Rhino Run 2022 - KAMAAAN Benky!!

Shebeen

15 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Give this man a bells, for making a plan and still keeping the hope alive. Many would be broken after that...

and also, Kamaaan Benky!!!!

And still be within distance to Benky (+-1 and a bit hours behind). That's some perserverance. Racing tests both man and machine.

Go Benky!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the dots, Benky is close to Solitaire... and Abdullah about ±20km behind.

Think both will do another stop here as this is the last place for any supplies before the finish and that last 60km is a brutal stretch.

Going to be an interesting race for 4th? 5 Riders within a few kilometers ( 20km ) of each other.

Go Benky.

I wonder if the altitude will affect them closer to Windhoek in the last +-100kms & who will handle it better.

looking at the breadcrumbs since the start 7 days and 4 hours ago..

Benky has stopped each night so far, and racked up 31:30 of stopping time in sleeping areas. i guess a lot of that will be actual dossing.

Meanwhile Abdullah rode through the first two nights straight, and then slept for a single hour on the third. He has done 16:30 of sleeping area stops. While he does seem to spend more time at shopping spots during the day, this points to Benky resting more and then being slightly quicker on the actual road.

I can't recall following someone with such a zombie riding strategy as Abdullah before, it means Benky definitely needs to be careful of stopping tonight!

Benky in Solitaire.

With the extra sleep he’s had, if he could be gone in an hour Abdullah likely won’t see him and not have a carrot to chase. 

Who knows. Maybe he can push without another proper sleep (maybe a 20 min roadside nap worst case) to the end?!

25 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I can't recall following someone with such a zombie riding strategy as Abdullah before, it means Benky definitely needs to be careful of stopping tonight!

Marco Martins that won Munga in 2017 jumps to mind of me right now.

24 minutes ago, andrew5336 said:

Benky in Solitaire.

With the extra sleep he’s had, if he could be gone in an hour Abdullah likely won’t see him and not have a carrot to chase. 

Who knows. Maybe he can push without another proper sleep (maybe a 20 min roadside nap worst case) to the end?!

in the live video now, Benky gave an eta of 8am tomorrow morning. So I guess there will be whole lot more sleeping done later but also that he wont be trying to break records just to finish 1 minute ahead of Abdulla.

11 minutes ago, andrew5336 said:

Benky in Solitaire.

also benky is on 2.4" mtb tyres, Abdullah on 48mm gravel tyres, so the sandy stuff he has an edge too.

insta live. benky intervie from about 7 mins in, 9:45 is quite classic

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkQBD__pn2X/

An open letter to Benky 😉

Dear Kevin, when (if) you read this, pllllleeease on your next visit to Cape Town, can I organise an evening social event where you tell us about how you prep for a race/ride like this, but then more interestingly, how do you plan your strategy and what goes through your mind as you ride 2750km. The longest solo bikepacing ride I've done is 560km and that was tough. The Rhino Run just blows my mind.

See you in Cape Town. Beers on me! 🙂 

13 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

and just as Abdullah pulls in to Solitaire Benky takes off.

Solitaire estimates

KB in 9:40  out 10:40

AZ in 11:15 out  ??

6 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Dear Kevin, when (if) you read this, pllllleeease on your next visit to Cape Town, can I organise an evening social event where you tell us about how you prep for a race/ride like this, but then more interestingly, how do you plan your strategy and what goes through your mind as you ride 2750km. The longest solo bikepacing ride I've done is 560km and that was tough. The Rhino Run just blows my mind.

Second round on me... Would love to understand the mental toughness...

6 minutes ago, Stephan said:

little back story is that Benky wiped out about 2 months ago and stuffed up his elbow. His participation here was in doubt for a while, but the stacked field got him there

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Solitaire estimates

KB in 9:40  out 10:40

AZ in 11:15 out  ??

I reckon AZ probably longer, that must be a mental blow, I see he is also Vegan so refueling selection must be limited as well.