[Event] PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: PPA One Tonner
When: 06/11/2022
Where: Hoërskool Stellenbosch, , Mostertsdrift, Stellenbosch, Western Cape
Category: Road

The Pedal Power Association is proud to announce the return of one of our premier events, the PPA One Tonner, a popular seeding event for the annual Cape Town Cycle Tour on Sunday, 6 November 2022. We are running an early bird special until Friday, 30 September 2022. PPA members receive a huge discount, so be sure to join the PPA to qualify for the discount.

Entries to the PPA One Tonner is open to PPA members as well as non-members and is ideal for experienced and average cyclists, as well as newcomers to the sport. E-Bikes and Tandems are welcome to join.

The prestigious event returns to the scenic Stellenbosch Winelands, with the start hosted at Stellenbosch High School and the finishing along the traditional Helshoogte Road with a short neutral section back to Stellenbosch High School. There will be three distances on offer; 40 km; 109 km; 170 km to cater for all fitness levels, a perfect day for the entire family. The two long routes of 109 km and 170 km are both official premier seeding events for the 2023 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

The PPA One Tonner, is one of only two events on the PPA calendar that offer a route longer than 120 km. Although there will be no official team entries to the PPA One Tonner the race offers the perfect opportunity for your entire DC team to have a final practice run prior to the Old Mutual Wealth Double Century which takes place in November.

We will offer an information tent to assist riders with any last-minute questions as well as a bike shop for minor bike adjustments and last-minute spares anyone may need. There will be a variety of vendors offering coffee for your caffeine fix as well as pancakes, food, beer, cooldrinks, and more! There will be a bike park to ensure more room around the venue for everyone. So come sit back, relax, and enjoy the moment with friends and family.

The PPA Bike4All team believes in putting more people onto bicycles and will be at the BMX track at the venue, so bring along your kids and be sure to enquire about our bicycle distribution and development program.

Our PPA Stay Wider of the Rider safe cycling team will be cheering you along at the 170km waterpoint where they will be raising awareness amongst the motorist along the route. Please support our safe cycling campaign and cycle in your Stay Wider of the Rider cycling jersey. We will be handing out spot prizes at the finish venue to some lucky riders wearing our jerseys on the day.

Your entry fee includes: timing by RaceTec, finishers medal, a beautiful on route experience, fully stocked waterpoints, post-race village, lucky draw with great prizes to be won from Thule, Krank’d, GPM Sports, Sportsmans Warehouse and more. Prize money will be awarded to all distance winners in 2022, with men and women receiving equal prize money up to R30 000.

DATE: Sunday, 6 November 2022

VENUE: Stellenbosch High School, 18 Jannasch Rd, Mostertsdrift, Stellenbosch.

DISTANCES: 40 km; 109 km; 170 km

START TIMES: From 06h00

PRIZE GIVING: The top three men and women across the line prize giving will take place at the venue as soon as the results have been signed-off by the commissaires. We expect this to be between 12h00-13h00 and will announce the actual time at least 30 minutes prior to the prize-giving taking place.

LUCKY DRAW: At 14h00

CUT OFF AT THE FINISH: At 15h30

ENTRIES CLOSE: Thursday, 27 October 2022

COST:

Early Bird Entries:

(valid till Friday, 30 September 2022)

40 km PPA member – R50

40 km non-member – R120

109 km PPA member – R300

109 km non-member – R420

170 km PPA member – R450

170 km non-member – R570

General Entries:

(From Saturday, 31 September till Thursday, 27 October)

40 km PPA member – R100

40 km non-member – R150

109 km PPA member – R350

109 km non-member – R450

170 km PPA member – R500

170 km non-member – R600

START GROUPS: You will be divided into groups depending on your seeding. Your start group and start time will be sent via sms and email by Wednesday, 2 November.

Thursday, 3 November 2022: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportsmans Warehouse, Rondebosch.

Friday, 4 November 2022: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportsmans Warehouse, Tygervalley.

Sunday, 6 November 2022: From 05h00: Stellenbosch High school.

ROUTE INFORMATION:

The three routes cater for everyone, the 40 km is perfect for beginners and riders that would just like to get in a short ride, the 109 km caters for the fitter riders that enjoy longer distances and the 170 km is perfect for the endurance rider and those that would like to get in their last training and test their fitness levels, before the Old Mutual Wealth Double Century and test their fitness levels.

40 km:

No children u/10 on the 40km route.

A short loop in the Stellenbosch Winelands, perfect for beginners with no big climbs. Riders will head down Helshoogte towards the R44 and take a right turn and continue to Klapmuts. Left onto the R101 and then left onto the R304 and another left into Kromme Rhee followed by a right onto R44 which will be at 8km mark from the finish. A final left turn into Helshoogte and you have 1km to go. There will be a neutral zone back to the venue. 

You will have one waterpoint at 26km at Koelenhof Winery. There will be some Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s to get your ready for the last part of the route.

109 km:

No children u/16 on the 109 km route.

You have one testing climb, the iconic Helshoogte Pass within the first 1km, thereafter you make your way left onto R45 another left onto R101 towards Klapmuts. At Klapmuts you turn right onto the R44 and at Windmeul Cellar a left turn into Vryguns Road. Another left onto R302 for a long stretch all the way to Kromme Rhee where you will make a left turn. Thereafter a right turn onto the R44 and you are on the last stretch of the race. A final left turn into Helshoogte and you have 1km to go. There will be a neutral zone back to the venue. 

You will have 4 waterpoints to keep you going!

Waterpoint 1 will be at 30km with sweets, Powerade and water.

Waterpoint 2 will be at 67km with Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s.

Waterpoint 3 will be at 93km with Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s.

Waterpoint 4 will be at 99km with Coke, water and banana’s

170 km:

No children u/18 on the 170km route.

The ultimate training ride for the Old Mutual Double Century, while this is a individual race it is still a great opportunity to test your fitness levels. The 170 km route is a tough ride that includes two challenging climbs. Right after the start, you’ll head up Helshoogte for your first big climb of the day. After a left turn onto the R45, you’ll tackle the undulating roads out towards Paarl, Wellington, Hermon and Riebeeck Kasteel. The second big climb of the day waits just after Riebeeck Kasteel: Botmaskloof Pass. From there you’ll pedal through Malmesbury and along the R304 past the silo’s and back towards Stellenbosch via the Kromme Rhee Road and the R44, finishing again on Helshoogte Road shortly before the start of the climb. There will be a neutral zone back to the venue. 

You will have 7 waterpoints to keep you going!

Waterpoint 1 will be at 30km with sweets, Powerade and water.

Waterpoint 2 will be at 59km with Coke, water and banana’s.

Waterpoint 3 will be at 91km with Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s.

Waterpoint 4 will be at 108km with Coke, water, sweets and banana’s.

Waterpoint 5 will be at 128km with Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s.

Waterpoint 6 will be at 154km with Coke, water, sweets, chocolates and banana’s.

Waterpoint 7 will be at 160km with Coke, water and banana’s

Go to Event Page.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, WattsTheFuss said:

Apologies, guess i needed to be more specific, the 109km route, not the 170km route.

The start and finish yes - the rest not so much

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Wish we had neutral service cars with water in the $ group... 🙁

Think its part of the challenge of the one tonner? If you want to stick with your group till the end make sure you have enough water with you (or a team that will pull you back if you have to make the stop) - one of the reasons I rate this race to be tougher than the DC

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Think its part of the challenge of the one tonner? If you want to stick with your group till the end make sure you have enough water with you (or a team that will pull you back if you have to make the stop) - one of the reasons I rate this race to be tougher than the DC

Yeah, it would be part of the challenge, but unfortunately it creates a bit of an unequal situation in the race up front with half the field able to take on nutrition and water mid-race without stopping...

40 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Yeah, it would be part of the challenge, but unfortunately it creates a bit of an unequal situation in the race up front with half the field able to take on nutrition and water mid-race without stopping...

Not sure what you mean, I thought support cars are not allowed? Or are they?

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Not sure what you mean, I thought support cars are not allowed? Or are they?

Doesn't look to be explicitly banned, and if it's not allowed road side support is still possible.

57 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm just miff 'cause my wife said Riebeek Kasteel is too far to drive to do support... :lol:

Trust me you only going to need that 3rd bottle closer to home, so maybe you can convince her to meet you at km mark 140 to 160