MyWhoosh - free to use

Dexter-morgan

MyWhoosh is fine until it isn't.

And when it cr*ps the bed in the middle of a structured workout because you (a) adjusted the difficulty or (b) skipped a workout block, then you lose patience very quickly.

It's happened more than once to me.

Edited by MongooseMan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

MyWhoosh is fine until it isn't.

And when it cr*ps the bed in the middle of a structured workout because you (a) adjusted the difficulty or (b) skipped a workout block, then you lose patience very quickly.

It's happened more than once to me.

Thats why for structured workout plans i only use TR - My free rides would all be in MW or ZWIFT

On 10/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, lechatnoir said:

My attempts at MyWhoosh were not great.

Brand new notebooks, each with 8GB of ram are unsuitable... Probably owing to the 8GB, being the minimum and the GPU's probably not up to scratch. That MyWhoosh says that 64GB of ram is ideal should have been enough to make me think again.

Anyway, the install sucked. I needed DirectX and Vcredit to be installed to not throw DLL errors - not seen one of those for a while... thanks for the trip down memory lane... You'd think this could be validated as part of the install?

Then, the 3gb download ballooned to 16gb... but hey, it's free... can't complain, right?

Then I tried to run it, and I was a bit downcast that workouts had to be created from scratch with no import capabilities currently. 

When it finally opened up, I was able to connect all the goodies and then the display slowed to a light spin, then some unclipping, then to a stagger to finally halt completely, and instead of fps, it was more like frames/min....

So while it's free, it goes to show that sometimes things are worth what I pay—nothing.

It must be working for some of you reading this, and that's good. Perhaps I'll revisit it at some point when I have a new computer that has better specs. Until then, I'm riding outside. Or on Zwift if I must

I’m running it on a 10year Dell Inspiron 3500 series with 8GB Ram and i7 dual core processor. Graphics card is nVidia GeForce 2Gb card. Works ok but doesn’t render graphics as sharp as a newer machine might. 
My whoosh did import TodaysPlan workouts but since they closed shop this has fallen away. They are in discussions with Training Peaks so wel have to wait and see how that plays out.

Zwift and rouvy are still easier platforms to run with Tacx Training App the next level up in terms of hardware requirements.

one of the packages that’s great bang for your buck is Performance Pro. $99 for a three user license once off and there’s plenty of workouts to choose from 

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I’m running it on a 10year Dell Inspiron 3500 series with 8GB Ram and i7 dual core processor. Graphics card is nVidia GeForce 2Gb card. Works ok but doesn’t render graphics as sharp as a newer machine might. 
My whoosh did import TodaysPlan workouts but since they closed shop this has fallen away. They are in discussions with Training Peaks so wel have to wait and see how that plays out.

Zwift and rouvy are still easier platforms to run with Tacx Training App the next level up in terms of hardware requirements.

one of the packages that’s great bang for your buck is Performance Pro. $99 for a three user license once off and there’s plenty of workouts to choose from 

TP integration has been available for a long time already

Edited by shaper

Only if you have a premium TP account I believe. A coaches account will not pull the workouts into MW

40 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Only if you have a premium TP account I believe. A coaches account will not pull the workouts into MW

I don't have a paid athletes TP account, only the free one

My old HP laptop (still on windows 10) is not fully compatible with MW, but it loaded easily to my android cellphone. Have not used it as yet, as I only downloaded it yesterday (going to cast to my TV, as these old eyes will not see anything on the small cellphone screen).

Will it work, and what kind of problems can I expect to run into? Using a wheel on Saris M2 smart trainer.

8 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

My old HP laptop (still on windows 10) is not fully compatible with MW, but it loaded easily to my android cellphone. Have not used it as yet, as I only downloaded it yesterday (going to cast to my TV, as these old eyes will not see anything on the small cellphone screen).

Will it work, and what kind of problems can I expect to run into? Using a wheel on Saris M2 smart trainer.

I think it requires quite a powerful phone but the only gripe I have if that I cannot use a power meter as a cadence sensor, otherwise the set-up was super easy, I got it working on my Samsung A32 but its not smooth.

Yesterday was my 2nd session on MW, here some things i found while messing about.

1. I messed around with the graphic settings and changed Render Scale from Ultra to High which improved the graphics, especially my avatar. I have Post processing set to high and texture quality set to medium - Don't see much of a difference when i change these and i have no clue what these settings actually change.

2. The app crashed while i was messing about - gave a crash report which i have no clue what it was saying - but sent it off and rebooted the app.

3. During my training session where i was controlling through TR and riding a route in MW it froze. But so did TR so i would put that down to the wireless connection to the TV. Once i re-did the connection this time using HDMI cable it worked fine - But then MW crashed and I had to reboot it - No biggie as my session was in TR which carried on working, but i can imagine the irritation if i was doing a MW session only.

4. Had issue connecting the ANT+ or getting ANT+ to stay on in the settings. I switch it on and go back to devices and it would be switched off. I closed TR and went back to MW ANT+ which then seemed to connect. so clearly MW will not auto pick up a free ANT+ channel of which i have 2 on my laptop, both TR and ZWIFT will automatically connect with which channel is free. So the work around is to first fire up MW and connect and them fire up TR and connect. 

36 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I think it requires quite a powerful phone but the only gripe I have if that I cannot use a power meter as a cadence sensor, otherwise the set-up was super easy, I got it working on my Samsung A32 but its not smooth.

Thanks, I thought as much. Will give it a go a bit later this morning. If it works, it's a win. If it doesn't, I'll just uninstall it and go back to Rouvy.

Ps, my phone is a three year old Oppo, not top of the range either.

2 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Im using a 4th generation iPad Air with an A14 processor (Neural Engine etc). I leave the iPad plugged in on charge as its quite easy to run flat during a session, often before a 2hr session even completes from 100%.

Ive got graphics set to max

Im using a Kickr Bike for power, cadence, headwind (fan) and gradient control and my Garmin Fenix for HR.

Ive not had the app freeze on me in a long time, that said i probably use MW for only a couple of sessions a month, it is increasing now as Winter sets in,

Im surprised to hear of the crashes above.

Some feedback from an old dinosaur and fairly clueless MAMIL on MyWhoosh.

I installed the app on my Oppo A74 5G with 6.00 GB Ram yesterday. Paired it with my Saris M2 Wheel on Smart Trainer and my Garmin Instinct 2 watch this morning. Pairing was quick, painless and without hassle, it paired immediately (to my great relief) Did screen sharing / cast to my TV and got going. Only did a short 15km ride with minimal climbing (remember, I'm on the comeback trail after a lower back operation at the end of Feb this year, so I'm UNFIT.......)

We'll, it went swimmingly. No buffering or freezing, which was my main concern. As it is not augmented reality like Roovy, the scenery is obviously not real, but not too bad either. As I'm not an expert on any of the training platforms, I probably know no better, but this will meet my feeble requirements. I'll now spend some time on Youtube to get to know the app better in order to get the best out of it, for my needs that is.

It also synced with Garmin Connect and Strava with no issues. And that from a free to use application. 

Suffice to say, I'm a happy camper. 

2 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

The Garmin connection is news to me, last I heard this wasn't an option.

It synced without hassles.

good 

4 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

It synced without hassles.

good to hear as transferring files afterwards just sounded like a hassle - i will have a look over the weekend. I loaded the app on my Apple TV and did a VERY short spin and it seemed okay 

8 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

good 

good to hear as transferring files afterwards just sounded like a hassle - i will have a look over the weekend. I loaded the app on my Apple TV and did a VERY short spin and it seemed okay 

Don't take my word as gospel, it might also just be my watch that's sending the data to Garmin Connect, if that makes sense.

All I know, my ride info is on both Garmin Connect and Strava.

Ps. MMMmmmmmm, it might be because I recorded the ride on my Instinct also....... So tha't probably it. 🤔

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling