Missing Link Needs Your Help

Thermophage

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we can get a bunch of people together to help, runners included. I assume most riders./runners haven't donated with the SnapScan link anyway, so this would be a great opportunity to contribute in another way (or donate some $$) ;)

Will they fill in the rocks with sand and smaller rocks and build the berms a little smoother?

Also those jumps and drops are dangerous, can they make it bit more rideable for everyone

Will they fill in the rocks with sand and smaller rocks and build the berms a little smoother?

Also those jumps and drops are dangerous, can they make it bit more rideable for everyone

well having ridden it recently they will need to fill in some rocky bits in the odd place.

But I reckon it's more about how sandy and loos baby headdy some areas have become that needs remedying. OR...to finish up the link to the other side. That's all speculation though. I'm not involved with Table Mountain Bikers or whoever is running it.

Hopefully not the ppl in charge of smoothing over Tokai of late though. Spoke to an oke who's been riding Tokai since the 80's and even he was wondering why Snakes have been smoothed over so much of late too :(

Or you were trilling :P 

Edited by Thermophage

well having ridden it recently they will need to fill in some rocky bits in the odd place.

But I reckon it's more about how sandy and loos baby headdy some areas have become that needs remedying. OR...to finish up the link to the other side. That's all speculation though. I'm not involved with Table Mountain Bikers or whoever is running it.

Hopefully not the ppl in charge of smoothing over Tokai of late though. Spoke to an oke who's been riding Tokai since the 80's and even he was wondering why Snakes have been smoothed over so much of late too :(

Or you were trilling :P

The trails are always smoothed out this time of the year. Just before the rain comes and just after they were all gutted through a long and dry summer.

They will be 'back to normal' in no time.

Every single year people complain about tokai/jonkers/hoogekraal etc being smoothed out and every single year the trails land up being exactly as they are supposed to be.

Tokai is riding so nicely at the moment. Donkey trail into broken road is drool worthy, the DH trails are super fast and flowy, all mountain is rocky and uncomfortably rutted in places.... It offer a bit of everything. If you are complaining about Tokai at the moment, you must be one miserable SOB! hahahahaha

The trails are always smoothed out this time of the year. Just before the rain comes and just after they were all gutted through a long and dry summer.

They will be 'back to normal' in no time.

Every single year people complain about tokai/jonkers/hoogekraal etc being smoothed out and every single year the trails land up being exactly as they are supposed to be.

Tokai is riding so nicely at the moment. Donkey trail into broken road is drool worthy, the DH trails are super fast and flowy, all mountain is rocky and uncomfortably rutted in places.... It offer a bit of everything. If you are complaining about Tokai at the moment, you must be one miserable SOB! hahahahaha

No, what I am referring to is not simple trail maintenance Jewwie, unfortunately.

If i were misconstruing the two then I should not be riding a bike.

I'm talking about taking rocks out of the way, making landings smooth, turning A-lines on a downhill track into B-lines on an XCO track, removing a gap jump from a DH line, emoving a roller which one could double with some serious effort and was immensely challenging,etc.

I wish it was just I who was noting these things, then it'd be simple to say I was simply overstating it.

All mountain is the only one still in a potentially "black" trail category.

If you are not seeing this then you gotta be a blind SOB ;) How's the Helm been btw?

Edited by Thermophage

No, what I am referring to is not simple trail maintenance Jewwie, unfortunately.

I'm talking about taking rocks out of the way, making landings smooth, turning A-lines on a downhill track into B-lines on an XCO track, removing a gap jump from a DH line, emoving a roller which one could double with some serious effort and was immensely challenging,etc.

I wish it was just I who was noting these things, then it'd be simple to say I was simply overstating it.

If you are not seeing this then you gotta be a blind SOB ;) How's the Helm been btw?

Thankfully you are in the very vocal minority - BTW have you joined TokaiMTB? Do you help fund the trail work, security presence and  injured rider recovery we do...? 

Thankfully you are in the very vocal minority - BTW have you joined TokaiMTB? Do you help fund the trail work, security presence and  injured rider recovery we do...? 

Yeah the minority that is vocal, let alone the masses of people who just don't publicize it.

It's also VERY simple to make it look like everyone is happy when you delete any and all comments on your social media accounts that come near to questioning things such as this.

To answer the other questions, no.

And I am reticent to bother, not since I had a very long telephonic convo with one of the trail builders who doesn't ride (or ride anymore?) made it abundantly clear what his stance was.

Anyway, that is wholly beside the point. If you grade a trail black, you DO NOT make the A-line features blue. That is pretty plain and simple.

Edited by Thermophage

Yeah the minority that is vocal, let alone the masses of people who just don't publicize it.

To answer the other questions, no.

And Iam reticent to bother, not since I had a very long telephonic convo with one of the trail builders who doesn't ride (or ride anymore?) made it abundantly clear what his stance was.

Anyway, that is wholly beside the point. If you grade a trail black, you DO NOT make the A-line features blue. That is pretty plain and simple.

We choose to focus on the very vocal majority help support the trails and let us know how much they love the work we do. 

If you ride one of these dumbed down trails and manage to damage yourself severely enough to need help, feel free to call us for a lift down :-) 

We choose to focus on the very vocal majority help support the trails and let us know how much they love the work we do. 

If you ride one of these dumbed down trails and manage to damage yourself severely enough to need help, feel free to call us for a lift down :-) 

What exactly does hurting yourself have to do with anything? You know that's a totally BS argument.

This is mountain biking dude, we all knew there was potential to hurt yourself when we started.

If you enter a trail with a grading level of X then you know to expect features of difficulty X. You walk things first etc. Don't pretend you have to be the custodian of other people, they are more than capable of taking responsibility for themselves.

Someone can hurt themselves BADLY on a tar road with zero features or a green trail etc.

And you know all too well more often than not it is excess speed leading to massive deceleration that's the problem, not a significantly slower more technical feature.

Come now don't be silly for silly's sake.

Edited by Thermophage

What exactly does hurting yourself have to do with anything? You know that's a totally BS argument.

This is mountain biking dude, we all knew there was potential to hurt yourself when we started.

If you enter a trail with a grading level of X then you know to expect features of difficulty X. You walk things first etc. Don't pretend you have to be the custodian of other people, they are more than capable of taking responsibility for themselves.

Someone can hurt themselves BADLY on a tar road with zero features or a green trail etc.

And you know all too well more often than not it is excess speed leading to massive deceleration that's the problem, not a significantly slower more technical feature.

Come now don't be silly for silly's sake.

I think your problem is comprehension. You don't support the trail building at Tokai either publicly (quite the opposite in fact) or financially but you see fit to dis the trails at every turn.   

You and your non-supporting buddies will be the first to call for or make use of the assistance  on offer if you can't make it down the mountain after a crash. A service other people pay for. Got it yet?  

I haven't really noticed anything untoward going on TBH, I've been too busy having the most fun there.

IMHO the trails are riding just as they should and the 'park' is the most fun it's been since there were trees.

I remember being gutted when someone removed the roots and rock from the top corner of Boulders, or created chicken lines around the drops on DH1 and 2. Now I just ride the features and enjoy them.

The plan to build a climbing trail like IRISH will be so cool. I do miss the blue gums climb and being able to loop the single track, but as it stands, gnar on Donkey/AM, fast flowy radness on Snakes, jumps and fast stuff on the DH and both Vasbyt lines are running amazingly considering the summer we've had.

I'm stoked, and will continue to be stoked as the trail mending becomes less obvious and a few more rocks and ruts become visible after some rain.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but I don't think anything happening there is detrimental to the trail network as a whole.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I was part of the 1st build crews who started building Vasbyt parallel to the road in the mid 90s. I wasn't aware there were bike trails in Tokai in the 80s. In the 90's We used to illegally ride our BMX's and MB1's and 2's to level 5 and ride down the Elephants Eye hiking trail at night with home made lights that always overheated and burned our hands because there weren't bike trails. I'd love to know which tails I was missing in those days.

I think your problem is comprehension. You don't support the trail building at Tokai either publicly (quite the opposite in fact) or financially but you see fit to dis the trails at every turn.   

You and your non-supporting buddies will be the first to call for or make use of the assistance  on offer if you can't make it down the mountain after a crash. A service other people pay for. Got it yet?  

Nope, do not got it yet.

Perhaps a video is in order, going to every feature on the downhill track and categorising it according to IMBA before you will realise what I'm talking about.

You think more tech = more dangerous. Unfortunately, you are the problem then I am afraid:(

Time to change the name of this topic and re-post the original it seems.

Enough of trolls and being off topic.

I haven't really noticed anything untoward going on TBH, I've been too busy having the most fun there.

IMHO the trails are riding just as they should and the 'park' is the most fun it's been since there were trees.

I remember being gutted when someone removed the roots and rock from the top corner of Boulders, or created chicken lines around the drops on DH1 and 2. Now I just ride the features and enjoy them.

The plan to build a climbing trail like IRISH will be so cool. I do miss the blue gums climb and being able to loop the single track, but as it stands, gnar on Donkey/AM, fast flowy radness on Snakes, jumps and fast stuff on the DH and both Vasbyt lines are running amazingly considering the summer we've had.

I'm stoked, and will continue to be stoked as the trail mending becomes less obvious and a few more rocks and ruts become visible after some rain.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but I don't think anything happening there is detrimental to the trail network as a whole.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I was part of the 1st build crews who started building Vasbyt parallel to the road in the mid 90s. I wasn't aware there were bike trails in Tokai in the 80s. In the 90's We used to illegally ride our BMX's and MB1's and 2's to level 5 and ride down the Elephants Eye hiking trail at night with home made lights that always overheated and burned our hands because there weren't bike trails. I'd love to know which tails I was missing in those days.

Ag I used to ride there so often I would notice any change. Don't get me wrong, maintenance is important and nobody has said the trails are not fun, they certainly are. 

But it's just difficult to see things being down like removal of those rollers on snakes or the teenie tiny "gap" jump getting a bridge over it on a freaking downhill line.

Anyway, over n out for now, unless Headshot wants to continue harping on and on about his misunderstandings.

Nope, do not got it yet.

Perhaps a video is in order, going to every feature on the downhill track and categorising it according to IMBA before you will realise what I'm talking about.

You think more tech = more dangerous. Unfortunately, you are the problem then I am afraid:(

Time to change the name of this topic and re-post the original it seems.

Enough of trolls and being off topic.

Okay, just to be clear who the troll is, you posted about another trail but for some reason started your usual rant about Tokai. I know exactly what you're talking about  - you want big rocks and gnar and somehow Tokai falls short of your needs. Go ride elsewhere then but your negativity is tiresome, especially from someone who doesn't support because its seemingly against his principles but will still make use of the facilities . Just remember, someone else paid for those tracks you sometimes deign to ride :-)