Help! I need a new stem

lechatnoir

I had a bike fit and my roadbike's 100mm stem needs to be replaced with a a 60mm stem. Howeve... the fork steerer is 3 (no, it's not a Giant) and as you can imagine, scarcity is my challenge.

Does anyone know where I can get a 60mm stem for a 31.8mm steerer and 31.8mm bar diameter?

9 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I had a bike fit and my roadbike's 100mm stem needs to be replaced with a a 60mm stem. Howeve... the fork steerer is 3 (no, it's not a Giant) and as you can imagine, scarcity is my challenge.

Does anyone know where I can get a 60mm stem for a 31.8mm steerer and 31.8mm bar diameter?

Sounds like your bike is at least 1 size too big for you

8 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

on another note, that will make for a very twitchy steering!

Luckily. where I live it's all flat and straight. Biggest challenge is no nodding off

1 minute ago, ACE Cycles said:

Sounds like your bike is at least 1 size too big for you

no, it's the right size (M), it's creaky neck, hips and shoulders that make the current stem setup uncomfortable.

Incidentally, I'm on a large Spez Chisel mtb, and ideally, that should be an Xl to get my saddle in the right position.

1 hour ago, cadenceblur said:

on another note, that will make for a very twitchy steering!

My wife managed fine with a 50mm stem on her road bike. Road bike bars are super narrow so no, it won't make the steering too twitchy IMO.

1.25 stems are basically just Giant at the moment. 
you might get lucky with a PRO  unit but it’s not a popular size steerer tube anylonger.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

1.25 stems are basically just Giant at the moment. 
you might get lucky with a PRO  unit but it’s not a popular size steerer tube anylonger.

I guess it'll have to be Giant. From my searching, it's NOT popular at all, so expecting my choice of rise angle would be unreasonable - I'll take what I get.

Dragons have 3 options in stock, 2 cheap and cheerful and one very much not.

Any LBS with a Dragons account will be able to get you one.

Beyond that you might battle.

You might find that you can go to a slightly longer stem if you use a narrower set of bars (if that fits you) and it you move your shifters closer to you. again there are limits to what can and cant be done but this may assist you if you cant get a stem...

1 hour ago, JulienR said:

You might find that you can go to a slightly longer stem if you use a narrower set of bars (if that fits you) and it you move your shifters closer to you. again there are limits to what can and cant be done but this may assist you if you cant get a stem...

I'm on a 420mm bar, so not much wiggle room there.

1 hour ago, Bondinator said:

I have a 60mm giant OD2 stem. Send me a PM if you are interested

Thanks, that is very kind of you. I think I'm sorted.

3 hours ago, Bondinator said:

I have a 60mm giant OD2 stem. Send me a PM if you are interested

well, now I need that offer after all... PM sent