Moving to Piket-Bo-Berg, which bike to buy?

Lazlo6

Lazlo where are you currently ?

Many trails do offer rental bikes.  May be worth your while to go out and to try out a few bikes before heading off to Piketberg.  Some of the bike shops even have demo models.

The bike geometry, gear options, suspension options, etc are endless .....

Sadly, your choice may come down to stock availability, or rather the lack of it.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

May be worthwhile trying to find out what brands have reasonable backup close by .... this may help narrow down the brands that you want to look at.   

No backup near by. Bike Addict in Malmesbury is the closest. My mate that farms there swings his own spanners, and buys online what he needs. 

1 hour ago, thebob said:

A new Trek Top Fuel with a 130mm fork would be a great shout.

Bingo!

4 hours ago, Lazlo6 said:

Hi Guys, 

I have a rather area specific question, hope someone could shed some light.

I'm moving to Piket-Bo-Berg area (Banghoek Private Nature Reserve) in the next month or so, and I figured its a perfect time to get back into mountain biking. I'm 32 years old now, last time I cycled was in my teens, and things seemed to have progressed at a mayor pace. 

I come from a competitive motocross racing background, and decided to hang it up after yet another serious injury last year. 

I need to start from scratch, as I haven't owned a bicycle in a long time. I want to buy a Trail bike, as I like the exciting stuff and understand the value of good suspension when things get rough. My question for you guys is, considering the type of riding around Piketberg (I have no clue), would I be shooting myself in the peddle not getting an XC bike instead?

I've read about some of the amazing trails on the mountain, but it doesn't seem to be accessible to the public most of the year. Other than the private trails, everything else seems to be dirt roads and jeep tracks. Or am I mistaken? 

Any info/input would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,
Louis

Make friends with the locals. They do allow other locals to ride there. 

A short trail bike is ideal. 130mm sounds ideal. 

The trails were all built by guys on XC bikes, so you don't need monster travel there. 

You would need to first gain access to those trails.

It's all well and good saying they are there, but if you're only able to ride them on Open days or on event days, you're buying a bike for what? 5 days of trail time a year?

I've ridden the picket-bo-berg trails extensively since 2014ish. You don't wan't or need a 140mm trail bike. You want a new Epic Evo or down country bike.

Rickus rides an Evo. I'd suggest he knows what works there.

There is little gnar, few jumps of consequence and only one or two steeps. The rest is just rad up and down trail.

IMHO, first see if you can actually get to the trails around you before you buy a bike that only suits the riding you will do 5 days a year.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Whatever you buy .... get the SIZE right.  Especially if you are on the cut between two sizes.

Thank you, it seems I am on the cut. Will get proper guidance here before purchasing.

2 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

It's awesome real mountain biking but 120/130mm is more than enough. Something like the new Trek Fuel, Scott Spark I also like the new Orbea but that might be a little too xc. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Any of the following will be great: Trek Top Fuel, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Stumpjumper.

As you have an MX background I would 200% recommend going trail bike. Don't go less than 120 mm. Sweet spot IMO is 130 to 140 mm.

Thanks, I think I am going to go for something with about 130mm

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Sadly, your choice may come down to stock availability, or rather the lack of it.

Seems that this is the case with a lot of things nowadays! Thanks for the heads up.

42 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

No backup near by. Bike Addict in Malmesbury is the closest. My mate that farms there swings his own spanners, and buys online what he needs. 

This will be my approach too. I'm quite confident with a toolbox. Rebuilt quite a few modern four stroke MX engines over the years. Spares availability worries me a bit more though.

33 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's all well and good saying they are there, but if you're only able to ride them on Open days or on event days, you're buying a bike for what? 5 days of trail time a year?

Yip, this was my initial concern, and the reason for my post to begin with. Even if the owners are so kind to let me ride there, its still an hours drive from the nature reserve I will be in (albeit just 2km as the crow flies). 

Thanks so much guys, for all the advice. Really seems like a great community you guys got going here.

My current feeling is to go for an Epic Evo, Top Fuel, Spark. Depending on what I can get. If the bug really bites and I get to a point where my bike feels to be the limiting factor, it might just be best to get a second bike. 

With no nearby backup a warantee is pretty useless ... at best very impractical.

Thus a 2020 or 2021 model in the classifieds could be a nice deal.

Do your homework and ask questions .... couple of re.sellers are grabbing up the good deals, and reposting at a stiff markup .... knowing this, you can still get the odd good deal

120-140 mm with proper tyres 

Big brakes with large rotors and a dropper post

Tallboy or Hightower territory

I can really vouch for the Epic Evo. Previous bike was 150mm travel front and bike. With proper tyres the Evo is as capable. And it climbs so easily. Closest to one bike that can do it all in my opinion. Will work very well there.

Everyone suggesting 140mm bikes, do you guys also own a 4x4 for the occasional rough road or trip once every 3 years? 😉

Jokes aside, if you're riding the Picket-bo-berg trails or surrounding dirt roads 90% of the time, get an Evo/down country bike.

If you're doing most of your riding on Gnar, get a trail bike. 

You want to buy a bike that covers you best for the riding you do, not the riding you 'might' do. 

On 7/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, Shebeen said:

I answer my own question. The awesome but exclusive piketboberg trails on mouton valley farm used for the The U are unfortunately very close yet oh so far. despite being 2km as the crow flies, it is up a mountain and a 60km+ trip to drive there from Banhoek!

image.png.f1ac578537fecbb191d544ce473ac417.png

There is a perfectly good dirt road heading up where the map above says Goeverwacht; much shorter than driving via Piketberg. 

Hey Louis. Bummed to hear that your MX days are over, but mountain biking can fill the gap for you! The Piketboberg trails are the best in the Western Cape in my opinion so you definitely want to make friends with the farmers to get regular access as a local... Build a new trail from Banghoek to their trails if you have to!😝

Regarding a bike,  I can vouch for the Epic EVO on those trails! As a few others have mentioned there is a fair bit of climbing to earn those flowing downhills so a longer travel bike isn't perfect. But if you aren't worried at all about how fast you get to the top but want to smash the downs maybe a Stumpjumper/Fuel EX may be a better option. I think it comes down to your personal priorities and enjoyment.