Beginners MTB R10k-R14k range

Vleisie_ZA

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a bike for my wife. The intended use is mostly some light, not too technical trails, but then also the occasional 94.7 road race. The current thinking is a medium sized 29" hardtail mountain bike in the R10k-R14k range.

It's been a while since I've ridden myself, so I'm a bit out of date with the new tech. Are there any components that would be really important to aim for? For example, air vs coil spring suspension, or a specific amount of gears (especially considering the aim to work up towards road races like the 94.7).

We've looked at the following bikes so far. Any recommendations on which one looks like a good deal would be greatly appreciated. Also happy to consider bikes not in this list:

• 2021 Silverback Stride Sport - R10 999
  • 2021 Silverback Stride Eilte - R13 999
  • Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 - R 14 000
  • 2022 Zini Z29 Elite - R 13 290
  • 2020 Signal Skye S910 - R11 000

We're unsure which bikes are the best value for money. For example, we've heard great things about the Specialized's frame, but the components on it seem to be cheaper or lesser known brands. In contrast, the Zini seems to be quite well spec'd for the price.

Lastly, is it worth considering second hand bikes in this price range, or safer to go for a new bike?

Second hand offers better value for money .... IF you know how to check out the bike properly.  ALSO, if you are able to do minor services and repairs yourself.

Silverback used to be a very nice entry level bike range.  The distribution has changed hands, and the warantee period is stupidly slow !!  Friend just spent about 5 months waiting for a replacement frame.

Signal has some nice offerings .... the new kid on the block ....

BEST value for money to found in the TITAN RACING range of bikes.

1 hour ago, Vleisie_ZA said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a bike for my wife. The intended use is mostly some light, not too technical trails, but then also the occasional 94.7 road race. The current thinking is a medium sized 29" hardtail mountain bike in the R10k-R14k range.

It's been a while since I've ridden myself, so I'm a bit out of date with the new tech. Are there any components that would be really important to aim for? For example, air vs coil spring suspension, or a specific amount of gears (especially considering the aim to work up towards road races like the 94.7).

We've looked at the following bikes so far. Any recommendations on which one looks like a good deal would be greatly appreciated. Also happy to consider bikes not in this list:

• 2021 Silverback Stride Sport - R10 999
  • 2021 Silverback Stride Eilte - R13 999
  • Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 - R 14 000
  • 2022 Zini Z29 Elite - R 13 290
  • 2020 Signal Skye S910 - R11 000

We're unsure which bikes are the best value for money. For example, we've heard great things about the Specialized's frame, but the components on it seem to be cheaper or lesser known brands. In contrast, the Zini seems to be quite well spec'd for the price.

Lastly, is it worth considering second hand bikes in this price range, or safer to go for a new bike?

My 2 cents: 

1) Make sure you get the right size, no point spending so much money just to find it to be the wrong size

2) For the amount you're looking to spend I will much rather go for 2nd hand 

3) Get some advise from people in the community not looking to make a sale. 

16 hours ago, Vleisie_ZA said:

especially considering the aim to work up towards road races like the 94.7

If you’re working towards road events, you’ve got to look at gravel bikes, they really allow all the road, and most of the off roading you would/should get started with.

if wifey wants to get into the technical MTB stuff at a later stage, you will keep the gravel bike, if you buy an entry level MTB now as a first bike, it will certainly be sold on an upgrade path to enjoy the good stuff.

I find the size medium/54cm gravel bikes going on the hub within reach of your budget too.

• 3 months later...

Honestly,

You cannot go wrong with a Titan Racing Bike, after mine, I wouldn't look anywhere else.

I got burnt buying second hand and lost alot of money, you'd be much better off with the peace of mind buying a brand new Titan with good specs for the same money.

Also, don't be fooled into buying expensive brands as you are mostly paying for a name that can only really be seen at the parking lot before you start, once you are blasting down a trail nobody can see you bought X, Y or Z and a sticker on a frame doesn't make you a better rider, rather spend the extra on better specs.