Tight pedals

Sampaj

NB: take note of thread direction. You can use a pipe over the allen / hex key to improve mechanical advantage. 

Right (driveside) pedals are always standard-threaded. This means they tighten by turning the spindle clockwise and loosen by turning anti-clockwise. In other words, right to tighten, left to loosen.

18 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

Right (driveside) pedals are always standard-threaded. This means they tighten by turning the spindle clockwise and loosen by turning anti-clockwise. In other words, right to tighten, left to loosen.

What he said, right pedal the right way, left pedals go the wrong way

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Pedals loosen to the rear of the bike, when the spanner/Allen key is above the horizontal position.

Also what he said. 
took the pedals off my bike earlier today to inspect, and this method  is how I remembered the thread direction. 

19 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

NB: take note of thread direction. You can use a pipe over the allen / hex key to improve mechanical advantage. 

If you have a good set of Allen keys, I rounded 3 6mm Allen keys once trying to remove a stubborn pedal. All cheap rubbish Allen keys. 

I used an old seatpost (not recommended😁) over an allen key to gain leverage if it helps at all. It worked brilliantly. 

57 minutes ago, Josh Metcalf said:

I used an old seatpost (not recommended😁) over an allen key to gain leverage if it helps at all. It worked brilliantly. 

well it does get your knuckles out beyond the line of the chainrings I guess. just don't hit them on the floor when it decides to let go.

8 hours ago, Josh Metcalf said:

The one time I was struggling with a crankset, I was battling for quite some time, I got up went outside and got the metal rake and used that to get it loose. (the opposite site of where the teeth are)

It can be mad frustrating sometimes.. 🤣

Edited by Phillippe Coetzee

On 10/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, Sampaj said:

Help wanted to remove tight pedals please 

It sometimes work to heat up the threads with a heatgun, or Q20 can help or you can create some kind of shock. (Putting the spanner where it needs to be and hitting the spanner with a hammer.)

On 10/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, Sampaj said:

Help wanted to remove tight pedals please 

Left side has an opposite direction thread.

Hack: To loosen, turn both in the direction of the rear of the bike. You might need some Q20, give it time to penetrate the thread.