Rear rotor failure - ever seen this?

CLC5850

18 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Evo bikes had them in store so i was sorted on the first try. Yes im one of those people 😊. i just need a IS 160-180mm rear now…those are even more rare. My mild pseudo OCD cant handle the 2 adapters stacked on each other. (IS 160 + 180P/P2 for the 180mm rear) 

Also got the 203 disc and spacer from Evobikes last year.

Give Mark a call for the 160-180.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW !!!

Supplier says he sees this on a regular basis - I call BS !!

Surely it must have made a fair amount of noise - would not happen to Avids they'll squeal like a pig in a jiffy.

Must have been an interesting feeling - hope not on the downhill.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:21 PM, MORNE said:

Evo bikes had them in store so i was sorted on the first try. Yes im one of those people 😊. i just need a IS 160-180mm rear now…those are even more rare. My mild pseudo OCD cant handle the 2 adapters stacked on each other. (IS 160 + 180P/P2 for the 180mm rear) 

IS +20? I have bags of them. Rear IS is usually 140 though, so you'll probably need a +40, which I also have.

As for the rest, Formula make everything and usually have good stock. Hope too, though you'll need their chart since they make up their own nomenclatures for pretty much everything.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:26 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

I don't have the experience many here do but I have seen strange wear like that, not broken off though, when a 205mm rotor was used in a 200mm caliper setup.

I was still surprised that the rider didn't notice any strange sounds, scraping of the outer edge of rotor against the metal of the caliper or the pads touching on the little parts of the rotor.

I put 5mm spacers in and solved it that way ..  he's still riding it like that now

Technically you only needed 2.5mm to make up the 5mm discrepancy :P

On 9/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, porqui said:

WOW !!!

Supplier says he sees this on a regular basis - I call BS !!

Surely it must have made a fair amount of noise - would not happen to Avids they'll squeal like a pig in a jiffy.

Must have been an interesting feeling - hope not on the downhill.

I had a very fortunate escape falling 1,5m or so into the soft stuff at Northern Farm. Three days before I was coming down from Tiffendell with steepest at 24* so that would have been farewell on many corners which have 50m plus drops. 

I once rode down a very long, dangerous and very steep downhill. I mistakenly held the brakes on for too long and the rear rotor cooked. It didn't turn orange. It turned into a deep purple and the rotor warped so bad that I had to take the caliper off to continue my ride. But never, ever did I, under all the gruesome terrains I rode on, experience a rotor fail like that. 

The brand shouldn't make such a difference. The main material is S/S, but S/S or not, neglect or lack of care will wear it down. Whatever the source of the neglect the damage in these photos are due to excessive wear. Don't blame the rotor.