Eroica and Eroica Nova 2022

Mamil

Another truly great L'Eroica event held this past weekend. The missus and myself thoroughly enjoyed our time in Montagu with like minded #steelisreal geeks and great, friendly and welcoming locals 🤙😉

The few old mates that I finally managed to persuade to join us after many years of encouragement are now totally hooked, they will be back for sure 😃 It's one of those events that just keep you coming back for more.

I'll post a few more pics later in the week... and a video in a week or two but for now here's the bunch of drunkards I finished the ride with 😄

Eroica1.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, DJR said:

In case you wonder why I think the Breakfast Stop gets capital letters and should be compulsory:

For the KOEKSISTERS! That's why! If I could have stuck a few in my back pocket I would have! 

An Eroica stop is never just about getting a quick drink and a snack, it is about much more, bikes and like-minded people. It can last from 5 minutes to an hour. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that some riders only left when the koeksusters ran out! 

5.jpg

What a great little write-up, easily the most fun you can have on a bike. This was #3 for me and i now really need to experience it on a vintage bike as my steel south african brand gravel machine just feels like cheating.

I asked about three groups of Dads and lads riding if they were the famous DJR crew. I only got blank stares, but now realise I did indeed come past you. 

and you've missed out on the Doornkloof spread!

GcgLoszWNnTi2f4Av2C-vrRILYed1IfyNM3i3X9K9jKNZPHA2ZR8lZ87cn8O8g6r0N9taSJI2y4D386_vN2HC0if92OWKz1E4KLt3n-UvGVF47wVI2OnMEu986e14lxNxy8_inWSfHxFe7A8ErD9sfDjW2WjT1REzY9Fxb0xuQ-aMnspuMKaNgRv85Kr9OOdJvmlJEV3xt1bqTSahZGalLDE9qeJrMCdWK9nIJ1-FSoVFzZt4A5ILJh8fK71SYeo8bbu94MJTNMWh_hWo6ihVpZJn_YYIjND3mBN0ARBT44ctDk_XenZEXZ1ao0RNaRxiTx4iS2lCgMKW9GycSENBaXZv2wgBEJQU6gTHT1dI5mlLiPzhfFt7bOpAzseYfvPDGUlPk0n8hscgOrz3xYzhGvIcqqYcz7cZof9-MSko0bDKxeUSuhfUSWY1UsuovevXz9oRhVEuLsOtsGDxBQcJVn27shbDrrVyaigQwTfjDjuzHx0D3AgTowmm0XTm_3IXxBakNEdW-SXhuj_e3UpfYTx0Tv7hV06wJyoNZVqKc_37j-ctSsQE-_uC3BwDtNMNJm-KzGzJd0EN2U1gucUkQMd2jlvBd4s4t6lj5YBLA5MTkqmnyGUwL1lOlt7xh1sRuLrTBeneEkMCJ_NXjk2lCxcbqNchz7yv137pIV8YMJzksB26708zKTPC_cwp46gFm6GlPo5WsnVnFwKGnYO_RRE2tb7Ek5w9H_yDtOaqxcavIOHR6XEEcP77cQEUoE=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

image.jpeg.80b0b1dd347b3f1dcccc6901249b4815.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

............I asked about three groups of Dads and lads riding if they were the famous DJR crew. I only got blank stares, but now realise I did indeed come past you. 

and you've missed out on the Doornkloof spread!............

It was a little strange to ride without my boys, but also great to ride again with Beattbox, my longstanding stage race team mate. I saw several dads and lads as well as husbands and wives/girlfriends groupings. There were also more old tandems out on the roads this year. Like I said, this is a ride to do with friends, it doesn't matter if they are old ones or freshly made ones. Missing out on the Doornkloof loop was entirely my fault..........and the fact that my stuffed shoulder has had just about enough rattling for one day. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to strengthening that for next time! I don't even want to think what the 170kn Nova would have done to me!

Any Nova riders recovered enough to type a word or two? Are they all in by now?😜

On 5/9/2022 at 7:36 PM, DJR said:

It was a little strange to ride without my boys, but also great to ride again with Beattbox, my longstanding stage race team mate. I saw several dads and lads as well as husbands and wives/girlfriends groupings. There were also more old tandems out on the roads this year. Like I said, this is a ride to do with friends, it doesn't matter if they are old ones or freshly made ones. Missing out on the Doornkloof loop was entirely my fault..........and the fact that my stuffed shoulder has had just about enough rattling for one day. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to strengthening that for next time! I don't even want to think what the 170kn Nova would have done to me!

Any Nova riders recovered enough to type a word or two? Are they all in by now?😜

I'd get onto it but I self shortcoursed at the 60km mark and turned for home. I did the maths and realised that getting in at 3/4pm on a sunday was not going to well with the Boss on mothersday after she spent the previous weekend with the kids following me at an adventure race too. Got my 120km in took her bubbly tasting on the way home. win win.

massive respect for the Classic hero riders. ouberg pass downhill was sketchy on my 38s and disk brakes, must have been white knuckle on a skinny 80s steed.

TANDEMS are awesome to see on these roads

scDLn1-Us6rJZwsdg3zy8b6GoytawhYmJZcz5hGWwwNngjv-b1s7fRtTk5z01yRm4Fh3W-CBStiDJ_9LUbhvZWZS7hM4elN9vMEN6z8qm9mHNxeaCDTGtCP9W5LyYRF4zyy2d7y5YkbbT22guMqC5dLkmU-2S3VsHZLgzXYuoMl7woFH9f_3ibgeXOsSRv0URe2b6FHbj0Pefdvc7JeIgmZfhX_mlL73pkBIhlQG1VAIjcFNcLAKKT14JVqjwl48xpaZEciw7mZptiTOUM1OisyfQSQ6E9asLK5alA2UD7msEeA9GdOezL9Ajlq4nJNJR89CMLs2UwLbP80EuNBsUCuSaUbpxKHaARc8DwmsGOoqqeWsig7VeIztmdmHfUhrk8PIUKbV0yK-7vpRq3WwY614IgnMX92qmDir0N2kCTynAjKc9OhUiY1BIZHiXyPIJJufKiXT1FPeuvpZ5AgGNp6jCdWhWnYhCdFqH6d-YkyDywh92wfwQ70bmmSpnqIVTPn3WflaWuIlbHX9Y8NO0h8IpxhH4L2g6wzg3mjlmXpItr1kEipchCFPH-ey8bmHGJA3NNMXuvBnyH3aPdJFk2oKASK2r6Pn-kQ8MFg_M-iyfYZGWvgLiRnH_rHyuI9gQR-pzob3rrDVUdXyn6wfOB1YXEoltU3cexI_B5emhc2ki7ohGvg8_fD99NbWx8z-wNaYBwl9Kg_aINRAI1AYwFq_JV4YJkBNDxVc4H9-i8GC4dcFEdkFSLgOMAodfkk=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

Yes, Oubergbpass On smooth 28C tyres, and mal-adjusted rim brakes was….. interesting!

On 5/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Another truly great L'Eroica event held this past weekend. The missus and myself thoroughly enjoyed our time in Montagu with like minded #steelisreal geeks and great, friendly and welcoming locals 🤙😉

The few old mates that I finally managed to persuade to join us after many years of encouragement are now totally hooked, they will be back for sure 😃 It's one of those events that just keep you coming back for more.

I'll post a few more pics later in the week... and a video in a week or two but for now here's the bunch of drunkards I finished the ride with 😄

Eroica1.jpg

I think it's hard not to be an ambassador for this great event. Convince 2 or 3 more friends who will appreciate it for what it is and it will keep getting better.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DJR said:

One last picture of our Eroica ride. Riding up to the Groenland breakfast stop. I am no good at watercolour, a bit like cycling, but I imagine and I try, and mostly I find much more joy than suffering from it!

2022-06-01 002.jpg

yes, you're really not that good. keep on trying i guess?

2 hours ago, DJR said:

One last picture of our Eroica ride. Riding up to the Groenland breakfast stop. I am no good at watercolour, a bit like cycling, but I imagine and I try, and mostly I find much more joy than suffering from it!

2022-06-01 002.jpg

I think it's excellent. There's a provocative tension between the idealised countryside in childlike brush strokes which suggest the pure naive enjoyment of cycling and the agony alluded to by the way the subjects chamois is skew on the saddle that speaks to the soul of every cyclist. Bids starting at 10000 Zars perhaps.

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

I think it's excellent. There's a provocative tension between the idealised countryside in childlike brush strokes which suggest the pure naive enjoyment of cycling and the agony alluded to by the way the subjects chamois is skew on the saddle that speaks to the soul of every cyclist. Bids starting at 10000 Zars perhaps.

😂I need you to review some more stuff for me😀