TACX Flux S vs TACX Flux 2 vs SARIS H3

Vish999

Hey. I need to get more on the bike during the week so decided to get an indoor trainer. Only looking for direct drive. Budget is about 10k. Brand new around my budget is the TACX Flux S or I can spend a little more and choose between SARIS H3 or Tacx Flux 2. Can't afford the Wahoo range. Which one is more reliable? I don't race but do over 50Km rides with some decent gradients. I live in a house and will set this up in my patio so noise isn't really a concern. It's more the reliability and after sales support I'm interested. Thanks. 

We've had our H2 for about 4 years now, and the H3 for about 2 years. I've replaced the belt on the H2 a few times, other than that they have both been absolutely solid. Bicycle Power's support is also very good.

Not sure who the distributor is of the Tacx

I have a Wahoo Kickr 3. I think you will be able to pick one up for around your budget...

I don't have any experience with any of the products you mentioned, but the H3 is supposed to be on a better level than the others on your list. It's known as a no nonsense, stable trainer that can handle a lot of power. It is often compared to the Kickr 5 and Tacx Neo for stability and power but eith less fancy features.

Regarding the 2 Tacx models. A salesman told me about compatability issues with the Flux S and certain cassettes... don't quote me on this. Just make sure

I got some mixed reviews regarding the Flux 2.... check some comparisons on youtube or speak to your LBS. 

Hopefully someone with more experience with these models will chime in

Edited by figjam_sa

I have the H1 and besides being a bit noisy, it is a solid unit. I have done over 15000km with the unit and besides a bit of oil and belt dressing, I haven't had a days issue.

I would buy the H3 - it's considered to be one of the top trainers (premium) and as already mentioned, the local support is very good.

1 hour ago, figjam_sa said:

I have a Wahoo Kickr 3. I think you will be able to pick one up for around your budget...

I don't have any experience with any of the products you mentioned, but the H3 is supposed to be on a better level than the others on your list. It's known as a no nonsense, stable trainer that can handle a lot of power. It is often compared to the Kickr 5 and Tacx Neo for stability and power but eith less fancy features.

Regarding the 2 Tacx models. A salesman told me about compatability issues with the Flux S and certain cassettes... don't quote me on this. Just make sure

I got some mixed reviews regarding the Flux 2.... check some comparisons on youtube or speak to your LBS. 

Hopefully someone with more experience with these models will chime in

Wahoo Kickr 3 is just under 20k so out of my budget. The classifieds have plenty of Wahoo for sale thats in my budget but they are gen1 and gen2. Lots of issues on the web around grinding noise on flywheel. Seems to be bearings.

2 hours ago, HdB said:

We've had our H2 for about 4 years now, and the H3 for about 2 years. I've replaced the belt on the H2 a few times, other than that they have both been absolutely solid. Bicycle Power's support is also very good.

Not sure who the distributor is of the Tacx

Thanks.  Bikaddict has got the H3 for 12999. Will also wait till end of month if any BF specials.

22 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Tacx flux is a great unit. Have not had any issues with mine. Also like the feel of the trainer during resistance changes. 

Thanks. Great reviews online as well. 

8 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

I have the H1 and besides being a bit noisy, it is a solid unit. I have done over 15000km with the unit and besides a bit of oil and belt dressing, I haven't had a days issue.

I would buy the H3 - it's considered to be one of the top trainers (premium) and as already mentioned, the local support is very good.

Thanks. Is maintenance generally required within the warranty period?

16 minutes ago, Vish999 said:

Thanks. Is maintenance generally required within the warranty period?

I have had my unit for 4 years now and haven't even had it serviced.

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

Tacx flux is a great unit. Have not had any issues with mine. Also like the feel of the trainer during resistance changes. 

Please confirm how long you have it and roughly how many KMs. Tx

Edited by Vish999

30 minutes ago, Vish999 said:

Please confirm how long you have it and roughly how many KMs. Tx

I did around 7000km on mine, no issues.  Done in about 2 years

1 hour ago, MysticBlack said:

I have a flux and a flux2 no issues at all, i would personally not splash the extra for the 2 the flux s works just as well

BTW I have done 28000km on my flux 2 and about 10000km on the Flux S, thinking about changing the belt on the flux 2 but from experience, don't fix it if it aint broken

16 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hey. I need to get more on the bike during the week so decided to get an indoor trainer. Only looking for direct drive. Budget is about 10k. Brand new around my budget is the TACX Flux S or I can spend a little more and choose between SARIS H3 or Tacx Flux 2. Can't afford the Wahoo range. Which one is more reliable? I don't race but do over 50Km rides with some decent gradients. I live in a house and will set this up in my patio so noise isn't really a concern. It's more the reliability and after sales support I'm interested. Thanks. 

I have had Tacx Flux S for around 18 months. I have put about 280 hours (about 7700 kms) on it in that time using Zwift. No issues thus far so do not know how good the back-up service is from agents. Had to order a power cord as mine was lost in move to WC, and it arrived in a couple of days, no charge. Tacx is a Garmin product, so that's your back-up. I have no experience with the others, but would happily endorse the Flux S.

Edited by El Duderino
spelling

3 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I have had Tacx Flux S for around 18 months. I have put about 280 hours (about 7700 kms) on it in that time using Zwift. No issues thus far so do not know how good the back-up service is from agents. Had to order a power cord as mine was lost in move to WC, and it arrived in a couple of days, no charge. Tacx is a Garmin product, so that's your back-up. I have no experience with the others, but would happily endorse the Flux S.

Thanks. Decided on the Flux S. Getting it at R9800 and fetching tomorrow. See you on Zwift :)