Thank you for your interest in the PowerTap system

Here is some basic information about the various models:

Current Pricing:

PowerTap (Standard): R5999

PowerTap Pro: R6999

PowerTap SL: R8499

Are those prices inc vat.
Where can i get a powertap sl for R8499

Mail me at peter at bikemax.co.za and I will arrange for you.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me more about the iBike?

I heard it is a lot cheaper and can do the job just as well....

I seriously thought about the ibike because of the price and you can move it from bike to bike,but i had a few concerns and decided not to purchase one.There is a lot of technical and scientific data on their website on how the system uses newtons laws to predict power but if you go to the setup procedure of the ibike there are things that are of concern.In the initial setup you have to input rider weight including bike and water.This number is obviously used to predict power output,but what happens close to the end of a ride when you have finished 2 water bottles  lost fluid and eaten your energy bars and are now a couple of kilos lighter.The system doesn't seem to take that into account.The best system seems to be the power tap or the Ergomo.Just have to bight the bullet and pay the money.

There is NO substitute for direct measurement. The more variables that have to be dealt with the more errors are introduced.

If you really want something cheaper than a PT then go for the Polar. It's main limitation is that it can't be used on a trainer and there are variations across the cluster, although you can minimise this to an extent with manufactured brackets to get the positioning relative to the chain center line.  

Can anyone tell me more about the iBike?

I heard it is a lot cheaper and can do the job just as well....

I bike is R4000 in SA and has some serious flaws;

1. Needs very regular calibration - as often as each ride. This means a ride up to 20 mph then a coast doen to zero in the position you are going to ride.

2. It has a fixed value for frontal area which means that it is not acurate and power will vary if in the drops, on the hoods, standing up etc etc

3. Because it estimates power based on wind speed it is dependent upon a good air flow - so riding in a bunch reduces it's effectiveness dramatically

4. It needs to remain level on the bars and this is proving tough due to road vibration

5. Rough roads cause drop outs and then high power spikes - this stufs up the Norm power value greatly

When you can pick up a PT Std for not much more this is a much better, more accurate and reliable option.

There will be some special deals on the PT std soon that will be worth looking out for.

does the iBike thing work on airflow?

sounds like a very unreliable system to me!

Yes it does - has a thing called an "accelerometer"

I would not be able to use a system that doesn't work on a trainer - the amout of time I spend on a trainer is significant.

The iBike sounds very flaky to me. 

Thanx for all the advice, I think I'll save up a bit more and get the real one.

What do they say? Go big or go home!!

Thanx for all the advice' date=' I think I'll save up a bit more and get the real one.

[/quote']

Good call - as I said, there may be some very good deals coming up on the PT std - mail me if you want more info. peter at bikemax.co.za

Thanx for all the advice' date=' I think I'll save up a bit more and get the real one.

[/quote']

Had my PT SL for 4 months now. Best cycling investment I ever made. You won't regret it.

Update..

For any of you looking at getting a power meter - we have a great deal coming up on the PT std hub built into an open pro wheel.

This is a great solution at a good price.

If you want more info then mail me directly at ;

peter at bikemax.co.za