947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

3 minutes ago, Pieter-za said:

and many (majority?) are in denial re this simple truth and will try even more / different etc products next time, instead of training and to condition properly to deliver the required effort....

Easiest way to improve your training intensity - join a stronger rider for a longer ride ....

No matter how hard I try, on my own I cant ever ride at race effort on my own.

Okay, trying to maintain pace against the South Wester do help .... just not the same though

My WORST race ever for cramps were the 2019 Patat Fees ride .... Went out way to hard, and tried to hang with some stronger riders.  Started cramping mid way.  It was a painful day !!  And that had nothing to do with heat, or distance, or nutrition ....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Easiest way to improve your training intensity - join a stronger rider for a longer ride ....

No matter how hard I try, on my own I cant ever ride at race effort on my own.

Okay, trying to maintain pace against the South Wester do help .... just not the same though

My WORST race ever for cramps were the 2019 Patat Fees ride .... Went out way to hard, and tried to hang with some stronger riders.  Started cramping mid way.  It was a painful day !!  And that had nothing to do with heat, or distance, or nutrition ....

Yeah this is the truth.. I’ve always heard that.. you don’t get better by being the best.. you get better by being surrounded by the best..

2 hours ago, agilwolf said:

@Frosty, thank you for this.

Where does the below values (Sodium Concentration information) come from / how are the derived?

image.png.6b6eb615e9e1c95ef366ceeaa495edf5.png

The red cell would be from a sweat test to give you sodium (mg per litre) in your sweat loss.
The other two are supposed to be converted from the sweat rate (column J) and sweat conc. value (column N). Copy these two formulae into the last two cells:

• =IF(N25="","",ROUND(N25*J25,0))
  • =IF(O25="","",ROUND(O25*(C25/60),0))

Then copy the formulae down to the other cells below. If you don't enter in the shaded cells, it will show blank.

image.png.b6cae1dc19c366e845d2d17e40a1d0d2.png

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you are using Game and bananas you probably aren’t getting enough fuel in, to sustain longer workouts. You then go down another pathway that is a performance decline. Add the high temperatures and insufficient fluid intake, and you  compound the problem.

Game has 21g (carbs) of mixed as per instruction. A medium-sized banana (Woolies info) has about 15g. That’s 36g, which for many is enough for a low- to medium-duration ride of 2-4 hours but not higher intensity activities.

I have tried all the stuff on the market and Gu Salty caffeine works .I will eat at the waterpoint , but only fruit and jelly sweets .I completed 2019 ACE on blueberries ,bananas and the odd USN gel .I hate eating on the bike and energy bars suck .Whenever i train i only use Game and water ,so my body is used to it 

5 minutes ago, eala said:

I have tried all the stuff on the market and Gu Salty caffeine works .I will eat at the waterpoint , but only fruit and jelly sweets .I completed 2019 ACE on blueberries ,bananas and the odd USN gel .I hate eating on the bike and energy bars suck .Whenever i train i only use Game and water ,so my body is used to it 

I’ve watched a video on having to train your stomach to eat during an endurance effort.. I hate eating on the bike, bars, gels, fruit, anything, it all makes me feel so sick.. 

only on long rides I take food. 1/2 hour rides I just take liquids..

Can anyone please send me a Google Maps location of the RAF Smile Activation photograph point?

I'm unable to find my photograph searching by race number, so i'm trying to figure out what time I went through that area to manually search for it.

2 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

I’ve watched a video on having to train your stomach to eat during an endurance effort.. I hate eating on the bike, bars, gels, fruit, anything, it all makes me feel so sick.. 

For some frame of reference -

I spoke to a dietitian about what I should eat and drink on "longer rides", in preparation of a 3 day stage race with roughly 5+ hours per day.

FIRST HOUR your breakfast should be more than sufficient.

Nothing more than water needed.

If you are heading out on a multi-hour ride, sure than you start sipping your gummy-berry-juice earlier, also nibling away on your food.

PS - drink water for the thirst, and take your gummy-berry-juice for the electrolytes (and possibly feeding, depending on your nutrition plan)

DONT wait until you are thirsty to dip into the juice .... DONT wait until you bonk to reach for the eats ....

Set your Garmin to remind you at 20 or 30 minute intervals to drink and eat .... and as said so many time, you need to train your gut .....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

For some frame of reference -

I spoke to a dietitian about what I should eat and drink on "longer rides", in preparation of a 3 day stage race with roughly 5+ hours per day.

FIRST HOUR your breakfast should be more than sufficient.

Nothing more than water needed.

If you are heading out on a multi-hour ride, sure than you start sipping your gummy-berry-juice earlier, also nibling away on your food.

PS - drink water for the thirst, and take your gummy-berry-juice for the electrolytes (and possibly feeding, depending on your nutrition plan)

DONT wait until you are thirsty to dip into the juice .... DONT wait until you bonk to reach for the eats ....

Set your Garmin to remind you at 20 or 30 minute intervals to drink and eat .... and as said so many time, you need to train your gut .....

100%.!

1 to 2 hour rides a just use liquids, also because I’m trying to lose the last couple inches off my belly🤣🤣.. 

my garmin is set to 15 minutes for drinking and 30 minutes for food. I’ll have a gel or two just incase on shorter rides but seldom use them in the first two hours.. 

Planned longer rides I’ll start eating early on.. 947 I was forcing down a bar at every 30 minutes and then a gel on every hour.. 

online calculator suggested 32 grams per hour to sustain myself.. think I could up that though from what I’m experiencing with that.. 

My bottles are always one plain water and then the other with electrolyte mix.. or just oros🤣🤣

3 hours ago, eala said:

Intensity drives the demand for fuel (fat, carbs and sometimes protein). The harder it gets (intensity), and also for longer endurance rides, the more carbs you may need to sustain the effort(s). Fats can only be used up to a point before you run out of energy and you’re forced to go slower.

3 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

“High performance” drink mixes allow you to take carbs in liquid form vs having to chew whole food, or manufactured products like gels and bars. Some are too sweet, so diluting it simply cuts the benefit they bring. Those performance mixes are usually upwards of 60g carbs per serving (rounded).

The training you mention is also to “stomach” higher volumes of carbs per hour, and not just the ability to chew and digest.

Half hour rides you don’t need anything, although with the heat it’s a good idea to drink water.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Intensity drives the demand for fuel (fat, carbs and sometimes protein). The harder it gets (intensity), and also for longer endurance rides, the more carbs you may need to sustain the effort(s). Fats can only be used up to a point before you run out of energy and you’re forced to go slower.

“High performance” drink mixes allow you to take carbs in liquid form vs having to chew whole food, or manufactured products like gels and bars. Some are too sweet, so diluting it simply cuts the benefit they bring. Those performance mixes are usually upwards of 60g carbs per serving (rounded).

The training you mention is also to “stomach” higher volumes of carbs per hour, and not just the ability to chew and digest.

Half hour rides you don’t need anything, although with the heat it’s a good idea to drink water.

Yeah so my math was 1 bar and a gel every hour and then the carb mix just to supplement that.. so maybe every second drink was from that bottle..

sorry I realize now it looks like a said half an hour ride(1/2) I meant 1 to 2 hour training rides..😉🤘🏻

yeah the eating wasn’t the problem, although I struggle to breath through my nose at the best of times so it can be a bit of a challenge(broken nose as a kid).. it’s shortly afterwards that makes me feel so nauseated.. does go away, maybe 5 to 10 minutes

58 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

Yeah so my math was 1 bar and a gel every hour and then the carb mix just to supplement that.. so maybe every second drink was from that bottle..

sorry I realize now it looks like a said half an hour ride(1/2) I meant 1 to 2 hour training rides..😉🤘🏻

yeah the eating wasn’t the problem, although I struggle to breath through my nose at the best of times so it can be a bit of a challenge(broken nose as a kid).. it’s shortly afterwards that makes me feel so nauseated.. does go away, maybe 5 to 10 minutes

Are you planning on road or MTB races ?  Or, a mix of road and gravel events ?

ROAD - I find that snacking on an energy bar can be done on the straights.  Top tube bag works well for me.

MTB - Man o man ... different ball game !!  Before you get to swallow you are onto the next single track ....  Unless there is an obviously long easy gravel section I rather stop and have my snack.  At Augrabies I tried snacking on a gravel section, which turned out to be very corrugated !!  Half my energy bar fell on the ground and I had a fun time getting control of the bike.  So I now lean towards stopping for the snack, not as if I am about to miss out on a podium .... :whistling: 

Once you know the route you can also play a bit with your strategy.  If I know I need to have some juice in 5 minutes, but I am getting close to a climb then I take that sip earlier.  Not sure if it is "all in the mind" or actually beneficial, but it seems to help.  :thumbup:  (please dont correct me if it is all in the mind) :P

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Are you planning on road or MTB races ?  Or, a mix of road and gravel events ?

ROAD - I find that snacking on an energy bar can be done on the straights.  Top tube bag works well for me.

MTB - Man o man ... different ball game !!  Before you get to swallow you are onto the next single track ....  Unless there is an obviously long easy gravel section I rather stop and have my snack.  At Augrabies I tried snacking on a gravel section, which turned out to be very corrugated !!  Half my energy bar fell on the ground and I had a fun time getting control of the bike.  So I now lean towards stopping for the snack, not as if I am about to miss out on a podium .... :whistling: 

Once you know the route you can also play a bit with your strategy.  If I know I need to have some juice in 5 minutes, but I am getting close to a climb then I take that sip earlier.  Not sure if it is "all in the mind" or actually beneficial, but it seems to help.  :thumbup:  (please dont correct me if it is all in the mind) :P

I’m enjoying road but maybe one day I’ll venture into a bit of gravel.. Yeah I love my top tube bag.. I 100% hear you.. I live up in the fourways area so I cycle the 947 section from woodmead up kyalami and to bryanston a bunch of times before the race to familiarize myself.. I didn’t quite stick to the 30 minutes eating as I would have been eating on kyalami climb.. rather eat on the woodmead section before the climb.. same on the homestead climb.. 

And made sure I had a quick sip of my carb drink when my garmin warned me a climb was close..

I read that gels and bars can take 3 to 15 minutes to kick in.. so also tried to take that into consideration.. 

haha dude, I’m not even comfortable yet having both hands off the bars at the same time.. eating on the move on a trail would be tough for me.. on a training ride I prefer stopping to eat even.. like I said I struggle to breath through my nose so if I’m chewing too much I lose my breath badly🤣🤣.. 

Anyone know how to use the photo voucher from 947 to get photos? I've been trying to download a Fab4 which costs less than the voucher but checkout still requires money. 

Please help. First 947 Road race completed

37 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Was wondering how long it would take them, just received an email, entries for 2024 have now opened with early bird pricing.

If we enter now we may get an even better seeding than this year 🤣