[Event] Tour du Cap 2022

Events Bot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd love to do something like this but you guys all come across as pro's, so it scares me off. 

I would be a 100% bog average Vet Cat rider who would likely finish alone most days. I imagine it's lonely and full of shame out the back at a race like this.

There’s  the open cat ! The vets 30/40 are looking very competitive

Just now, Jbr said:

I always assumed 'Open' was more competitive than Vet Cat!

This also doesn't quell my fear of being absolutely off the pace and rubbish. I think, if time and money allows next year I will give it a bash and just swallow what little pride I have left.

Do they pick you up in a car if you're way off the back?

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This also doesn't quell my fear of being absolutely off the pace and rubbish. I think, if time and money allows next year I will give it a bash and just swallow what little pride I have left.

I don't know, not something I considered so far 🤣

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

I don't know, not something I considered so far 🤣

I imagine it being like the TDF when you get scratched from the race if you finish outside the winner's time 😝

1 hour ago, MVDP fan said:

Great, in what cat?
I am in the Vets 50+
Solo

Open seeded group so I'll wave and blow you a kiss at the start and then next time I see you will be a kudos on Strava!!!

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

I pansie'd out the vet cat after struggling to stay on my bike for longer than 2 weeks so far this year...

Will give the Open cat a bash ✌️

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd love to do something like this but you guys all come across as pro's, so it scares me off. 

I would be a 100% bog average Vet Cat rider who would likely finish alone most days. I imagine it's lonely and full of shame out the back at a race like this.

No boet you take too much banter to heart around here...

There's the pro's and there there's the prose

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I also though that Open is more difficult... until I realised I had it wrong and confused "Open" with "Elite"

Elite is where the pro's live. Vets the older (wannabe/retired) pros. Then you get Open where everyone cycles that does not have a racing license.

30 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

I also though that Open is more difficult... until I realised I had it wrong and confused "Open" with "Elite"

Elite is where the pro's live. Vets the older (wannabe/retired) pros. Then you get Open where everyone cycles that does not have a racing license.

30+ is a bit late to wannabe pro isn't it ? 😅

Sometimes I ride during my work hours to see how it feels to be paid to ride...

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

30+ is a bit late to wannabe pro isn't it ? 😅

Sometimes I ride during my work hours to see how it feels to be paid to ride...

I refuse to accept that it is too late...

57 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Hmm.... Maybe I should enter in Open next year (if they have it) and see how it goes... 

Timing is all wrong for this year even if I hadn't been too scared to enter. The concept of multi day road biking excites me. 4 days is also perfect. 

I've found the longer MTB stage races to be quite tedious after day 4.

@Jbr I ride during work hours often because I work for myself and pay for all my own cycling stuffs, so by that thinking, I'm 100% fullfactory racing sponsored by myself.

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Hmm.... Maybe I should enter in Open next year (if they have it) and see how it goes... 

Timing is all wrong for this year even if I hadn't been too scared to enter. The concept of multi day road biking excites me. 4 days is also perfect. 

I've found the longer MTB stage races to be quite tedious after day 4.

@Jbr I ride during work hours often because I work for myself and pay for all my own cycling stuffs, so by that thinking, I'm 100% fullfactory racing sponsored by myself.

I rode The Tour of Good Hope in 2018. That was a load of fun. It was only possible because it was the one year we didn't have a maintenance shutdown that required me to be on 24/7 standby. It was a royal blast especially if you plan it with a few pals and you all ride in the same group. Next year I hope to be Tour du Cap. The 4 days is a better prospect and its a whole week before CTCT meaning its a great block periodisation training ride. But these CTCT is more for fun anyway and the stage racing thing floats the boat

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I rode The Tour of Good Hope in 2018. That was a load of fun. It was only possible because it was the one year we didn't have a maintenance shutdown that required me to be on 24/7 standby. It was a royal blast especially if you plan it with a few pals and you all ride in the same group. Next year I hope to be Tour du Cap. The 4 days is a better prospect and its a whole week before CTCT meaning its a great block periodisation training ride. But these CTCT is more for fun anyway and the stage racing thing floats the boat

I will definitely try to rope in some mates. 

I'm off to Lesotho at the end of the month for a week long 500km AR slow burn at altitude, so I don't think I would be burning the matches now.

Hopefully next year the Expedition takes it's normal place in May so I can join the prose at this thing.

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

BMX?

28 minutes ago, Mamil said:

BMX?

hahaha I think I would ride the real bike to test the waters. If there was capacity to ride the BMX and not get swept up in a car then maybe.... Let me see how the 1st one goes.

I'm still 100% unsure and untested as to how weak I really am in this sort of scenario.

Maybe I could tag along with you guys for a training ride or two to get a basic idea leading up to it.

I'd wish you guys all luck, but I grew up under the 'you will race as well as you've trained' banner with the 'as long as you don't catch a carrot.... everyone catches a carrot once in a while and you just have to shrug it off and train better for the next one' caveat. 

Enjoy the riding tomorrow and for some of you, the racing