Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

STRONG breakaway established, 4min lead:

Andrea Vendrame (AG2R Citroën), Mathieu Van der Poel, Stefano Oldani, Oscar Riesebeek (Alpecin-Fenix), Valerio Conti (Astana Qazaqstan), Santiago Buitrago, Jasha Sütterlin (Bahrain-Victorious), Wilco Kelderman (Bora-hansgrohe), Simone Consonni (Cofidis), Magnus Cort Nielsen (EF Education-EasyPost), Vincenzo Albanese (Eolo-Kometa), Lorenzo Rota, Rein Taaramäe (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert), Pascal Eenkhoorn, Gijs Leemreize (Jumbo-Visma), Michael Schwarzmann (Lotto Soudal), Will Barta (Movistar), Davide Ballerini (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl), Lucas Hamilton, Matteo Sobrero (BikeExchange-Jayco), Nico Denz (Team DSM) and Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo). 

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a breakaway.... took a while, all while doing 55kmh

Here are the 22 fugitives!

Andrea Vendrame (AG2R Citroën), Mathieu Van der Poel, Stefano Oldani, Oscar Riesebeek (Alpecin-Fenix), Valerio Conti (Astana Qazaqstan), Santiago Buitrago, Jasha Sütterlin (Bahrain-Victorious), Wilco Kelderman (Bora-hansgrohe), Simone Consonni (Cofidis), Magnus Cort Nielsen (EF Education-EasyPost), Vincenzo Albanese (Eolo-Kometa), Lorenzo Rota, Rein Taaramäe (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert), Pascal Eenkhoorn, Gijs Leemreize (Jumbo-Visma), Michael Schwarzmann (Lotto Soudal), Will Barta (Movistar), Davide Ballerini (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl), Lucas Hamilton, Matteo Sobrero (BikeExchange-Jayco), Nico Denz (Team DSM) and Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo). After 75km their advantage over the peloton is 1’25”.

I can hear Paul Hogan saying 'Now THIS is a break' But will they work to the end? The answer is 'probably not', but there are a few teams with multiple riders, so let's see. Don't blink! it's going to be rapid(er)

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

Andrea Vendrame (AG2R Citroën), Mathieu Van der Poel, Stefano Oldani, Oscar Riesebeek (Alpecin-Fenix), Valerio Conti (Astana Qazaqstan), Santiago Buitrago, Jasha Sütterlin (Bahrain-Victorious), Wilco Kelderman (Bora-hansgrohe), Simone Consonni (Cofidis), Magnus Cort Nielsen (EF Education-EasyPost), Vincenzo Albanese (Eolo-Kometa), Lorenzo Rota, Rein Taaramäe (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert), Pascal Eenkhoorn, Gijs Leemreize (Jumbo-Visma), Michael Schwarzmann (Lotto Soudal), Will Barta (Movistar), Davide Ballerini (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl), Lucas Hamilton, Matteo Sobrero (BikeExchange-Jayco), Nico Denz (Team DSM) and Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo). 

oh FFS!!! in this case, fastest-finger-second! 😅

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

Andrea Vendrame (AG2R Citroën), Mathieu Van der Poel, Stefano OldaniSNIP

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

here's a breakaway.... took a while, all while doing 55kmh

Here are the 22 fugitives!

Andrea Vendrame (AG2R Citroën), Mathieu Van der Poel, Stefano OldaniSNIP

Jinx!

3 riders approach the white chalk after a long day in the break. None of them ever had a WT stage victory. And the 2nd Italian in two days takes the glory. How the Italian psyche can access tears of joy so quickly, amazing.

And IWG grabs another handful of precious points and another podium spot. Wow!

Slight draggy finish today, plenty street furniture, cobbles - not sure it has 'bunch sprint' written all over it. The cat3 climb today crests @96km before the finish, so any team wanting to get rid of sprinters will have their work cut out, but I doubt any team has the appetite for that, considering today is forecast to be a baker, and the weekend's stages are beastly.

I suspect it'll be cagey. the break WILL be caught and a desperate Gaviria will win with an off-colour VDP not troubling the scorers. Place your bets people - you heard it here first.

4 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Slight draggy finish today, plenty street furniture, cobbles - not sure it has 'bunch sprint' written all over it. The cat3 climb today crests @96km before the finish, so any team wanting to get rid of sprinters will have their work cut out, but I doubt any team has the appetite for that, considering today is forecast to be a baker, and the weekend's stages are beastly.

I suspect it'll be cagey. the break WILL be caught and a desperate Gaviria will win with an off-colour VDP not troubling the scorers. Place your bets people - you heard it here first.

I 2nd that prediction Team UAE are eager for a win and to climb up the overall team standings. Although I suspect Fernando Gaviria might just smash his bike after the finish line (ala Djokovic smashing his tennis racket), i.e. if he doesn't win today's sprint. Almeida to do a proper leadout!!!

Leaving Sanremo
Wasn't that long ago that images like this were only seen post-race.
How tech has improved to bring us "inside the peloton" video.

image.png.9604431afb56065dbc949e90553a904c.png
image.png.8924b7ab945fa8f7453c2e14ed1b9642.png