Dad and son journey

Theunissa

All I can say is that you need to enjoy it and savour the time. Also make sure he knows you can crush him while you still can.

My son went through the plastic bike, 12inch, 20inch, 24 inch, 26inch and is now on a Pyga 29er. Starting varsity next year. 

Oh those heady days when I needed to push him up the hills, now he breezes past my leaden frame as I gasp for my next breath while climibing wolvespruit. Then proceeds to whizz around for another lap as I lie on the grass begging for deaths sweet embrace. 

My other son has no interest in cycling, which is wierd, so he does not come out with us anymore, but you will be amazed at how quickly the little tyke ends up whizzing past you, so savour the moments now, while you can push him up the odd hill etc.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Need to change the title to Dad and Child for those of us who have daughters to deal with. :) 

We have a 4yr old girl but she is learning so quickly from her older brother.
Took us literally a day to get her off of her training wheels. I now know of a winning trick if anyone is keen...........
We did it in the road (when it is quiet), using the centre line. I held onto the back of her seat (prepare for LOTS of running) and then just told her non stop "stay on the line" while she pedals along!!!
Up and down a hundred times (literally), slowly let go of the seat for short bursts and quickly they are riding on their own. You only have to assist them to get going and when they stop. That look of pride from them doing this themselves for the first time is priceless.

Worked a treat!!

10 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Took us literally a day to get her off of her training wheels. I now know of a winning trick if anyone is keen...........
We did it in the road (when it is quiet), using the centre line. I held onto the back of her seat (prepare for LOTS of running) and then just told her non stop "stay on the line" while she pedals along!!!
Up and down a hundred times (literally), slowly let go of the seat for short bursts and quickly they are riding on their own. You only have to assist them to get going and when they stop. That look of pride from them doing this themselves for the first time is priceless.

Worked a treat!!

running whilst crouched over holding the saddle is tiring. I eventually jammed a broom handle in the triangle behind the seat post going all the way down to the BB. That way I was able to run upright. (i think I picked up that trick on thehub)

Our history ....

Maritz grew up with those horid black scooter bikes .... he just did not want to get going on a bicycle.

January 2017 I took him to Hazendal, he was 5 and half.  He grew up camping on 4x4 trips.  He was barely 6 months old during their first trip to North Namibia .... so once he saw the mud he just HAD to go through it, again and again ....  He was hooked :thumbup:

85765051_Fiets1-4.jpg.110b9373d350ef493c6dc26075b0e1a7.jpg

1909012355_Fiets1-10.jpg.84ca060ca3178fc8c871802926ce97b7.jpg

Two weeks later it was time to get going without training wheels.

IMG_0709.JPG.69815b96bcea8d598f241fd6b4f01b60.JPG

Meerendal-42.jpg.5b2edd456809f2a2e09722a75ad373d9.jpg

By 5 years and 11 months we did the 12km loop of Hermanus trails.  Stopped a couple of times for sweets and photos on the 6km out lap .... My wife was waiting at Plaaskombuis .... nope, Maritz is running around and PLAYING while we wait for our food.  On the way back he just kept going and going ..... Back at the start I could not get him off the pump track ....

1493298387_HermanusTrails-10.jpg.83ee7352246e45040688df2d8e730698.jpg

Willow Creek 2017 .... our first event.  Pace was too high, and he ran out of steam .... but he REFUSED to get on the back-up vehicle !!  He soldiered on to the end.  

1892325079_WillowCreek-36.jpg.708c233157469e3809abbc9de1524165.jpg

Should mention here - Maritz is our godson.  We only get to ride every second Saturday ....

With him now solidly hooked on cycling we spoke to his parents .... the Totem went to their house, and we bought him a "proper bike" .... jip, over spending on a 20" is a right of passage for every parent ... :P

1987563321_Momsen-25(Large).jpg.d8505651151feb6286d733f3bf394d84.jpg

And then THEE best investment .... a schools skills coach .... (hulle luister beter vir Meneer as vir jou...)

Training-5.jpg.9e4bcdcd457b8f2a8c5491542b5fe141.jpg

His first Schools SPUR race was a wash-out .... litterally ... NOTHING could wash that smile off his face !!!

1806811306_SPURSW2018-110.jpg.f85e3de05babc7dbcdbe944c10d4adad.jpg

Fast forward .... he is now 11 years old and rocking a 26" Mongoose.  Our last event, Eselfontein 2022.

EF-44.jpg.fc5ba4acf4f7ae60d761baa551c40bc7.jpg

I am having to make peace with the reality .... only riding every 2nd Saturday limits his progress ....  More importantly, we are still having FUN on our rides :clap:

Edited by ChrisF

4 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Worked a treat!!

My grandfather made me ride under an umbrella with water running over the top. And he gave you that first push. So you learnt to get through or swim. 

My son still has a far way to go....

Screenshot_20221201-201427_Gallery.jpg.0a272f9174969cbb362953d77adb2890.jpg

My daughter though is really enjoying it. She's 4 years old. I took her to the 'famous' Rotorua redwoods where we did the simple family trails, we didn't intend to go far as her dad was walking our son in the pram (for a nap). She did just over 5km there. At home she can do 10km on our city cycling trails (quite flat here where I am next to the water ways). She's very skinny and have weak legs for the hills, but as long as it's flat she can just go and go..

Screenshot_20221201-202207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-203345_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-203429_Gallery.jpg

The twins loved their "new" bikes when I got them pedal bikes, upgrades from the push bikes. My son immediately took to it easily, but my daughter took a while. Once she got going though, she looked more aggressive on the bike ( crouched low and hammering it). My son permanently looks he is on a Sunday coffee cruise. Now she's off riding ( I'm letting her be and avoid forcing her to ride), but her brother still loves it. He did the Meerkat ( 1.5km) ride (mudfest) at the 947 and now keeps asking me when is his next race. ( he wears his Versus socks whenever he can "so people can see he's a cyclist" )

He loves riding the Spruit from trailhead up to Emmarentia but being on a single speed does struggle a bit every now and then...... I'll probably upgrade him to a 20" with some gears soon 

So installed a computer to measure speed amd distance. So now he can see how far he goes when I'm not done. I need to do some ground work at home. I'm guessing I can do 3-5km of single track at home. Problem is the time to do it. I will maybe just clear up the horse trails for now ( they seem to be able to squeeze through impossible places

20221201_195935.jpg

3 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

So installed a computer to measure speed amd distance. So now he can see how far he goes when I'm not done. I need to do some ground work at home. I'm guessing I can do 3-5km of single track at home. Problem is the time to do it. I will maybe just clear up the horse trails for now ( they seem to be able to squeeze through impossible places

20221201_195935.jpg

It seems the brake levers are fully "out".

If his hands are small it may help to adjust the set screw to bring the lever closer to the bar

Screenshot_20221201-200935_Chrome.jpg.c8309c18349248e54ae7c0e6c177c28e.jpg

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

It seems the brake levers are fully "out".

If his hands are small it may help to adjust the set screw to bring the lever closer to the bar

Screenshot_20221201-200935_Chrome.jpg.c8309c18349248e54ae7c0e6c177c28e.jpg

The gear shift also seems a bit far. He needs to push it alot. I will look for a Shimano one when I got funds and the brakes I think need new levers also the seem to wobble. But he does reach them fine. I check and adjust 

21 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

The gear shift also seems a bit far. He needs to push it alot. I will look for a Shimano one when I got funds and the brakes I think need new levers also the seem to wobble. But he does reach them fine. I check and adjust 

The gear shifts are "long stroke" ....  most kids needs to almost take their hand off the bar to their thumbs all the way ....

Stil better than those grip.shifters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...