Moving to Cpt

Johann123007

Good day all

I wanted to ask you guys .Is there any bike lanes in bellville area.Im moving to Bellville and totally new to the area.Will i be able to commute to work.And will I be able to travel safely from bellville to stellenbosch on weekends. 

Regards

Johann

Lots of people commute in the Bellville area - not many (any?) bike lanes but usually wide shoulders, depending on your route. Check out Strava's heat map to see the most popular routes. 

Riding from Bellville to Stellenbosch is possible and reasonably safe but Bottelary Rd is a bit of a gamble these days, especially early morning when the drunks are out. I would drive to Stellenbosch and ride from there. But there are plenty of groups that ride along Bottelary and I have too on a few occasions.

Johann welkom in die Kaap

The few cycling lanes are more in Durbanville.  Not so much in Bellville.

You would probably make your way to Brackenfell ... some of these roads have yellow shoulders ... but you may well have the odd not-so-nice bit.

Once in Brackenfell you have a choice of routes to Bottelary road, with ample shoulder.

Bottelary road has a nice wide shoulder, and mostly safe.  LOTS of cyclists on this section !!

I prefer to go straight onto Kromme Rhee road - NO shoulder, and very narrow !  But it is a short link to the R44.  This entry into Stellenbosch just feels a bit safer for me  (I avoid Kayamandi on a bicycle)

HOWEVER .... if you are a MTB'er .... there is a route over the Bottelary routes taking you into Stellenbosch ....  (I have not ridden this myself)

PS - Stellenbosch is thee hotspot for bicycle thefts .... DONT lock your bike outside .....

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Johann welkom in die Kaap

The few cycling lanes are more in Durbanville.  Not so much in Bellville.

You would probably make your way to Brackenfell ... some of these roads have yellow shoulders ... but you may well have the odd not-so-nice bit.

Once in Brackenfell you have a choice of routes to Bottelary road, with ample shoulder.

Bottelary road has a nice wide shoulder, and mostly safe.  LOTS of cyclists on this section !!

I prefer to go straight onto Kromme Rhee road - NO shoulder, and very narrow !  But it is a short link to the R44.  This entry into Stellenbosch just feels a bit safer for me  (I avoid Kayamandi on a bicycle)

HOWEVER .... if you are a MTB'er .... there is a route over the Bottelary routes taking you into Stellenbosch ....  (I have not ridden this myself)

PS - Stellenbosch is thee hotspot for bicycle thefts .... DONT lock your bike outside .....

(Is this bottelary route easy to find?)Baie dankie

Johann this is one of my regular weekend routes.

Bellville . Brackenfell . Bottelary . Bit of a detour (love the section past Elsenburg) . Stellenbosch ... round lap via Kuilsriver.

The yellow circle shows the Kromme Rhee shorter route to Stellenbos h

Screenshot_20221018-171814_Connect.jpg

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Jip 👍👍

Hoof skakel roete.

Laat weet wanneer jy hier is, dan gaan wys ek jou.

Sal definitely so maak Baie dankie.Dis nog n tydjie voor ek trek maar ek wil solank al my.logistics net beplan.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Jip 👍👍

Hoof skakel roete.

Laat weet wanneer jy hier is, dan gaan wys ek jou.

Welkom in die Kaap. Jys welkom om my ook te laat weet as jy in Bellville (Rock city🎸) is, dan reel ons n ride Stellies toe. 

2 minutes ago, PH said:

Welkom in die Kaap. Jys welkom om my ook te laat weet as jy in Bellville (Rock city🎸) is, dan reel ons n ride Stellies 

Baie dankie ek sal kontak maak sodrae ek in rockcity is😁🤙

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Up the hill at Devonvale and then at the top of the hill take the gravel dog leg left, through the gate at the bottom and then sharp right down a short, steep concrete road that will spit you out onto Devon valley road. Hook a left and ride flat tar through some beautiful scenery into Stellies.

it's a rather fun alternative to Bottelary, Kromme Rhee.

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Ek sal nooit Kromme Rhee ry nie. Miskien op die grond langs die pad.

Een  van ons spanmaats op skool is hier doodgery. 18 jaar later en ek onthou nou nog daai oproep. 

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Up the hill at Devonvale and then at the top of the hill take the gravel dog leg left, through the gate at the bottom and then sharp right down a short, steep concrete road that will spit you out onto Devon valley road. Hook a left and ride flat tar through some beautiful scenery into Stellies.

it's a rather fun alternative to Bottelary, Kromme Rhee.

Can this be done with a day pass ?

Pay point ?

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Ek sal nooit Kromme Rhee ry nie. Miskien op die grond langs die pad.

Een  van ons spanmaats op skool is hier doodgery. 18 jaar later en ek onthou nou nog daai oproep. 

Sadly there is absolutely no "shoulder" to ride on that section.

Considering all the lovely trail options in the area, and the very large number of cyclists on that section ... strange that they have not created a shoulder or even a cycling lane.

An alternative and safer route which avoids Kayamandi is to turn right into saxdown once on Bottlary. Then left going past Zevenwacht link road. This will take you over Polkadraai which is lovely. A bit longer but safer.

20 hours ago, Johann123007 said:

Good day all

I wanted to ask you guys .Is there any bike lanes in bellville area.Im moving to Bellville and totally new to the area.Will i be able to commute to work.And will I be able to travel safely from bellville to stellenbosch on weekends. 

Regards

Johann

What @Tomik said... I commute in Bellville but Bellville not set up for bicycle commuting at all. However there are safe options if you plan your route, some of the larger roads have wide shoulders and there are options through the suburbs on quiet roads that you can figure out over time

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Can this be done with a day pass ?

Pay point ?

It was free the last time I did it. Granted that was a couple of years ago. I can't think that it changed though.

Edit - It's a public road so no club permission required

Edited by Robbie Stewart