Routes in and around Karkloof

DR ◣◢

I'd be very keen on obtaining some GPX files if you dont mind sharing.

I suppose one can look on strava as well?

Check out Trailforks.com. You can get the GPX files from there.

Check out Trailforks.com. You can get the GPX files from there.

Yeah, I found trailforks almost impossible to use when trying to use it on my Garmin. 

Will give it a bash with the computer, and transfer to the GPS.

Oh balls. I didn’t know that.

I looked at the 37km route and to my knowledge it includes a segment called “free fall”. On trailforks that didn’t seem to be the case.

I plotted out my 50km to the fire tower and back and i really hope it’s accurate. Solo mission and getting lost does not sound like fun.

Not sure how accurate trailforks is, due to the “community “ perhaps not updating routes as often. 
last time we were there, we could not ride the majority of the longer loops due to logging activity.

safest prolly is looking at strava, and piecing something together from that.

I will also try and contact the club to see if they can offer some info regarding permits etc

Looking at Sisonke at the moment. 

There seems to be a split with Ubhuti kaSisonke splitting to the right and Sisonke itself to the left. 

They appear to be the same distance with Ubhuti having a slightly smaller amount of climbing. 

Both are double black diamond. 

Does anyone know which is the better of the two to take? 

We will be in Hilton from the 21st till 2nd Jan. Having only ridden Karkloof twice before, I am really excited to have more time to ride there. 

All this talk of climbing is making my legs hurt already...maybe, I should slap on the 20t, or at least take it along....

Moffie.

32x17 is fine. Just take lots of water.

It is surprisingly hot under the canopy of trees. The humidity takes it out of us Vaalies 

Moffie.

32x17 is fine. Just take lots of water.

It is surprisingly hot under the canopy of trees. The humidity takes it out of us Vaalies 

My main concern is inability to climb properly, due to the level of beer consumption during this time.

So yes, water, lots of it.

and maybe some cement

• 1 month later...

Rocknrolla....you will be fine. I took chukky up there a few years ago and he survived. Granted the temp was 42 deg at the top of the bat that day. Looking forward to some feedback from you

Edited by blondeonabike

Rocknrolla....you will be fine. I took chukky up there a few years ago and he survived. Granted the temp was 42 deg at the top of the bat that day. Looking forward to some feedback from you

Sadly I didn’t make it all the way to battle the bat. The legs couldn’t get past Windsong and the weather was turning.

Still managed to hurl myself back down Windsong (nasty little prickly plants and all) and back to the club via Khyber pass. At that point the dog was so thick i couldn’t see more than 5 meters in front of me.

Worth every second of riding. Us JHB boys don’t know what climbing is.

On glad you had a good time. The weather here the last few days has been very wet and foggy. You made the right decision to head back....when its foggy you can get lost in those mountains for days.

The climbing takes some getting used to but the views are amazing.

Edited by blondeonabike

We had an awesome time, thanks Blondie. Tried to fit in as much as we could of all the karkloof trails. Didnt ride bat, but we rode almost everything else. 
That area is amazing, it’s quite depressing being back in the big smoke. We just dont have trails like that up here. 

RocknRolla

Drop me a message when you’re next down here....happy to play tour guide for Karkloof/Howick and Cascades...

We had an awesome time, thanks Blondie. Tried to fit in as much as we could of all the karkloof trails. Didnt ride bat, but we rode almost everything else.

That area is amazing, it’s quite depressing being back in the big smoke. We just dont have trails like that up here.