Keeping a commuter bike safe

bikermouse848

Just got a quote from chilled squirell for 28k for a baofeng mid drive conversion. They don't reckon hub drive would suite my riding style. 

Is this going rate, or where can I buy DIY kits. I have built boats and race cars, I'm sure I can managed wedging vacuum cleaner motor into a bike frame😂

44 minutes ago, Sepia said:

I have been using my bike for the exact purpose the OP needs.

Speak to shop owner about bike parking.  I have made arrangements with various shops but I am stuck with shopping centres.  As Ouzo says, they just dont give a damn.

Purchased a lock (only a deterant) and use both panniers depending on how big the shopping is.  I use a dedicated bike bag for bread, eggs, chocolates and other delicate goods. Park in a highly visible place and make fiends with the guard, doorman or Covid sprayer. I Have lights on my panniers and a  Varia so cannot do more except remove this and the Garmin when tied up.  I also avoid black as it seems to make you invisible to motorists against the backdrop of the tar. Aldura safety visibility reflective jacket at all times, also water repellant and wind resistant as I cycle in all weather.  Dont care what I look like to others as it is my life out there and I am not a fashion cyclist.  I have done 5000kms over the past 4 months (not only shopping!!!) so all cant be bad ecept my car battery (new but now poked)

Fitted a mid mount electric motor which is really fantastic for this purpose and would not have it any other way.  Using Ramblers and cheapie 38 tyres which do the job, even in the rain and under load.

Happy days.

get yourself a maintenance battery charger for the car. Whilst C-Tec is considered best in the business, I've been using a Black & Decker on my car, a fair bit cheaper than the C-Tec and has kept the battery from dying. It was new when I stopped using the car frequently and almost died completely, thats when I bought the charger. Basically treat the car like an electric car, everytime I park it in the garage I plug it in.

19 minutes ago, bikermouse848 said:

Just got a quote from chilled squirell for 28k for a baofeng mid drive conversion. They don't reckon hub drive would suite my riding style. 

Is this going rate, or where can I buy DIY kits. I have built boats and race cars, I'm sure I can managed wedging vacuum cleaner motor into a bike frame😂

Mark's Bicycle Workshop CC

Bicycle repair shop in Cape Town

Address: 4 Karoo St, Kempenville, Cape Town, 7530

Hours: 
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM

YES, there are benefits to a mid-drive motor.  BUT, there are millions of hub-drive commuters all over the world.
Edited by ChrisF

34 minutes ago, bikermouse848 said:

I got mine for less than half that price with a big battery.  Did it myself, easy peasy.  Also built boats and fitting a motor next to this is a piece of pie.

• 2 months later...