Radar back light

DieMelkman

2 hours ago, DieMelkman said:

Thanks for all the feedback everybody! It is very insightful.

Another question - is there a way to attach a tether to the Varia?

I'm sure you can, but I've never found it necessary (and I've ridden some fairly chunky gravel with it on).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Cheabb78 said:

Very slightly off-topic, but can you mount the Varia to an aero seat post? I appreciate that there are various profiles, but just wondering. Thanks.

yes. It comes with 2 mounting 'insert thingies' - one for round posts and one for aero ones. damn annoying things as it drops out when moving it form bike to bike

another +1 for a rear radar unit - been riding with one for 2 years now, and apart from the actual bike and a bikefit, it's the best money spent. It's like a safety blanket.

I ride alone often on on high speed roads and some of those with no shoulder and it gives me opportunity to stick out and arm and wave. This does 2 things - gives the approaching driver a clue that there's a person ahead and care should be taken. When I see an oncoming car, I wave furiously, and without exception, the car behind has slowed and passed when it was safe. Actually, thinking like that, it makes the Garmin even better money spent that even my bike.!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Did some riding recently with a friend who has one, so the beeping also alerted me, and let us get into single file before anyone went past. I can see it being a very worthwhile investment.

2 hours ago, DieMelkman said:

Thanks for all the feedback everybody! It is very insightful.

Another question - is there a way to attach a tether to the Varia?

Seems there is no specific tether place like the head units have.
One solution seems to be to use the little screw near the charging port, to hold down a tether loop:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/251261/rtl515-tether-loop

But something like capediver's solution to stick on something would probably be the simplest.

24 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I'm sure you can, but I've never found it necessary (and I've ridden some fairly chunky gravel with it on).

The Garmin twist system of the RTL515 works well so the unit connects securely to the mount but the mounting system to the seatpost is not very good and if you don't hook the rubber bands to the mount properly, it can slip off, hence, good idea for a tether.

The newer RCT 715 has a new system based on other Garmin type mounts for their action cam and is rock solid with a cam lever to secure the unit into the mount and they have improved the seatpost mount altho it still uses rubber bands, they are easier to secure AND you can just cable tie the mount to your seatpost, something that you couldn't really do with the RTL515.

1 hour ago, capediver said:

The Garmin twist system of the RTL515 works well so the unit connects securely to the mount but the mounting system to the seatpost is not very good and if you don't hook the rubber bands to the mount properly, it can slip off, hence, good idea for a tether.

The newer RCT 715 has a new system based on other Garmin type mounts for their action cam and is rock solid with a cam lever to secure the unit into the mount and they have improved the seatpost mount altho it still uses rubber bands, they are easier to secure AND you can just cable tie the mount to your seatpost, something that you couldn't really do with the RTL515.

https://www.easybike.co.za/garmin-varia-seat-post-quarter-turn-mount.html

These are great. Much better than the rubber band mount.

Edited by MudLark

I have not found a glue which hold properly onto the Varia.  I used a self tapper with a tether  (SS fishing trace) into the one corner and all is good.  There is also a screw which holds the back rubber cover on and this I have used on my newer Varia.

I too don't trust bands 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:55 PM, Sepia said:

I have not found a glue which hold properly onto the Varia.  I used a self tapper with a tether  (SS fishing trace) into the one corner and all is good.  There is also a screw which holds the back rubber cover on and this I have used on my newer Varia.

I too don't trust bands 

Then maybe you haven't yet discovered EVO-STIK Sticks Like Sh*t (?)