Race to the sun 2022

Grant Prince

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

1000m elevation over 160km doesn't seem too bad, makes me happy since I have done zero training.

Haha yeah I see its downhill but the last 60km has some nice climbs... Did a 105km this weekend and went out to fast with my limited training I will just need to focus on starting slow and hope for good weather 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is generally a flat route so you are constantly pedaling, no break on downhills ! 

Do the Wildevy ride this weekend if you can...................

Edited by coppi

Did my 1st 120Km ride last weekend. Worst part was numb hands, guess my setup needs a check. Also bought a Garmin edge 130 in the meantime. Bit small but an awesome little device. Using it more often that I thought. 

I've been peer pressured by a buddy into riding this. I had wanted to, but the entry seemed a bit too spendy. Lets hope its worth it! After the Grit Cradle I'm longing for some North West gravel again. Riding buddy is pretty fit and on a top spec Grail, so Tennisball and I are going to be doing our best to keep up.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:51 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

I was in, but a thousand rand to ride flat to sun city really isnt my thing. Have fun lads 

Ditto,wanted to enter but R1200 and the hassle of logistics is just seeming to be a stretch at the minute. Plus my nippers cricket prize giving on that Saturday. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 

14 hours ago, Pikey said:

Ditto,wanted to enter but R1200 and the hassle of logistics is just seeming to be a stretch at the minute. Plus my nippers cricket prize giving on that Saturday. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 

This has what's made me decide that 2022 won't cut it for me. Last time I was lucky as I scored free accom at Magalies Park, and the wife was in a great mood to drive out and back. 

• 4 weeks later...

So i did this event for the first time - first time doing an event in over 2 years - My partner & I decided to relay it as we didn't know what to expect and my fitness was questionable - I did the first half and was sorry we didn't just enter the full distance, was certainly good for the 2nd half. I think the graphic of the route is very misleading, the hills in the 2nd half look like monsters but, as my partner experienced they were not that hectic and was sure i could have handled them - We ride a lot together, so he knows my capacity or lack thereof when it comes to climbing. as I kind of suck at climbing.

Very well organized - water points & catering was the best i've experienced at an event - Well done King Price, we'll be back next year

Ye its a bit pricey and i've been known to whinge about event prices - But but I suppose its what you have to pay now days for these types of events. 

I found the 80km to 106km section proper tough. The sand and wind was the killer not so much the elevation. But no complaints, some suffering is expected and it was an awesome day out and I will definitely do it again.

Agreed on the second half...i found it much harder than last year...

Also support the comments on the race organisation - well stocked feed points and logistics

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

I found the 80km to 106km section proper tough. The sand and wind was the killer not so much the elevation. But no complaints, some suffering is expected and it was an awesome day out and I will definitely do it again.

I found the elevation tough as well. An uphill of about 20Km was definately not easy. 

As far as organization goes, this was top notch. Everything was on time, clearly marked, well thought out and really accommodating. Water points were a big highlight with lots of variety, stock and friendly faces. Props to the organizers.

Got in at 6h39, but went out way too hard in the first half (got to the halfway point in 2h40 with an average HR of 170BPM, or 1BPM below my threshold). My well-trained buddy and I got into a group that was really moving, and I worked hard to stick with them and do my turns up front.

After 100km I started cramping up, I think purely from over exertion, so from then on I was nursing cramping legs to the end. Stopped quite a few times to help people with mechanicals. 

Off topic, but yesterday confirmed my new mindset 110%. Unless something is going to be an experience, and everyone I'm riding with sees it as such, I'll most likely not enter another event again or in a team. Yesterday was exercise. I remember very little of the scenery, of the route, of the experience. I just remember working hard, thinking about when my turn is coming up, about how far we have left and the target time...

I ride bikes to have fun, and my definition of fun is getting to experience new things, feeling a sense of camaraderie, soaking in as much of whatever I'm doing as I can and having an adventure. It definitely isn't chasing some fictitious and self-instilled goal time which I realise I could not give less of a **** about as it makes zero difference to my or anyone else's life. It all seems to be very capitalist. Concerned with MORE and BETTER which never has an endgame (unless you're in the 0.01% that actually could be the best) rather than just being present in the moment.

This was a long ass way on a bicycle. I, however, enjoyed it. Mostly because the organization was absolutely amazing. The water points were like supermarkets with anything you’d need. The one strength before the KOM was an absolute mental challenge. 

Overall I think the experience is worth the price of admission. 

It was a tough day out for me, I had a good day up until 110k then my stomach started giving me hassles, had to go to the bushes and puked my lungs out, from there it was horrible and limped home.

As @TyronLab mentioned, I did not "Experience" the event.

Lessons learnt, I might be back for a "Cruise to the SUN"