Western Cape enduro is back!

PhilipV

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see another race in the WC has been added.
Best of luck to the team that are making it happen, not an easy exercise, but it will be appreciated by the riding community I am sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but I am looking to get started in Enduro.

I have no experience racing Enduro, and have only watch a few series of the Enduro World Series on YouTube - which looks incredible, but obviously way above my ability.

Would I be able to enter and compete (at a social level) in this Western Cape Enduro series on a 130mm Trail Bike? I have ridden most of the trails on Jonkershoek on my Stumpjumper before, but do take the chicken run on some of the really hectic stuff. I have no ambitions of podium finishes or anything, but just looking to do some fun racing again, and I have grown bored with the typical XC marathon racing idea.

I see the Enduro Lite category is only for sub-30 year olds and Ebikers, so I would have to enter the Full Enduro. What is the difference here? Does the full enduro mean no chicken runs and stuff, or is it just less stages on the lite?

I still need to get a full face helmet, but could probably loan one from a mate that used to race DH for the first event. So would I be fine if I brought my trail bike and a full face helmet and rode within my own limits or would I be opening myself to a world of hurt?

Is a CSA license compulsory to take part in this event?

Edited by esCape-ist

8 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but I am looking to get started in Enduro.

I have no experience racing Enduro, and have only watch a few series of the Enduro World Series on YouTube - which looks incredible, but obviously way above my ability.

Would I be able to enter and compete (at a social level) in this Western Cape Enduro series on a 130mm Trail Bike? I have ridden most of the trails on Jonkershoek on my Stumpjumper before, but do take the chicken run on some of the really hectic stuff. I have no ambitions of podium finishes or anything, but just looking to do some fun racing again, and I have grown bored with the typical XC marathon racing idea.

I see the Enduro Lite category is only for sub-30 year olds and Ebikers, so I would have to enter the Full Enduro. What is the difference here? Does the full enduro mean no chicken runs and stuff, or is it just less stages on the lite?

I still need to get a full face helmet, but could probably loan one from a mate that used to race DH for the first event. So would I be fine if I brought my trail bike and a full face helmet and rode within my own limits or would I be opening myself to a world of hurt?

your bike will be more than fine to do the full enduro!

the enduro races are very social and an awesome day out. all the normal chicken lines are available on the day as lots of people dont like sending the bigger stuff. You can also enter the lite enduro if you want, its not just for the younger shredders.

you need a CSA license for the day but you can buy a day license if you dont want a year license

13 minutes ago, ChristiaanSt said:

your bike will be more than fine to do the full enduro!

the enduro races are very social and an awesome day out. all the normal chicken lines are available on the day as lots of people dont like sending the bigger stuff. You can also enter the lite enduro if you want, its not just for the younger shredders.

you need a CSA license for the day but you can buy a day license if you dont want a year license

Thanks for that. I have just entered. I Saw when I did the entry that I could choose Lite or Full, and I went for full anyway, but the article on Bike Networks makes it sound like the LITE category is only for juniors and then Open (up to 30), which was where my initial confusion came in…. Pedalling back up to the top of Jonkers 5 times in a day is going to be tough.

One other question, obviously Enduro rules say you need to be self sufficient, so no water points or snack tables etc, but do you need to carry your water/food etc for all 5 stages from the morning, or can you go and restock from the car park or the kiosk between stages?

1 minute ago, esCape-ist said:

Thanks for that. I have just entered. I Saw when I did the entry that I could choose Lite or Full, and I went for full anyway, but the article on Bike Networks makes it sound like the LITE category is only for juniors and then Open (up to 30), which was where my initial confusion came in…. Pedalling back up to the top of Jonkers 5 times in a day is going to be tough.

One other question, obviously Enduro rules say you need to be self sufficient, so no water points or snack tables etc, but do you need to carry your water/food etc for all 5 stages from the morning, or can you go and restock from the car park or the kiosk between stages?

Don't bank on being able to replenish. You may find yourself having to climb even more if the stages end slightly higher up the mountain. 

4 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

They usually have a "central" water point out on the trail where you can restock but you can always go back to carpark to restock if needed seeing that you have a lot of time to get to the stages.

Some guys even go to the beer tent (if there is one) and "restock" there between stages... #rumours

Just entered the heavy version. I feel tired already. My last ride at JH was several months ago and I came away with arm pump and sore hands after only 2x ascent/descents. Eish. 

Okay lekker. The excitement is starting to brew now. First MTB “race” I have entered in about 5 years, and now that my major concerns have been answered I just have to work on the fitness so I can enjoy all five stages. I think I will leave the beer tent for after the ride though. 

1 hour ago, esCape-ist said:

34 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Stumpy is ideal For Jonkers, and your halflid helmet will be fine. I'd suggest knee pads though. 

There is plenty of water in Jonkers. I usually grab one bottle, with another soft flask in my fanny pack,  rehidrat and some food. 

Will def be using knee and elbow pads. Would a “halflid” trail helmet be allowed? I was under the impression a full face was compulsory?

If a full face was compulsory then half the field wouldnt be able to race :) FF on EWS AFIK, but not local stuff.

5 stages.... shoooweee

If they are full top to bottom stages I expect a lot of people won't qualify to write a race report. 

Irish does make it 'faster' to access the top levels, but not really 'easier'. 2019 SA champs was 4 stages and that broke a lot of people and prize giving was delayed by hours.

Good luck to everyone involved. I shall be sitting this one out

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

5 stages.... shoooweee

If they are full top to bottom stages I expect a lot of people won't qualify to write a race report. 

Irish does make it 'faster' to access the top levels, but not really 'easier'. 2019 SA champs was 4 stages and that broke a lot of people and prize giving was delayed by hours.

Good luck to everyone involved. I shall be sitting this one out

eish!

#ifyouknowyouknow