DIY Kickr Headwind

We need to chat about how you got your gate motor to work on a SONOFF

As for the fan, surely there must be a SONOFF hack out there that will link it to HR.

Get this 5V-24V one. It has a NO/NC Relay. You power it from the 12V directly from the Gate Motor Controller. Then you take a wire from the COM terminal on the Gate Controller and run it through the Relay and back to the TRG (Trigger) terminal on the Gate Controller.

https://www.banggood.com/5V-WiFi-Remote-Garage-Door-Opener-Controller-Work-with-Alexa-and-IFTTT-Google-home-Wireless-Remote-Control-Switch-p-1469157.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=ZA&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-za-en-pc&currency=ZAR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=xibei&utm_campaign=xibei-ssc-za-all-0622&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpt4EBIpqEELTS9qAzqaiVjVPcLHFhleU3MsexJXK0DPBI7_vWsfaKEaAm5pEALw_wcB&cur_warehouse=CN

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. Thanks.

I’ve managed to have my geyser running on a SONOFF for about 6 months, have the pool motor plus a few lights too. The gate motor was the next step

I have 2 fans. 1 aimed at my upper body and one aimed at my lower half.

I turn them both on full blast.

I work out for 80 minutes, fall off the bike, wade through the pool of sweat I've just made, go outside and sit down on the cold floor for a few minutes, get my wits back and stumble in to turn off the fans.

Having the fans go slower is never an option. Ever.

^This, fans should always be full, you will get hot really quickly.

A sonoff basic, Shelly 1 or any other remote relay can turn the fan on and off, speed control isnt a big deal.

Have you considered two or three smaller fans? Each on their own “remote” switch. As needed you switch two then three on to regulate cool air.

I do this with two fans here in Dubai. None on to start with, then switch the first on on and about 30min in the second one.

Just looking?

I was hoping to find a electrical engineer floating around here thats already made a working prototype  :ph34r:

I was looking at this after i'd built a Rocker Plate and we were in lockdown.

Post lockdown, i picked up a Headwind  :whistling:  so never went through finding all the bits and hacking my old fan.

:oops: see my below suggestion is already listed  :D 

Run 2 fans with the on/off close to you, 1 on high, 1 on med.

Switch them on as needed  :blush:

Edited by Clinton - theCOW

Have you considered two or three smaller fans? Each on their own “remote” switch. As needed you switch two then three on to regulate cool air.

I do this with two fans here in Dubai. None on to start with, then switch the first on on and about 30min in the second one.

What do you for that first 30min? 5min and I'm full taps.

As for the fan, surely there must be a SONOFF hack out there that will link it to HR.

Chris my booooy, I have the solution and it's Homekit approved and works well.  Putting in new house garage door and gate.  Not too expensive either.  Will iMessage you shortly.  Just have Seth on my case. LOL   

(cue all the Android and Garmin fanbboiiiis going bef0k right now)

Basically just with one of these:

https://www.smartkit.co.za/product/sonoff-re5v1c/

And the I got one of those programmable gate remotes, and soldered the switch output from the Sonoff switch across the button on the gate remote, and I cut a usb cable in half and soldered it onto the voltage input for the board to use a power source.  

What was really cool though was up to a while ago, I could use my garmin watch to control my gate...  :thumbup: . But then sonoff made it a paid service to integrate with IFTTT, so that dream died. 

Seems the easiest solution to solve this problem is to just use a smart plug and have the fan on full taps all the time once you're warmed up. 

It would be nice though to somehow link it to HR so that on slower, tempo rides, the fan doesn't blow you away, but as soon as you push a bit, the fan ramps up.

Linking it to speed seems completely illogical though. Grinding up a hill in zwift would mean lowest speed at highest effort, and then freewheeling down the other side would mean full fan speed at no effort. 

Seems a bit exessive to have 3 fans and switches. I reckon you're getting close to the same money as just buying a kickr headwind at that stage

Chris my booooy, I have the solution and it's Homekit approved and works well.  Putting in new house garage door and gate.  Not too expensive either.  Will iMessage you shortly.  Just have Seth on my case. LOL   

(cue all the Android and Garmin fanbboiiiis going bef0k right now)

Sounds like you have some experience with these things... Any chance you can hack us a little home kit that can replace the switches on "non-smart" fans and link them to HR?

Sounds like you have some experience with these things... Any chance you can hack us a little home kit that can replace the switches on "non-smart" fans and link them to HR?

You can easily do this with home kit... but not sure how to link to HR.  And you'd need to be deep in Apple eco system.   I use Siri on a Homepod when on IDT.  I just shout "hey Siri, 50% fan" and boom, done.  But automatically, not sure.

You can easily do this with home kit... but not sure how to link to HR.  And you'd need to be deep in Apple eco system.   I use Siri on a Homepod when on IDT.  I just shout "hey Siri, 50% fan" and boom, done.  But automatically, not sure.

When last did you get on a trainer?

Sweet. Thanks.

I’ve managed to have my geyser running on a SONOFF for about 6 months, have the pool motor plus a few lights too. The gate motor was the next step

If you really want to do it the easy way the just use a Sonoff SV and connect the relay to the button on a spare remote. My gate and garage are both controlled off the same remote with a dual relay.

We have a really long driveway so wifi doesnt reach the gate motor and the next easiest solution was to hijack a remote.

i did both my gate and garage with this method.

my switches looked different but the concept is the same - i used a dremel to cut my board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76OQI5Xx2k&ab_channel=CsongorVarga

alternatively but the R600 switch that is made for gates and garages.

Edited by Furbz