Cape Town people, please help

swingTOpeddle

Hi all, so I’m down in CT for CTCT. We’re staying at the Southern Sun Waterfront which is amazingly situated for race day. However, it seems not to be the greatest location to cycle from for a lekker ride to, well, anywhere. 
Are there any suggestions on how to get from “here" to Chappies or Blouberg safely on bike or does it require a drive and then cycle from that point? 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Some people would say you’re in the best possible place for cycling around town lol. Especially since a few thousand other people will be doing the same thing in and around there. 

just dont use the cycle lane from town to blouberg unless you are with 20 other cyclists. It might look better than anything you have in the rest of the country, but its where you go to get bikejacked here - mostly between town and milnerton. And with the state of disaster meaning vagrants cant be moved legally, some parts in and around town have some sketchy characters living all over the place.  

There's a cycle lane all the way through the Waterfront so you have just one big intersection to navigate (tip: take the pedestrian crossing) and you're in relatively safe waters. Pun intended.

Through the waterfront onto Beach Rd. Nice two lane road all the way to Bantry Bay, then in 10 minutes you're in Camps Bay.

If you want to start on a climb, head towards Table Mountain on Bree Street (behind hotel) and head up Kloof Nek. Lots of traffic, but early morning is fine. 

Cycling in these areas really is relatively safe, just watch for fast traffic areas and jump onto the pavement where necessary.

Erm, a cycle straight out the front door, over to the Waterfront and up Beach Rd, then on to Victoria drive and from there Chappies here we come...

You are situated PRIME...

As mentioned, everyone and his and her mate will be out cycling in the next 84 hours, so no fear of being found destitute looking for safe companionship.

All that remains is to go enjoy.

14 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Today was truly a nice ride up past the Twelve Apostles hotel and back. Everyone who stays here. You’re lucky!

True but we still have to bitch and moan about things. I have also always found the vast majority of motorists are super nice on that route considering the narrow roads. Live and let live. Seems to be good in CTN.