DARRVIN PEAK II E-bike

Mark James

Hey hubbers

Read an article on the new Darrvin Peak II e-bike in the latest bicycling mag (there was also an article in the last edition on the Darrvin Evolve), and both bikes look half decent, and at a great price point. 

I recently purchased myself a really nice sub 10kg dual-sus, and the idea is that the e-bike can be used by my wife when she joins me on dirt roads, jeep tracks. And of course I can use it when feeling hungover or lazy... 

So, the big Q is... Darrvin Peak II: Good or Bad??? 

Any thoughts, or any hubbers rode the bike or purchased one? OR rather spend a little more on an entry level from a well know brand... ? 

Edited by markjamesmulholland@gmail.com

Mark do know which batteries and motors it use ?

Bosch, Brose, etc are known and parts readily available.

Maybe check with places such as Chilled Squirrel.

Buying something that only the importers can service limits your options ...

Also look at the battery size, and options .... maybe a range extender or a second battery.

Rule of thumb ... 10km range for each 100W.h of the battery. 500W.h may well be more than enough in the beginning, but will limit your options ...

Buying another battery ... uhm jaaaa ... R22k for a Spez 800W.h battery ....

Mark do know which batteries and motors it use ?

Bosch, Brose, etc are known and parts readily available.

Maybe check with places such as Chilled Squirrel.

Buying something that only the importers can service limits your options ...

Also look at the battery size, and options .... maybe a range extender or a second battery.

Rule of thumb ... 10km range for each 100W.h of the battery. 500W.h may well be more than enough in the beginning, but will limit your options ...

Buying another battery ... uhm jaaaa ... R22k for a Spez 800W.h battery ....

CONTROLLER: Bafang D-PC18

BATTERY: DARRVIN Insider 500Wh Internal

DRIVE: Bafang M420 350W ISIS

So on your "rule of thumb", should get 50km on a charge... Which is kind of good enough for me, and my wife I guess. The blah-blah on their site says the following; "someone who weighs about 70Kg, riding across varied terrain with moderate undulation and a steady cadence of 70-80 rpm can control the range through battery management using the mode settings afforded by the control system. He/She could expect to get anything between 80-120Km from a single battery charge"

So the battery seems fairly on point with the current standard - or according to your informative article on e-bikes which I enjoyed reading :) 

Edited by markjamesmulholland@gmail.com

Haven't heard of "chilled squirrel", going to pour another glass of Malbec and start googling :)

Friend brought back a commuter ebike from Europe.

One of the brands we dont get in this side .... when they had a technical issue this company sorted them out

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.chilledsquirrel.com/&ved=2ahUKEwiY8LHxtZzvAhW-UBUIHXr_BToQ_BcwBXoECAgQBA&usg=AOvVaw155fg1QnrwllPIQYbIPoNZ

To add, they treated her exceptionally well from the outset.

Thanks for that, I've emailed them asking for a test ride on their PEAK II, so will hopefully check it out this week 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reference Hairy.

I bought one of their demo bikes today.

As you said, VERY good service :)

They have some very nice bikes coming in.

R4k for a spare 500W.h battery at Darrvin.

Some pictures of that new bike.

Did you buy the gravel bike for your commute?

Congrats and enjoy your new bike.

Thanks.

The Darvvin Connect is very nice all rounder bike. The 700.50c slick tires hints to its intended use on tar, while providing more comfort than a road bike for roads.

Yes, this will be my commuter. It also opens up options for longer tar based rides. Bucket list - to ride the Argus (CTCT) on this bike ...

Pics to follow ... still need to swop out saddles and pedals, then setup ... but I first need to finish a major service on a 24" ...

Thanks.

The Darvvin Connect is very nice all rounder bike. The 700.50c slick tires hints to its intended use on tar, while providing more comfort than a road bike for roads.

Yes, this will be my commuter. It also opens up options for longer tar based rides. Bucket list - to ride the Argus (CTCT) on this bike ...

Pics to follow ... still need to swop out saddles and pedals, then setup ... but I first need to finish a major service on a 24" ...

Pitchas or it never happened 

So here is my do-it-all-commuter-road-rider bike  :thumbup:

post-110956-0-69757500-1617451911_thumb.jpg

Glad I took it outside for the pics.  The sun really brings out the colour, indoors it is a very dull finish.

These gives a very good indication of its intended purpose ....

post-110956-0-20276200-1617451918_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-60804000-1617451927_thumb.jpg

(the bell comes from the previous standard bike .... very handy for commutes, though on an ebike I will think twice before using it ...)  :blink: