Amashova 2022

DroppedRider

Any idea if the roads are ready or being worked on? Drove some of the route about a month ago and it was pothole galore. If I remember correctly there was a nasty section by Inchanga that had potholes at the bottom of a descent. 

Did a race Recon of the route on the weekend. The roads from Catoridge to Inchanga are a bit dodge with pot holes and some bad road sections. It is at a slight descent as well. As someone still new to the sport, what would be your race strategy in those sections if you aiming to stick with the bunch? I can already foresee a few punctures in that section.  

14 minutes ago, DroppedRider said:

Did a race Recon of the route on the weekend. The roads from Catoridge to Inchanga are a bit dodge with pot holes and some bad road sections. It is at a slight descent as well. As someone still new to the sport, what would be your race strategy in those sections if you aiming to stick with the bunch? I can already foresee a few punctures in that section.  

If your rims can take tubeless ready tyres, I would get a set of Panaracer Gravelking slicks and set them up tubeless. You won't have a problem. I run them on my road bike and I've never had an issue...even on rough roads and the odd foray "off road."

3 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

If the road is bad enough, you have to consider not only punctures, but bottles coming off, or a crash happening in front of you.
I rather leave much bigger gaps on the descents if in doubt. Plus, if this past weekend's race is anything to go by, I'll find myself in a smaller group pretty quickly anyway after a climb or three 🤦‍♂️

Edited by HdB

1 minute ago, HdB said:

If the road is bad enough, you have to consider not only punctures, but bottles coming off, or a crash happening in front of you.
I rather leave much bigger gaps on the descents if in doubt. Plus, if this past weekend's race is anything to go by, I'll find myself in a smaller group pretty quickly anyway after a climb or three 🤦‍♂️

6.35am start as well. Think I am going to follow this advice thanks. Plan B is to move myself to sit on the front wheels to try and keep myself away from the dangers. That's if I am still with the bunch! Based in Durban and I find those permanently based high altitude Jozi riders have a great ability of killing my legs 😅

I hope they can fix most of the potholes. I'm retuning to the race after many year not doing it. Its always been my favourite race. I hope it stay my favourite. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, Mamba said:

Amashova is turning into a gravel / MTB race

I like that ! Since we will be there on MTB's, it should be perfect !😀

It’s still full road closure, right?
If yes, then don’t be afraid to use the full road width. 

Always find it strange the people keep left when the road bends right.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It’s still full road closure, right?
If yes, then don’t be afraid to use the full road width. 

Always find it strange the people keep left when the road bends right.

most people dont know how to apex a corner

but

if I feel like there are faster rider around me I'll keep to the outside of a bend so that they can apex the bend without me getting in the way.

OT:

my favourite set of bends in a race are through the Scarborough area on the way to misty cliffs. Ever since my first Argus I'm down in the drops apexing the bends. I think the slight negative gradient and normally having some wind to assist makes it feel so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a shout out to the guys at Hatton Cycles in Pmb !

Picked up our numbers for us. We collected at the shop. Saved us probably around 4hrs.

Really appreciate it, and what a friendly bunch.

Great service guys !