Cannondale Rush 26" - Can I fit a headset for a tapered steerer?

Rolf Hansen

I have a 2008 Cannondale Rush 26 and want to try a mullet setup but straight steerer  air spring forks for anything but 26" is almost impossible to find.

The manual states it can take Headshok Integration System Headset or OnePointFive 1.5 (38.1mm) headsets.

Can anyone give me an indication if I will be able to run a tapered steered with the proper headset and if so what exactly I need in order to do this. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

image.png.de7edd5fc1c929a9e0bbd492c7ae1521.png

You need a headshok to 1&1/8th conversion headset that any lbs can order from omnico.

the Lower tier Rush 26 did come with a RS Reba back then so it’s been done. You can also convert the bike to 650b by limiting the rear wheel travel to 95mm from 112mm through spacers in the shock.

then you could fit a 29er fork as well….

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

You need a headshok to 1&1/8th conversion headset that any lbs can order from omnico.

the Lower tier Rush 26 did come with a RS Reba back then so it’s been done. You can also convert the bike to 650b by limiting the rear wheel travel to 95mm from 112mm through spacers in the shock.

then you could fit a 29er fork as well….

Thanks. Any idea what such a headset is going to set me back, ballpark figure? The cost of the tiny piece of metal for the replacement derailleur hanger that I had to order made my eyes water. 

I have a Reba Team at the moment but it is a straight steerer. 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

Thanks. Any idea what such a headset is going to set me back, ballpark figure? The cost of the tiny piece of metal for the replacement derailleur hanger that I had to order made my eyes water. 

you will need the Headshok to Taper Headset. This will basically give you a new crown race to fit the lower headshok bearing and a new upper bearing assembly. Yu're looking at between R1250 to R1500.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

If the headset only accommodates a taper steerer, you can get an adapter/race to fit the straight steerer fork in the taper steerer ID headset. I have this on my STR.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:11 AM, DieselnDust said:

you will need the Headshok to Taper Headset. This will basically give you a new crown race to fit the lower headshok bearing and a new upper bearing assembly. Yu're looking at between R1250 to R1500.

I currently run a straight steerer RockShox Reba Team with a Woodman headset and not a Lefty so I assume the top bearing assembly would essentially remain the same?

This looks like the one - https://omnico.co.za/cannondale-pt-headset-int-h-shok-to-tape

Looks to be the same thing as specified here - https://www.bicyclebuys.com/cannondale-reducer-headset-si-headshok-to-1.5-1-1-8-tapered-kp205/0905485

Have a chat to the guys at www.custombikes.co.za for a Hope headset. They have a mix and match system that will allow you to run a tapered setup on your bike.

I had the same 1.5" headtube on my Morewood and needed a different top and bottom cup / bearing assembly to what is available in a complete kit. 

Cannondale headshok is not 1.5, it’s 1.56 which means that the headshok bearings don’t fit a 1.5 headset.

if you have a straight steerer tube fork then you will need a different lower bearing. The tapered headset is designed to convert a 1.5 lower bearing to fit headshok head tubes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 11:23 AM, DieselnDust said:

Cannondale headshok is not 1.5, it’s 1.56 which means that the headshok bearings don’t fit a 1.5 headset.

if you have a straight steerer tube fork then you will need a different lower bearing. The tapered headset is designed to convert a 1.5 lower bearing to fit headshok head tubes 

After searching all over the place and talking to 11.3 million people it seems nobody has a damn clue.

Combined all my researched knowledge and now know what I need (I think ???? ). The Carbon Rush has a a Headshok 1.56" headtube but the alloy one has a standard 1.5". I have an alloy one. Mine does not take the bearings into the frame but rather has cups that are pressed into the frame.

Long story short: what I need is a EC49/40 lower headset assembly. I will re-use the top assembly which is a ZS49/28.6

Am I making sense?

Edited by Rolf Hansen

Are you sure your model was 2008? I had both alloy and carbon and carbon scalpel and the all had headshok head tube. Some conversion kits used a press in sleeve to get it down to 1.5 or 1&1/8

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Are you sure your model was 2008? I had both alloy and carbon and carbon scalpel and the all had headshok head tube. Some conversion kits used a press in sleeve to get it down to 1.5 or 1&1/8

Flippit I checked based on the serial number and recall it being a 2008. Could have been 2009.

It is the Rush SL, not sure if that makes a difference.

This is the headset I currently have installed for my straight steerer Reba:

image.png.19eb915312efca65f2fe9da646c37b19.png