Rides Around George and Knysna on Gravel Bike

Kevin Simon

14 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I ride the 7 passes a lot - the gravel is incredibly smooth at the moment - for safety drive to the brenton on sea turn off and start from phantom pass

anyone who has had issues with the 2 townships on the 7 passes must be incredibly unlucky - I ride through the Hoekwil  one everytime I ride my bike and often return through it too - my daughter has playdates there 

There are endless options and loops off the 7 passes and hoogekraal climb is a must 

you’d be hard pressed to find safer and nicer gravel riding that Knysna George 

avoid the N2 and avoid the township near the Noetzie turnoff 

have fun 

Only time I have had any issues is actually that stretching leaving George on 7 passes road. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Sounds like you rode up the tar version of whites - that’s world tour level steep - there is a much longer but beautiful and more gradual smooth gravel version for next time  

Psk, a small power climb;)

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Wayne, how is the gravel from just past Island Lake (Bird Hide) to Sedgefield. That was TERRIBLE last year. 

They have redone so much gravel around here but not these 2 - the island lake section is ok but the one that goes across to sedgefield is so bad that I turned around after 2km last week

17 hours ago, buckstopper said:

Going down t shirt hill is quite bone crunching on a gravel bike. Try going up it rather????

Yeah, I planned my route so that it goes up, will then go to 7 pass and head back to Wilderness from there.

17 hours ago, buckstopper said:

Also maybe worth making contact with Eugene at Cycleworx Sedgefield. He leads 6am rides from his shop off the n2. Riding on the gravel along the vleis lovely early morning. And flat!

Thanks for the tip, will contact him for sure, sounds fun.

16 hours ago, Styvie said:

Seven passes from phantom pass is epic and safe watch out on the reenendal road till you take the gravel turn off cars drive quite fast and there is no shoulder. 

Is there secure parking there or do I need someone to drive me there?

a cool ride is from knysna to Union dale and back (or just a portion of the way and back if you are not keen for 100km plus round trip) you can park at the top of simola take the gouna turn off and go from there ! Safe and stunning

Thanks, will make myself a route on Strava.

I’ll unfortunately be in CPT when you are up here otherwise wouldhave loved to link up for some rides. 

That’s a shame, would be nice to ride with people that know the areas. For anyone else, I’ll be in Ballots Bay from the 9th to the 16th, and then Noetzie till the 23rd, so anyone around these areas on those dates, would be cool to organise some group rides.

and then just some rides on the tar defos ride to brenton on sea epic climb my local as I live this side.

That’s actually another ride I would like to do, though not sure of the best way to get there from Noetzie. I do see next to Noetzie there is a golf estate that leads into Knysna, and on Strava it looks like you can access the estate from Noetzie, though hard to tell from maps, anyone know if this is possible? 

8 hours ago, eala said:

Worthwhile visiting also for some incredible gravel roads are the ones inland from Hartenbos ,Klein and Grootbrak ,Ruitersbos,Bonnydale,Geelbeksvlei,Donalshoogte.Miles of super quite perfect gravel roads

Thanks for the info! It sounds like there are so many fantastic routes there! More routes than I have time to do…well I better start planning for the next holiday ;)

19 minutes ago, Kevin Simon said:

Yeah, I planned my route so that it goes up, will then go to 7 pass and head back to Wilderness from there.

Thanks for the tip, will contact him for sure, sounds fun.

Is there secure parking there or do I need someone to drive me there?

Thanks, will make myself a route on Strava.

That’s a shame, would be nice to ride with people that know the areas. For anyone else, I’ll be in Ballots Bay from the 9th to the 16th, and then Noetzie till the 23rd, so anyone around these areas on those dates, would be cool to organise some group rides.

That’s actually another ride I would like to do, though not sure of the best way to get there from Noetzie. I do see next to Noetzie there is a golf estate that leads into Knysna, and on Strava it looks like you can access the estate from Noetzie, though hard to tell from maps, anyone know if this is possible? 

Thanks for the info! It sounds like there are so many fantastic routes there! More routes than I have time to do…well I better start planning for the next holiday ;)

Lots of people park here - as usual just ensure nothing visible for thieves but I’d park here no problem  - alternatively park in Knysna and ride to the phantom pass - massive shoulder and the pavement is actually a cycle lane 

@Kevin Simon parking is safe park on the island where the signs are about 50m away from where you turn off the n2 loads of cars park there for runs and rides never heard of an issue I often park there when I do tempo runs around the red bridge ! 

3 hours ago, Kevin Simon said:

@Wayne pudding Mol How does this route look? https://www.strava.com/routes/2895695272493452134

Any tips on great places for coffee and breakfast?

@ Styvie would be a better bet on this route - I’m generally coming from the other side (Hoekwil) and steer clear of tar best I can - I definitely would not ride a bike on the N2 but I see people do it - December seems like a gamble 

on the 7 passes from Knysna 

shop just after cresting phantom pass for coke and some good unhealthy things 

garden route trail park about 32km from lagoon for amazing carrot cake and coffee 

if you drop down towards sedge at the trail park and loop back up to 7 passes Nostalgia does good food (poor coffee) and the ride up hoogekraal is a hidden gem

coke stop in karatara (beware dueling banjos)  Take a ride through the town

30km later Hoekwil with plenty options these days 

wilderness heights at map of Africa has the best coffee in the southern cape  - called Hallo Coffee and great views

wilderness  has average to rubbish coffee and good beer

thats the 7 passes refueling bar 1 or 2 

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Spelling

3 hours ago, Kevin Simon said:

@Wayne pudding Mol How does this route look? https://www.strava.com/routes/2895695272493452134

Any tips on great places for coffee and breakfast?

Cool route, avoid the section where you turn down brenton on lake and towards feather beds when I run there I call it my “tress passer route” residents there are full of it and the last section up to the heads is very private even a gate (can squeeze around ) but the last few km is very overgrown hardly run able defos not on a gravel bike. 

rather continue straight turn up WK GROBELAAR go to the top (enjoy the steepness ) ???? till it becomes gravel ignore the gate that says “private property “ it’s not iv had this checked and go till you reach the small cell tower and turn back. 

we have a new coffee shop open in brenton just before you reach the beach lovely owner she would love the support ! 

22 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

shop just after cresting phantom pass for coke and some good unhealthy things 

garden route trail park about 32km from lagoon for amazing carrot cake and coffee 

if you drop down towards sedge at the trail park and loop back up to 7 passes Nostalgia does good food (poor coffee) and the ride up hoogekraal is a hidden gem

coke stop in karatara (beware dueling banjos)  Take a ride through the town

30km later Hoekwil with plenty options these days 

wilderness heights at map of Africa has the best coffee in the southern cape  - called Hallo Coffee and great views

wilderness  has average to rubbish coffee and good beer

Thanks for the info, noted! 

22 hours ago, Styvie said:

Cool route, avoid the section where you turn down brenton on lake and towards feather beds when I run there I call it my “tress passer route” residents there are full of it and the last section up to the heads is very private even a gate (can squeeze around ) but the last few km is very overgrown hardly run able defos not on a gravel bike. 

rather continue straight turn up WK GROBELAAR go to the top (enjoy the steepness ) ???? till it becomes gravel ignore the gate that says “private property “ it’s not iv had this checked and go till you reach the small cell tower and turn back. 

we have a new coffee shop open in brenton just before you reach the beach lovely owner she would love the support ! 

Ah, that’s a pity, looked like a really nice viewpoint. I have changed the route to go into Brenton as you suggest, will go up to the tower and then back down for coffee at that coffee shop.

Thanks for all the info and tips everyone! Really appreciate it! So excited!

Could anyone tell me if this route is good to do alone? https://www.strava.com/routes/2887331328237224382
It’s from Ballots Bay to Harold’s Bay, looks like it could be a fantastic route, just again, not sure about safety.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Simon said:

Thanks for the info, noted! 

Ah, that’s a pity, looked like a really nice viewpoint. I have changed the route to go into Brenton as you suggest, will go up to the tower and then back down for coffee at that coffee shop.

Thanks for all the info and tips everyone! Really appreciate it! So excited!

Could anyone tell me if this route is good to do alone? https://www.strava.com/routes/2887331328237224382
It’s from Ballots Bay to Harold’s Bay, looks like it could be a fantastic route, just again, not sure about safety.

You can still get to the view point. Just come round up W.K. Grobler to the top hit the gravel round the gate continue straight to the last tower (not the big one you pass at the start of the gravel) 

enjoy it new coffee shop is called “fine coffee “ there is also brenton hotel that have a lakker coffee shop at the beach ! 

1 hour ago, Styvie said:

You can still get to the view point. Just come round up W.K. Grobler to the top hit the gravel round the gate continue straight to the last tower (not the big one you pass at the start of the gravel) 

enjoy it new coffee shop is called “fine coffee “ there is also brenton hotel that have a lakker coffee shop at the beach ! 

Ah I see! Okay, then I’ll go to the viewpoint that way and then head back for coffee, thanks for the name.

Thanks, looking at all these routes, I think it will be a lekker time!

On 11/16/2021 at 9:16 AM, Pure Savage said:

Wayne, how is the gravel from just past Island Lake (Bird Hide) to Sedgefield. That was TERRIBLE last year. 

As of when last I was there on COVID recovery cramp, it was properly bad... Worst corrugations I have experienced in my short gravel career