New wheels

Mike Mac

Hi 

I am looking to get a new set of carbon wheels made for an enduro bike. They will need to be boost 29 front, 27.5 rear using Sram Eagle groupset and Mugura 203mm rotors.

What should I be looking at in terms of hubs, rims, spokes etc. 

Recommendations iro a reputable wheel builder will also be useful.

Furthermore, if there are a really good second hand option to look at, please feel free to point me in that direction as well. 

I am new to all this and still finding my way around things and often I really don't know what I am looking is a good or bad so all advise is appreciated. 

M

CSixx make exactly what you are looking for:

cSixx / DHE / Eseries / Carbon Mullet Wheelset – cSixx Components

Alternatively you could go for an absolutely bombproof alloy wheelset. DT Swiss EX511 Rims, Hope hubs, butted spokes and brass nipples. Those would last a lifetime. Nic from the wheelbuilder could help with a setup like that or a carbon option if you are dead set on that

Wheel Builder - handbuilt bicycle wheels for all cyclists

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Alternatively you could go for an absolutely bombproof alloy wheelset. DT Swiss EX511 Rims, Hope hubs, butted spokes and brass nipples. Those would last a lifetime. Nic from the wheelbuilder could help with a setup like that or a carbon option if you are dead set on that

The only answer you need, Nic thewheelbuilder 

16 hours ago, thebob said:

ok i'll look into it thanks

18 hours ago, thebob said:

DT Swiss EX511 Rims, Hope hubs, butted spokes and brass nipples

Look no further...

You can finally stop singing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and skip to the next track on your playlist "All I want is you"...

19 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Hi 

I am looking to get a new set of carbon wheels made for an enduro bike. They will need to be boost 29 front, 27.5 rear using Sram Eagle groupset and Mugura 203mm rotors.

What should I be looking at in terms of hubs, rims, spokes etc. 

Recommendations iro a reputable wheel builder will also be useful.

Furthermore, if there are a really good second hand option to look at, please feel free to point me in that direction as well. 

I am new to all this and still finding my way around things and often I really don't know what I am looking is a good or bad so all advise is appreciated. 

M

Please dont take this the wrong way. You said you are new to this and advice is welcome. Why do you want carbon wheels? 

I am not dictating what you need or want, but there are a major difference between carbon and aluminium rims and carbon might not be the best for you. Carbon is strong, but also very stiff and you might get  tired quicker. 

1 minute ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Please dont take this the wrong way. You said you are new to this and advice is welcome. Why do you want carbon wheels? 

I am not dictating what you need or want, but there are a major difference between carbon and aluminium rims and carbon might not be the best for you. Carbon is strong, but also very stiff and you might get  tired quicker. 

Hi

Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. I will consider alu options as well if there is good reason to do so. I understood that the alu rims would be stronger, but was not aware of other benefits. 

Any other comments along these lines greatly appreciated.

M

Not sure where you are based, but I've had great service from Dave Marshall at Spoke & Spanner.  He's built two sets of carbon enduro wheels for me (both Light Bicycle) and I was very impressed with his builds.  Best wheel builder I've come across in Gauteng.  

In terms of hubs, I used Novatec XD641/642 (front/rear).  These are very well priced, strong as bricks with massive oversized bearings.  The have 2 pairs of 3 pawls givng 120 POE.  They are also well supported in SA. 

Happy to share any other information.  Just send me a PM. 

34 minutes ago, Mike Mac said:

Hi

Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. I will consider alu options as well if there is good reason to do so. I understood that the alu rims would be stronger, but was not aware of other benefits. 

Any other comments along these lines greatly appreciated.

M

The best is to do a bit of research of what your ride, riding style, bike, etc, and then you decide. Both carbon and alu, have advantages and disadvantages. Even if you can afford it, carbon is good, but it might not be the best choice for you. Alu rims can take a big hit and still be ridable. When you take a big hit with carbon rims, it could be completely destroyed. 

No matter what you choose, get the wheels built by a very good recommended wheel builder. An expensive wheelset, built by a bad builder, is much worse than a cheap wheelset built by a good builder. I weigh on the bad side of 100kg, always had budget wheels, but I have never broken a spoke. 

All the best. 

4 minutes ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

I weigh on the bad side of 100kg, always had budget wheels, but I have never broken a spoke. 

You must then start riding your bikes...????

I push on the wrong side of 120kg and I have broken my fair share of spokes. I ride strictly alu as I agree carbon is stronger likely, but the way I ride, alu is cheaper...I don't shy away from drops, gaps, rocks or jumps and in all the years of me riding I have only needed to replace one set of wheels earlier this year after 9500km of abuse.

My tip - if you are a big boy like me and ride on the fun side, wider rims are better. And of course, 32 spokes are always a better choice than 28.

But yes. No matter the choice. A GOOD WHEEL BUILDER is not negotiable.

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

You must then start riding your bikes...????

I push on the wrong side of 120kg and I have broken my fair share of spokes. I ride strictly alu as I agree carbon is stronger likely, but the way I ride, alu is cheaper...I don't shy away from drops, gaps, rocks or jumps and in all the years of me riding I have only needed to replace one set of wheels earlier this year after 9500km of abuse.

My tip - if you are a big boy like me and ride on the fun side, wider rims are better. And of course, 32 spokes are always a better choice than 28.

But yes. No matter the choice. A GOOD WHEEL BUILDER is not negotiable.

Yes mom, I will go play outside!!

Thanks for all the advise thus far. 

So far, I am leaning towards the following:

Hubs, either Hope 4, DT Swiss Hybrid 240’s or DT Swiss Hybrid 350. 

I need to do more research on these as I don’t quite understand the advantages of the Pawl vs ratchet systems. Also need to get a better understanding of the advantages/disadvantages of the various 24/30/54 tooth engagement and options available. 

Rims I am looking at DT Swiss 511 or HX531 or alternatively the new Stan’s Flow MK4. 

Any thoughts, comments, opinions on the above would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Flow Mk4 rims are superb, and available, and won't break the bank.

Hope hubs are indestructible, as are DT 350.

Ping me for a quote and / or to discuss options.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, Mike Mac said:

Thanks for all the advise thus far. 

So far, I am leaning towards the following:

Hubs, either Hope 4, DT Swiss Hybrid 240’s or DT Swiss Hybrid 350. 

I need to do more research on these as I don’t quite understand the advantages of the Pawl vs ratchet systems. Also need to get a better understanding of the advantages/disadvantages of the various 24/30/54 tooth engagement and options available. 

Rims I am looking at DT Swiss 511 or HX531 or alternatively the new Stan’s Flow MK4. 

Any thoughts, comments, opinions on the above would be appreciated. 

What is the DT Swiss 240 Hyrid and 350 Hybrid? Do you mean EXP?

If yes then I'd wait till the EXP drive mechanism is  completely sorted out. Maybe Marc H can comment on where DT Swiss is with addressing the challenges they had with the first few batches of hubs and if any came into SA and have been fixed.

The Dt 350 uses the old star ratchet which is reliable and literally bullet proof