eBike to Europe

Are there any major caveats on taking an ebike to Europe? 
Will be travelling air france I think in a coupe of weeks and not sure if there are extra issues with ebikes?

Most especially any special tricks with the battery?

Am not suggesting you travel Qatarair, but having JUST travelled CPT-DOHA, and then DOHA-SYDNEY, was impressed to learn QATAR Air has a T-W-O 23kg bag policy, meaning you can fly a LOT of extra luggage for free; I only took along ONE 23kg bag, but this info MAY help you, or even others…flying with extra ‘stuff’ into Europe…

Cheers

Chris

Many thanks for the replies - sadly tickets are booked and not keen on trekking through the gulf. I once did Sydney via Dubai. Never again!
Let me see what the policies of the carrier are as I need to commit in the next day or three.

Airlines don't allow lithium batteries in check-in luggage and a maximum of 20000mah to be carried on. 

I don't think they will allow an e-bike. You could in theory just check it in as a bicycle but I would hate to be told on the airport that it can't be checked-in. 

Phone ahead and find out. 

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Airlines don't allow lithium batteries in check-in luggage and a maximum of 20000mah to be carried on. 

I don't think they will allow an e-bike. You could in theory just check it in as a bicycle but I would hate to be told on the airport that it can't be checked-in. 

Phone ahead and find out. 

JIP.

LOTS of segments about this on EMBN.

Two options:

1. leave the battery at home, and rent a battery at your destination .... this works for some brands, and only in the very popular tourist destinations.

2. Rent an ebike at your destination.  Friends just did a few weeks hopping islands off Croacia.  They rented ebikes in all but one stop.

The other option is to courier the battery or the whole bike. I have done this with Fedex from SA to USA a few month ago(Battery only) and the quotes were astronomically except Fedex they were just high....