Ultrasonic cleaners?

LBKloppers

On 4/24/2022 at 9:36 AM, dasilvarsa said:

After 1 Ride it's all Black Again.

The More You Clean It, The Faster It Wears, The Blacker it Gets.

That is the fault of your lube. Use a drier lube and wipe off the excess before riding - it will stay clean longer. 

• 1 year later...

So, any recommendations on an ultrasonic cleaner ?

Cleaning a chain is easy, but chucking a 12 spd MTB cassette requires an industrial sized one and I am wondering if that is worth the hassle and cost.

12 minutes ago, splat said:

Cleaning a chain is easy, but chucking a 12 spd MTB cassette requires an industrial sized one and I am wondering if that is worth the hassle and cost.

Leave the Cassette in a Plastic Container Submerged in Paraffin.

Now and Again Shake it Around.

The Paraffin is reusable.

That's what is used in bike Shops.

19 hours ago, splat said:

The ultrasonic cleaner is great for chains because it will rattle the dirt out from inside the bushings and rollers. Cassettes have no moving parts so this is unnecessary. Just clean it with degresaser and be done with it.

13 minutes ago, droo said:

The ultrasonic cleaner is great for chains because it will rattle the dirt out from inside the bushings and rollers. Cassettes have no moving parts so this is unnecessary. Just clean it with degresaser and be done with it.

on this note- unpopular opinion, but if you have the cassette off the hub, prepsol and a high pressure hose does wonders. In fact if you are taking things apart and are changing bearings or putting fresh grease in then prepsol and a high pressure cleaner do wonders. 

1 hour ago, droo said:

What he said. 
I clean mine with hot water and sunlight liquid in a plastic bath with a cassette brush and 3mm wide twine for flossing. It requires a bit of elbow grease which is what I suspect you’re trying to avoid..?

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

on this note- unpopular opinion, but if you have the cassette off the hub, prepsol and a high pressure hose does wonders. In fact if you are taking things apart and are changing bearings or putting fresh grease in then prepsol and a high pressure cleaner do wonders. 

Just a word of caution. SRAM XD cassettes do have an inner sleeve that rotates to allow the thread to engage and tighten while the backing plate slides up the spline. If you jet wash the cassette ensure you add some lube to the sleeve to prevent it Gali g and seizing . It’s a bitch to get that thing turning if it’s rough and binding once the cassette it torqued up

parraffin in a plastic container with a lid and then hold orbital sander underneath touching the bottom of container works just like an ultrasonic cleaner   

2 hours ago, droo said:

OK. But I am nervous of a previous post about lubing properly afterwards

36 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What he said. 
I clean mine with hot water and sunlight liquid in a plastic bath with a cassette brush and 3mm wide twine for flossing. It requires a bit of elbow grease which is what I suspect you’re trying to avoid..?

Yes, I was wondering about getting dirt under my nails if there was a machine that could do it for me.

I will stick to the tried and tested method of paraffin in a jar for the chain and the cassette in a plastic container. A bit more admin, but a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the responses. I will suppress that impulsive notion.