947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

After a really tough year and a bit of all kinds of injury (trauma) and then the associated recovery in stops and starts I had decided riding a bike at races was the last thing I was concerned about. 

However I always rode when it was possible, sometimes round the block, at below walking effort but for my mind it helped. 

A few months ago my good mate Sam and his family decided that they would give me an entry to the short ride and it was in their opinion what I needed. Initially I thought ok whatever.... but as time went on I focused on not just riding but trying harder and I'm actually feeling good and thank the good Lord that they did that 😁

So .... decided with the possible crappy weather and that I need a comfy ride that my Monstercross will give with its fat tyres, tubeless and dinner plate/dangly jockey gears, just get to the finish and make use of all the water points and have a blast! 

Very different to the previous 17 times I've done it

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Neville Bailey said:

The start times in this document do not correspond to the WhatsApp and email messages I have received regarding my start time.

The communications state that my start batch is Q at 7:50am, but according to this document batch Q starts at 7:35am. Which is it?

Good question. 

Please let us know if you find anything out.

@Neville Bailey I just got off the phone with them and they told me that I should use the E-Brochure time. So that’s 15 minutes earlier. 

Edited by NicholasT
Updated info

just got back from the expo.

i picked up a number for someone else, he needed a timing board which was ordered, and in the envelope, but you have to pay another R30 for the mount. What *** is this ??

Also, expo was same old same old.

I did set a bench mark at Virgin Active stand for the longest plank of the day (so far). 

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

just got back from the expo.

i picked up a number for someone else, he needed a timing board which was ordered, and in the envelope, but you have to pay another R30 for the mount. What *** is this ??

Also, expo was same old same old.

I did set a bench mark at Virgin Active stand for the longest plank of the day (so far). 

I have an extra one at home.

15 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I have an extra one at home.

thanks, I bought one for him already.

Just find it ridiculous that you pay for the board, and then you have to pay for the mount too.

For the licenced riders, do we ride with both thewhite FT board and the Yellow Race No board, or only the Yellow Race No board?

The information I am getting from people are contradictory.  I have also asked the question on the event WA no.

6 hours ago, Neville Bailey said:

The start times in this document do not correspond to the WhatsApp and email messages I have received regarding my start time.

The communications state that my start batch is Q at 7:50am, but according to this document batch Q starts at 7:35am. Which is it?

"Please be advised that the time difference from the seeding information previously communicated is the correct information.
The times communicated on the rider's guide are set for batch loading purposes to ensure all riders are loaded into the batches on time."

26 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

For the licenced riders, do we ride with both thewhite FT board and the Yellow Race No board, or only the Yellow Race No board?

The information I am getting from people are contradictory.  I have also asked the question on the event WA no.

Only the yellow board.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Only the yellow board.

Are you sure about this? 

Last year you had to have both - the faces board was your timing chip and the other was just a number board.

Edited by Schnavel