Cycleops/Saris Hammer issue - what would you do?

ians H2Sport

So I purchased my 2nd Cyclops Hammer under 3 years ago and set it up alongside my original H1. Kids and I can now train indoors together to avoid rainy day rides and to complete those mid week after hours intervals. Apart from a belt replacement a year or so in, the only annoying issue until now has been the failure of both original power packs. Both power packs and the belt were replaced through the local agents. Great service, quick response so limited downtime, all good so far. Then early on in a ride this week the resistance of the H2 drops. Blue light still on, just no resistance. Stopped the training session and try re-calibrate, same issue. Then tried a firmware update, blue light went to flashing red. Checked the net, indicators are that it could have been an overheating issue. Next day, tried again and immediately got the red flashing lights. Contacted the local agents and received an immediate response. They sent the courier same day and off it went. Next day, response :

"The Power supply shorts out whenever it is plugged into the unit. (Even with a 90 Degree jack). This indicates the unit has had a power surge and components on the motherboard are blown. Preventing the unit from providing any power to the board'. 

Great response time, great service, but long story short, under 3 years in I have to pay (albeit a discounted fee) for a new machine. 

I know there was no power surge, both Hammers were running off the same plug point at the same time, and before anyone suggests this, we don't get load shedding here for some awesome but bizarre reason. 

So I am a bitterly disappointed and angry customer who now has to fork out for a new machine. Yes, it is recently out of warranty and I cannot prove the power was working/on when I re-calibrated and updated firmware, so it is a he said/she said situation. So really it is a lose/lose scenario where they lose a customer and I have to purchase another machine. Hopefully it will last longer than 3 years. Interestingly my original H1 is still going strong, look out for it in the classifieds soon......

So I am selling off the H1 and buying 2x Kickr, what would you do?

Edited by ians H2Sport
Spelling

Sometimes in life, things go wrong. Just got to accept that. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a manufacturer to carry lifetime warranties on their products. If they were uncooperative while under warranty, that’s a different issue. Here you are out of warranty, and they have offered you a compromise.

Would I turn away from buying another Hammer? Probably not, unless there is something else that offers me comparable value for money 

Would I sell my remaining working hammer just because I’m upset with the manufacturer? No, that does seem a bit irrational/immature. You are complaining about having to pay in some money for the replacement hammer. The loss on selling your working hammer and replacing it with another new trainer will definitely exceed what you need to pay in on the replacement hammer

16 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Sometimes in life, things go wrong. Just got to accept that. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a manufacturer to carry lifetime warranties on their products. If they were uncooperative while under warranty, that’s a different issue. Here you are out of warranty, and they have offered you a compromise.

Would I turn away from buying another Hammer? Probably not, unless there is something else that offers me comparable value for money 

Would I sell my remaining working hammer just because I’m upset with the manufacturer? No, that does seem a bit irrational/immature. You are complaining about having to pay in some money for the replacement hammer. The loss on selling your working hammer and replacing it with another new trainer will definitely exceed what you need to pay in on the replacement hammer

Your position on this is respected, thanks. My frustration relates to having spent R15k for the machine, using it 2 to 3 times a week absolute max, and having to replace it in under 3 years. That is a pretty poor return, also considering I spent R1000 on replacing a failed power supply during that time. Average it all out, I got about 325 rides out of it, which is under 12000 virtual km. Consider all those rides were done by my kid, so low wear & tear. Yes, things do go wrong but would I pay close to that again for the same brand, nope. Selling the other machine is a bit of an emotional response, but I do have 2 machines set up next to each other, and having two different brands will make me even more emotional.... 

1 hour ago, Jehosefat said:

Claim from insurance. Your insurance should cover power surges so send them the note from the agents saying that's what caused the issue and you should have no problem.

Ja I thought about that, thanks. But I honestly do not believe it was a power surge. If that was the case I would not have been able to calibrate it or connect it to Zwift the next day

13 hours ago, ians H2Sport said:

Your position on this is respected, thanks. My frustration relates to having spent R15k for the machine, using it 2 to 3 times a week absolute max, and having to replace it in under 3 years. That is a pretty poor return, also considering I spent R1000 on replacing a failed power supply during that time. Average it all out, I got about 325 rides out of it, which is under 12000 virtual km. Consider all those rides were done by my kid, so low wear & tear. Yes, things do go wrong but would I pay close to that again for the same brand, nope. Selling the other machine is a bit of an emotional response, but I do have 2 machines set up next to each other, and having two different brands will make me even more emotional.... 

I hear you, but before you go out and buy a Kickr, do some reading on the forums - people are having their Kickr's written off for less (damaged belts, pc boards etc.)

I know it sucks, but the agent isn't able to do much else - the unit is out of warranty and cannot be repaired. The fact that they are offering you a new unit at a discounted price tells me that that they are a good agent and will be always be willing to assist.

As many others have already said, claim from insurance as it was a power surge that damaged the equipment.

I honestly think these things are all a bit delicate, just given the components and then on top of them, often without realising we totally abuse them. They are delicate electrical boards and components interacting with mechanical items. Work from home showed me homes are not kind on electronics. I clean my laptop weekly, but when you get a remote working team to come into the office for the first time in a few weeks. Look closely at those laptops. You will be disgusted....

I know my environment is worse than most(farm), but I now take the covers off the trainer every few months and clean out all the dust and stuff. If you have pets you will no doubt have hair in there as well. My dog loves sleeping next to the trainer. Some people leave them plugged in 24/7 as well. Then you have a domestic slopping a mop around an expensive electric item that sits on the floor because you sweat puddles. You also sweat onto the trainer unit, spill water fling lube etc etc. I had a friend using a chain cleaner with paraffin on a wahoo kickr, needless to say there will be no surprise if it croaks it.

Regarding the power and surges. We are on 3 phase direct from eskom, the number of surges or times a single phase is down is actually scary. Never mind during load shedding...

The other thing- before 12000km even a land cruiser needs a service. No one seems to think a trainer with spinning wheels and bearings need a service.

4 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I honestly think these things are all a bit delicate, just given the components and then on top of them, often without realising we totally abuse them. They are delicate electrical boards and components interacting with mechanical items. Work from home showed me homes are not kind on electronics. I clean my laptop weekly, but when you get a remote working team to come into the office for the first time in a few weeks. Look closely at those laptops. You will be disgusted....

I know my environment is worse than most(farm), but I now take the covers off the trainer every few months and clean out all the dust and stuff. If you have pets you will no doubt have hair in there as well. My dog loves sleeping next to the trainer. Some people leave them plugged in 24/7 as well. Then you have a domestic slopping a mop around an expensive electric item that sits on the floor because you sweat puddles. You also sweat onto the trainer unit, spill water fling lube etc etc. I had a friend using a chain cleaner with paraffin on a wahoo kickr, needless to say there will be no surprise if it croaks it.

Regarding the power and surges. We are on 3 phase direct from eskom, the number of surges or times a single phase is down is actually scary. Never mind during load shedding...

The other thing- before 12000km even a land cruiser needs a service. No one seems to think a trainer with spinning wheels and bearings need a service.

To say I am a bit anal about my things would be fair. I have a training room separate from my house (ex bar) and treat it like a mans room... (I even bought a separate vacuum cleaner for that room). Due to having lost a router to lighting early this year, I cut power to that room unless I am working or training there. I leave our road bikes on the trainers permanently and do all cleaning myself. Re the mileage, my mate sent me a screenshot of his Zwift Logon page, he has done 19506 km and 670 hrs and his wife has done 7346 km and 304 hrs on his Tacx, same machine, zero issues, no maintenance. That is the type of return I would really appreciate. If something goes wrong with it now, cool it has paid for itself. All considered, this is very much a 1st world problem, we are fortunate to be able to cycle as a sport and live the life we do. 

943353156_IMG_07251.JPG.ca93b5f7037a5d176a7ecbafe5c21049.JPG

2 minutes ago, ians H2Sport said:

To say I am a bit anal about my things would be fair. I have a training room separate from my house (ex bar) and treat it like a mans room... (I even bought a separate vacuum cleaner for that room). Due to having lost a router to lighting early this year, I cut power to that room unless I am working or training there. I leave our road bikes on the trainers permanently and do all cleaning myself. Re the mileage, my mate sent me a screenshot of his Zwift Logon page, he has done 19506 km and 670 hrs and his wife has done 7346 km and 304 hrs on his Tacx, same machine, zero issues, no maintenance. That is the type of return I would really appreciate. If something goes wrong with it now, cool it has paid for itself. All considered, this is very much a 1st world problem, we are fortunate to be able to cycle as a sport and live the life we do. 

how are you cutting the power to the room ?

Just now, The Ouzo said:

how are you cutting the power to the room ?

Separate DB board in the room, also unplug the aircon, router and trainers every evening 

8 minutes ago, ians H2Sport said:

Nice setup!

Mine is similar in that I also have 2x H1 trainers. My trainer has done over 15000kms and I have had no issues - I have conducted minor maintenance on the unit such as clean outs, and applying belt dressing to the belt. Other than that, it hasn't given me a moment's issue.

I think you have been a bit unlucky with your unit. I wonder if the lightning strike that you mentioned had anything to do with it?

I'm looking at upgrading my H1, so let me know if you are interested, will sell it you for a very good price.

2 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Nice setup!

Mine is similar in that I also have 2x H1 trainers. My trainer has done over 15000kms and I have had no issues - I have conducted minor maintenance on the unit such as clean outs, and applying belt dressing to the belt. Other than that, it hasn't given me a moment's issue.

I think you have been a bit unlucky with your unit. I wonder if the lightning strike that you mentioned had anything to do with it?

I'm looking at upgrading my H1, so let me know if you are interested, will sell it you for a very good price.

C'mon, send us a pic of your setup. 

The lightning hit the router only back in Feb, besides, I think the strike hit through the router cable, not the power, as it damaged one of the house routers ports too. No other damage fortunately.

You apply belt dressing? Interested to know what you use. 

H1, thanks but no thanks 

1 hour ago, MysticBlack said:

Get a Tacx, i have a Flux 2, 1 year old 29 152km done (Yes, I Zwift a Lot), no issues at all, doing a belt replacement once I hit 30k.

Geez, that is huge mileage, double what the average car does...... I am getting loads of positive feedback on Taxc, thanks for the feedback