Eroica and Eroica Nova 2022

Mamil

Guess im asking if a decidedly midpack rider with a 2/3 CTCT seeding will die somewhere around 150km? And if so will they hold a funeral for me? They can use my bike for the ghost bike too😅. Sounds like drinks and refreshments are already provided.

Yes i know offroad makes a huge difference, i suffered through k2c 2019 - borderline hyperthermic. It was the hardest and coldest 90km of my life. 

my longest ride to date is 130km but that was pre pandemic when I was 10kg lighter lol.

But my two rules usually mean i push through though…

1: the floor is lava,

2: Do, there is no try. haha

…and this will basically be on my birthday weekend. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

Guess im asking if a decidedly midpack rider with a 2/3 CTCT seeding will die somewhere around 150km? And if so will they hold a funeral for me? They can use my bike for the ghost bike too😅. Sounds like drinks and refreshments are already provided...............

There will DEFINITELY be a lot of beer drinking and I promise to put two Eroica medals on your eyes so you can pay the ferryman to take you wherever you want to go.😜

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made my way to the site and pressed the button that sealed my fate. 

Now my girlfriend is keen to join for the classic, but she doesn't have a bike that's capable (well, she's got a mtb but it seems Stan wants to be stricter about the no mtb rule) 

So, can anybody offer some advice on bike rental or getting a bike transported from Cape Town to Montagu? We will be driving down from Joburg. 

2 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Now my girlfriend is keen to join for the classic, but she doesn't have a bike that's capable (well, she's got a mtb but it seems Stan wants to be stricter about the no mtb rule) 

So, can anybody offer some advice on bike rental or getting a bike transported from Cape Town to Montagu? We will be driving down from Joburg. 

Phone Woodstock Cycle Works and talk to Nils. He has a shopful of classics and might just have something for her to use. I know he helped overseas riders in the years before Covid. He usually goes to Eroica himself and if he does, he may just be able to take it with. If anyone can help, Nils can.

What size road bike would suit her? 

http://www.woodstockcycleworks.com/contact

3 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Size required?

This way or that. Did the shortened version last year and it is, hands down, the coolest biking event I’ve been to. Great route, great people, superb organization, etc. Cannot fault these guys. 

Just bummed to be missing out on the full gran fondo Eroica this time around 😬

9 hours ago, christovdw said:

.....................Just bummed to be missing out on the full gran fondo Eroica this time around 😬

You masochist you!😜

i think this means entries close tonight!

https://eroica.cc/en/south-africa

image.jpeg.e86a50427118a512eb0ab410f23ae164.jpeg

i am entered for my third NOVA. 

the BIG route on the sunday is a figure of eight. there is an obvious shortcourse, but you start with going UUUUPPPPP ouberg - so no matter what happens you will finish with a smile.

as i went bikepacking for four days laaaast week, technically i have even done training for this. next job is to go 2x as my legs don't like the hills so much with the current 39 chainring

AM-JKLUzDH2fNH_GKTxtXFW_d7mzrES_L1iNWSoOIQMvSgdF40w16G9t54VkUMkqPqQNRkLwD8LHzSa6m49WEBaUV8bq7fzvRA=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

14 hours ago, DJR said:

Phone Woodstock Cycle Works and talk to Nils. He has a shopful of classics and might just have something for her to use. I know he helped overseas riders in the years before Covid. He usually goes to Eroica himself and if he does, he may just be able to take it with. If anyone can help, Nils can.

What size road bike would suit her? 

http://www.woodstockcycleworks.com/contact

13 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Size required?

She is 1.65m, would need a 50/52 or thereabouts road bike size. 

If anybody knows anybody who is driving to Montagu from either Joburg or Cape Town and has space for an extra bike, I would also really appreciate a contact. 

45 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

She is 1.65m, would need a 50/52 or thereabouts road bike size. 

If anybody knows anybody who is driving to Montagu from either Joburg or Cape Town and has space for an extra bike, I would also really appreciate a contact. 

Would’ve liked to help, but can’t with that size. Hope you manage. 

4 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Would’ve liked to help, but can’t with that size. Hope you manage. 

No problem, thank you. I think I may be able to source a bike. Just need to figure out transport now. Stan said he'd open up a chat group later today, so perhaps somewhere there has a spot.

Hi all! Apologies, I never saw this thread until now! As far as I can tell all your questions have been answered and some fears have been quelled. If you're still on the fence, entries close tonight at midnight so enter as soon as possible! You will not regret it. I promise you a GREAT time : )

If you have ANY questions (or need some encouragement to enter) please send me a WhatsApp on 082928658 and I'll be happy to help.

Edited by Stan Engelbrecht

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like a long time since I wrote a proper ride report, so, I thought Eroica SA is the best place to make a comeback.

Both Beattbox and I cannot function without a decent coffee, so that was the first thing we did on Saturday morning early at the great new start venue at De Bos, in the middle of Montagu. As always, the Eroica registration was a total pleasure with friendly and welcoming people. It rained cats & dogs all night long, but by the time the two of us started with The Classic, somewhat after 8am, the drizzle had just about disappeared. I missed hubbub of the mass start, but I understand that Covid is still with us and the laid back "start when you want" also worked for me.  

1.jpg