“Fake” Go Pro - first hand experience

esCape-ist

I have got a hero 8, and a bunch of mounting hardware. Had it for a few years and never really used it, but now starting to experiment with video editing as a hobby, and want to start filming multiple angles. 

does anyone have any experience with the knock off go pros available on takealot? I am not a pro, and not planning to make any money from my videos, so shelling out R10k on another new go- pro is not gonna happen. But just how bad are these R1000.00 knock off?

something like this:
https://www.takealot.com/volkano-extreme-series-4k-action-camera/PLID55054903

If you have a knock off which one and would you recommend it?

Honestely the Hero 8 is A flippen Mega Camera 

Considering  10 is Bloody awesome in its own right and unless 4k is all you want to work with then stay with the 8.

I've got the 7 and only really use 2.7k and it has been nearly as good as my session 5 , it died and I nearly cried because of it.

I'f gopro relaunch the session with the Hero 8 capabilities my Hero 7 won't see the light of day again and I won't look at the standard gopro again 

Form factor on the Hero 4 and 5 sessions is still underrated TODAY 

There are quite alot of VS type videos on YouTube where they compare the gopros Vs knock-offs. And even compared to the older GoPro models, those knock offs don't come close.

I've owned a knock off a couple years ago and compared to my session 4 at the time... I got rid of the fakey in a matter of days. 

I do media and film making as a profession and even as a hobby I wouldn't bother with those Knock offs . You're better off with a GoPro 6 and up.

56 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

I have got a hero 8, and a bunch of mounting hardware. Had it for a few years and never really used it, but now starting to experiment with video editing as a hobby, and want to start filming multiple angles. 

does anyone have any experience with the knock off go pros available on takealot? I am not a pro, and not planning to make any money from my videos, so shelling out R10k on another new go- pro is not gonna happen. But just how bad are these R1000.00 knock off?

something like this:
https://www.takealot.com/volkano-extreme-series-4k-action-camera/PLID55054903

If you have a knock off which one and would you recommend it?

Check the Buy& Sell section here...there's a Session 5 up there good choice if you want a second angle.

Edited by capediver

I have one similar to that. Bought it a few years ago. It starts up with the gopro startup screen, but the word "gopro" is not on there. The also the software is different and the lense gives a wider angle to the go pro. Other than that, no issues and shoots in 1080p. I use windows movie maker to edit the clips.

The biggest development in action cameras in the last few years is image stabilization IMO. My Hero 3 Black is basically now a still camera or for diving or swimming. On the bike its terrible compared to the newer ones. I suspect the knock offs also lack the stabilization of the GoPro cameras from the 7 on up. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

The biggest development in action cameras in the last few years is image stabilization IMO. My Hero 3 Black is basically now a still camera or for diving or swimming. On the bike its terrible compared to the newer ones. I suspect the knock offs also lack the stabilization of the GoPro cameras from the 7 on up. 

This.....plus higher res and frame-rates

I dont have any issue with all of the above. Although, I mount mine on my bars, personally anywhere on the bike is the best place if you want a much better clip. The moment you move it to the body or helmet, then you get the shakes.

50 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I dont have any issue with all of the above. Although, I mount mine on my bars, personally anywhere on the bike is the best place if you want a much better clip. The moment you move it to the body or helmet, then you get the shakes.

Need to ride faster

4 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I have one similar to that. Bought it a few years ago. It starts up with the gopro startup screen, but the word "gopro" is not on there. The also the software is different and the lense gives a wider angle to the go pro. Other than that, no issues and shoots in 1080p. I use windows movie maker to edit the clips.

Which brand is the one you bought. If I where to get one, I was considering volcano, sinch there speakers etc are not too bad compared to the real deal. Also played around with a volkano drone a while ago and it wasn’t completely rubbish.

do you maybe have a link to a YouTube vid filmed with your camera?

4 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Which brand is the one you bought. If I where to get one, I was considering volcano, sinch there speakers etc are not too bad compared to the real deal. Also played around with a volkano drone a while ago and it wasn’t completely rubbish.

do you maybe have a link to a YouTube vid filmed with your camera?

I bought mine a few years back. There is no name. Go it on ali express.

My other one is an SJcam M10. Some people claim its better than the equivalent gopro

Edited by Eddy Gordo

So I got my daughter a volcano 1080 extreme camera about 18 months ago. This is one of her vids. I thought the quality was pretty good for the price!

17 hours ago, Trance Dance said:

So I got my daughter a volcano 1080 extreme camera about 18 months ago. This is one of her vids. I thought the quality was pretty good for the price!

Compared to a 7 and up GoPro, that is pretty terrible. I can't watch this or my own videos anymore because of the jumpy bumpy video quality. 

31 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Compared to a 7 and up GoPro, that is pretty terrible. I can't watch this or my own videos anymore because of the jumpy bumpy video quality. 

Yeah, the stabilisation is definitely not on par… but this is being filmed into the sun, and obviously no Color correction done in post editing of the video, so not completely terrible. I am going to get one, and try it out for b roll shooting, and using mounted on tripod etc, so basically fimling from a stationary spot, and keep the 8 for body or bike cam footage