[Event] Tour du Cap 2022

Events Bot

5 hours ago, Mamil said:

Open seeded group so I'll wave and blow you a kiss at the start and then next time I see you will be a kudos on Strava!!!

Watch out if you go to slow I might just push you up a climb again 😜

I'm a "riding marshall" tomorrow, keeping the backmarkers company - suspect I might have a long but hopefully a fun day on the bike! 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Watch out if you go to slow I might just push you up a climb again 😜

I'm a "riding marshall" tomorrow, keeping the backmarkers company - suspect I might have a long but hopefully a fun day on the bike! 

Yes please to the push!!!  There's incentive to take it easy (as if I needed it) Just like Vissershok before the world went mad.

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Yes please to the push!!!  There's incentive to take it easy (as if I needed it) Just like Vissershok before the world went mad.

There will be good company at the back!

Some open roads, endless rollers, smell of the north, close passing trucks (always feels a lot closer than they actually are), some decent headwind in places...

nothing exciting about today 🙃

me tomorrow in an ITT3d5.jpg.4a91ba21599cb5e421ac453cf0eeed0b.jpg

Saturday and Sunday does look proper toughies though so lets see how that goes

6 minutes ago, babse said:

Some open roads, endless rollers, smell of the north, close passing trucks (always feels a lot closer than they actually are), some decent headwind in places...

nothing exciting about today 🙃

me tomorrow in an ITT3d5.jpg.4a91ba21599cb5e421ac453cf0eeed0b.jpg

Saturday and Sunday does look proper toughies though so lets see how that goes

That pic 😂😂

yeah the course and the teams controlling a numb opposition made the day boring. Burned a few matches today, or should I say I did some nice openers for the ITT 😜

Decided to move from the Open group to the 50+ group. Weather was stunning today and 100km into the race it looked like a bunch sprint. Three guys had other plans and launched a nuclear  attack and got away. Well done boys. The group was joined with the 60+ group, still not a big group.

I had a typical day in the Boland too. Ambitiously attached myself to the lead batch of the open category until a little cross headwind and a longer than the others roller meant that I had a 50km solo noodle off the back. Infuriatingly 30 seconds after I was off the power I needed to stay came online which just means that I'm not far enough down my vo2 max intervals sessions I suppose.

Periodic wistful glances over my shoulder shower a bike light catching up and what I thought would be a a friendly wheel turned out to be an ebike who when he saw I was on his wheel casually pedalled a little harder reinforcing my previously published bigotry against these soft calved subspecies of mamil.

I enjoyed my solo time, I really do love riding my bike and if anyone had caught up to me they would have heard me chanting "rollers magnum" to the tune of the old lawnmower add from yester year as the road dipped up and down and up and down again

Three disappointments...Skubarras promised push was nowhere in sight. I tore my new jersey on one of the stupid safety pins for my number. The traffic coming into Paarl after the mats was dangerous with no marshal presence.

These minor annoyances aside I enjoyed my day immensely, averaging 32. Something kmph for 131km. I'm still slow as a government office queue but I'm improving.

Looking forward to the TT which I intend approaching like a zwift race.... See if I can average 105 percent for the duration.

See ya tomorrow

18 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Three disappointments...Skubarras promised push was nowhere in sight. I tore my new jersey on one of the stupid safety pins for my number. The traffic coming into Paarl after the mats was dangerous with no marshal presence.

I was pushing a fellow marshal who severely underestimated the fitness required to keep up with the backmarkers of open bunch... 🙈

Was recalling that OTHER thread when I saw that e-biker in the group 😜 

Alluding to the reference by @Mamilthat there were no marshalling in sight at the race mats:

Please be safe out there, julle. Be vigilant, mindful and responsible.

13 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Alluding to the reference by @Mamilthat there were no marshalling in sight at the race mats:

Please be safe out there, julle. Be vigilant, mindful and responsible.

They were at the mats... The 2 traffic  circles between mats and the stadium were unmanned and very busy. 

16 hours ago, Mamil said:

Periodic wistful glances over my shoulder shower a bike light catching up and what I thought would be a a friendly wheel turned out to be an ebike who when he saw I was on his wheel casually pedalled a little harder reinforcing my previously published bigotry against these soft calved subspecies of mamil.

I see our favourite ebiker managed to hold a nice 40km/h average on the TT today (am I allowed to secretly wish his battery dies on him tomorrow just before the big Du Toitskloof climb to the finish? 🙊 

8 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I see our favourite ebiker managed to hold a nice 40km/h average on the TT today (am I allowed to secretly wish his battery dies on him tomorrow just before the big Du Toitskloof climb to the finish? 🙊 

why is he allowed to take on the course with that e-bike?

Just now, DieselnDust said:

why is he allowed to take on the course with that e-bike?

I had to laugh when they weighed my bike at the start and the marshal scolded me for wearing both my numbers instead of 1 - but the guy with the motorised bike thats ok 😂

The back-end of the open group is fairly relaxed and I assume he has an arrangement with the organisers to ride as long as he stays away from the sharp-end? 

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

I had to laugh when they weighed my bike at the start and the marshal scolded me for wearing both my numbers instead of 1 - but the guy with the motorised bike thats ok 😂

The back-end of the open group is fairly relaxed and I assume he has an arrangement with the organisers to ride as long as he stays away from the sharp-end? 

I was getting called for my start when they weighed it, haven't even seen what it came to on their scale 🤣

Another day in cape town where the wind always turns into a head wind. It was non-stop hurt 😄

Edited by Jbr