3d printing aero riser

Charity85

Good day Hubbers

Looking at options to raise my aero bars (Profile Design Sonix CSX). I checked some options but only found profile designs official option and for about R950.00 it seems a ton of money. Does anyone know of anyone willing to try and 3d print these,  and do you rate they would be strong enough?

Riser.jpg

Edited by Charity85

You

27 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

Are you certain they are plastic. Majority of those types of spacers are metal. 

You might be right, still feels like alot of money for them

• 1 year later...

Out of curiosity how do the bars fit to those?  Besides the recommendation to go with a Nylon option I'm still just thinking about layering adhesion/strength for that because that is going to be kinda important if you want to get that printed.  Reason is that any print is weakest if force is applied to it in its print layer. 

e.g. if you take the below image and you were to bend the upright print like a pencil that thing will snap like a twig.

image.png.db23610000f0026a82d362801ffc8bf4.png

F3W356MI1LZ0AOO.webp.a15bccd9fd155b0e9985389454f79f99.webp

Edited by -cK-

Just now, -cK- said:

Out of curiosity how do the bars fit to those?  Besides the recommendation to go with a Nylon option I'm still just thinking about layering adhesion/strength for that because that is going to be kinda important if you want to get that printed.  Reason is that any print is weakest if force is applied to it in its print layer. 

e.g. if you take the below image and you were to bend the upright print like a pencil that thing will snap like a twig.

image.png.db23610000f0026a82d362801ffc8bf4.png

F3W356MI1LZ0AOO.webp.a15bccd9fd155b0e9985389454f79f99.webp

My understanding is that are merely spacers, like a headset spacer.

You simply use longer bolts to fit everything together.

Have a look on the Munga thread and you will see the super high 'aero' bar setups which use these 

image.png.41f2fb0dfd4669bebc53117bb13e2f0c.png

Just looking at how force might be applied to when you put your arms in those arm rests the force is at multiple angles so not a straight down force.  Meaning there will be a sideways force to those so upright printing is a big no no and printing it flat will help but there is still a concerns with where the parts link that could make the part split on the flat printed seams as well. 

Personally I would not print something like this as with my limited knowledge of material fatigue and enginering I see no good way you can print a functional part like this with any guarantee it will not break on a print layer at some point and if that gives you will be taking a noise dive.  A lot of the force will be on the bolts but I would not trust this on a printed part.  There is a reason these parts are machined out of solid blocks of metal. 

This is just my opinion as I have never printed Nylon parts as my printer is not capable of printing that filament but from what I've learned on my PETG prints those would be my concerns. 

I been down that road recently, granted I'm also just printing with my home stuff ... 

I printed spacers with PETG, fitted them and went for a ride or 2 .... uhhmmm no not for me can't have more teeth fixed after my other falls! When you ride on the bars and 'pull up' as you inevitably do I could hear funny noise from the spacers 👀

Got some off road motorbike handlebar spacers from the Grumpy one, not many know that he was a pretty accomplished dirt bike racer in his day! I did have to file them a bit to fit and print a 'filler' but they work a treat 😎

I also don't have experience with the newer fancier materials so can't comment on those

20230313_082211~2.jpg

20230313_152107~2.jpg

20230519_114641.jpg

20230519_114649.jpg

On 12/1/2023 at 10:17 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

I been down that road recently, granted I'm also just printing with my home stuff ... 

I printed spacers with PETG, fitted them and went for a ride or 2 .... uhhmmm no not for me can't have more teeth fixed after my other falls! When you ride on the bars and 'pull up' as you inevitably do I could hear funny noise from the spacers 👀

Got some off road motorbike handlebar spacers from the Grumpy one, not many know that he was a pretty accomplished dirt bike racer in his day! I did have to file them a bit to fit and print a 'filler' but they work a treat 😎

I also don't have experience with the newer fancier materials so can't comment on those

20230313_082211~2.jpg

That infill looks around 10%.

I would go 100% infill for this experiment.

But agree with others here, this is not the type of material to be using for this solution.

1 hour ago, Mtree said:

Maybe chat to @Jono(hopefully the correct one). He can cnc machine them from aluminum, as he does with the Garmin and varia mounts. 

Also agree on the 3d printed option probably not being the best way to go here. 
Once off cnc machining is not very cost effective. There are exceptions to this but once you factor in 3d design, creating toolpaths, making a fixture etc. it gets expensive. 
In fact if I needed these for myself and considering I have the skills and tools to make them, I’d probably still buy them at R950.

1 hour ago, Jono said:

Also agree on the 3d printed option probably not being the best way to go here. 
Once off cnc machining is not very cost effective. There are exceptions to this but once you factor in 3d design, creating toolpaths, making a fixture etc. it gets expensive. 
In fact if I needed these for myself and considering I have the skills and tools to make them, I’d probably still buy them at R950.

A LOT of people dont seem to understand this, not taking a jab at anyone here, but I also have the means to make a lot of things myself, and people never understand why I just buy things instead, just because you can make something yourself, doesnt mean it is worthwhile doing so

20 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

A LOT of people dont seem to understand this, not taking a jab at anyone here, but I also have the means to make a lot of things myself, and people never understand why I just buy things instead, just because you can make something yourself, doesnt mean it is worthwhile doing so

This is wisdom.

There is also the case of unfinished projects.

I have an entire shed and spare bedroom full  of unfinished projects. Stuff I spent money on, started and then bought the finished product anyway. 

There is, however, a difference in whether YOU are making something or paying someone to manufacture. 

Having something made is not the same as making it yourself and that is usually where the cost comes in. 

22 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

The satisfaction of knowing you made it is truly priceless.

It's not just about the solution.

You speak truth, but the OP is probably not in need of life philosophy 😁