Handlebar stem length

WaynejG

So I somehow ended up reading about how stem length can improve the handling on a MTB. They say a 60-70mm length stem is the way to go. So I measured mine and it is 100mm. Will the shorter stem make so much difference? Will it not drastically change the way the bike fits me?

It goes hand in hand with bar width though. I’m assuming if you still have like a 720mm or narrower bar in there if you have a 100mm stem? You’d need to up that to roughly 780mm ish with a 60mm stem and then the fit should be similar. It doesn’ t necessarily improve the handeling...it again depends on what kind of riding you do. Yea sure, if you do lots of trail riding the handeling is better with short stem and wider bars. It will feel more direct. If you are more into jeeptrack/gravel/marathon type grinding...longer stem and narrower bars still feel better to me since it numbs the steering a bit at higher speeds and smooths it out a bit more.

Edited by morneS555

To me it depends on your bike fit to start with.  If your set up is ideal adjusting your stem length by 3 - 4 cm may improve handling will but compromise your position.  If you are going for a new frame then by all means go for a shorter stem/larger frame combination.  Pushing the saddle back to compensate may not be the right move as the saddle setback distance (vertical line from centre of BB to point of saddle) is probably even more important than stem length.  I would look at this type of change together with a bike fit technician.

Bike fit improves handling, stem length and bars width are a product of the process.

That been said, 100mm on a 29er is on the lengthy side.

I ride a 80 to 90mm stem, inverted at 7 degrees but my shoes size is different to yours. So find the fit that works for you.

Cross country differs to downhill, setup and fit are from different recipe books....

Edited by BMXER

What bike do you have? Mine came standard with a 45mm stem and 780mm bars, and the steering was super responsive, but I sat too upright and as a result my lower back suffered. Went with 60mm and it is better. Marginally less responsive but at least my lower back appreciates it more.

What bike do you have? Mine came standard with a 45mm stem and 780mm bars, and the steering was super responsive, but I sat too upright and as a result my lower back suffered. Went with 60mm and it is better. Marginally less responsive but at least my lower back appreciates it more.

Anthem

I found i was always understeering in corners on my 29er with 80mm stem - changed to 50mm - problem sorted i run 720mm bars

I've recently acquired a new bike with much wider handlebars and shorter stem than the old one and it's a lot more stable. The old one has narrow bars and a long stem and it's super twitchy. The shorter stem on it's own would probably make it even more so, so you need to have a wider handlebar to balance it out. If possible try an 80mm first and see how that is? The wider bars also affect your reach.

I'm now sitting with the opposite problem, I have a 40mm stem and want to fit a longer one because the reach is a bit short.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/mtb-stem-buying-guide

https://mountaintreads.com/understanding-mountain-bike-stem-length-and-handling/

Anthem

So it is an XC bike with a 100mm stem. Sounds about right to me.

Personally and just my opinion, I would not go less than 70mm. If you do not have any handling issues at the moment and you fit nicely on the bike without any physical ailments, changing anything on the stem might just be a waste of money. If you do feel that your reach is a bit too far and you would like a bit more response, then consider a stem between 70 and 90mm. Also depends on your riding. If you do mostly normal XC riding with an odd technical trail here and there, then it is not worth fiddling with a proper fitting bike.

Edited by Wimmas

So I somehow ended up reading about how stem length can improve the handling on a MTB. They say a 60-70mm length stem is the way to go. So I measured mine and it is 100mm. Will the shorter stem make so much difference? Will it not drastically change the way the bike fits me?

Are you happy with the way your bike rides?

Don’t listen to what “they” say if you don’t have any issues. If your current stem is 100mm then i estimate your Anthem to be about 6 to 8 years old.

Much different geometry back then and bikes were designed around narrow bars and long stems.

Do you know what your current bar width is?

• 2 weeks later...

So just for testing purposes, a buddy had a spare 60mm stem floating around. The steering seems sharper and more direct so no surprises there.

On trails that I really know, my times are still pretty much the same.

The one strange thing I have noticed and it makes absolutely no sense, is that my legs don't seem to be as efficient as before. It's almost like I am battling to keep the same pace and cadence.

Tomorrow I will put the 100mm stem back and test it again.

So just for testing purposes, a buddy had a spare 60mm stem floating around. The steering seems sharper and more direct so no surprises there.

On trails that I really know, my times are still pretty much the same.

The one strange thing I have noticed and it makes absolutely no sense, is that my legs don't seem to be as efficient as before. It's almost like I am battling to keep the same pace and cadence.

Tomorrow I will put the 100mm stem back and test it again.

I’ve experienced the same with regards to putting power down. A more upright position had me putting down less power than in a more stretched out flat back riding position.

The 60mm will put you more upright.

Not sure why this happens. Experts please chime in.

Different muscles being recruited? With time you should adapt.

Probably not the case here (or maybe it is), but with a steeper seat tube angle you start using your quads more and glutes less.

I’ve experienced the same with regards to putting power down. A more upright position had me putting down less power than in a more stretched out flat back riding position.

The 60mm will put you more upright.

Not sure why this happens. Experts please chime in.

Maybe the same reason why you can incline leg press 250kg but only squat 50kg? Lol

Ive gone back and forth the last couple of weekends between 60mm/780 and 90mm/740mm setups on my SS mtb and i swear i’m faster with the longer stem and narrower bars (more stretched out). It defo feels less comfy but it also feels like a lot more power can be put down when you need to.

Edited by morneS555