Grippy flat pedals

myhero

Hope F20s are pretty bomber. I had a OneUp Composite seize up in the middle of a bikepacking trip so I don't really trust them anymore.   

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, aiyaaz said:

I bought this pedal and as mentioned above, they're very grippy:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/nukeproof-horizon-pro-sam-hill-enduro-mtb-pedals/rp-prod186573

Still on special at CRC as well. Good idea to buy some extra pins and service kit as well if they're also on special. I had the Stamp 1 before, which is garbage compared to the Sam Hill.

Currently R900 excl.VAT (so call it R950 when your cc is charged).

Add VAT to that +1% "pfaff factor" = R1100.

Add R300 for 4 day EXPRESS shipping and you're looking at R1400 landed cost for these.

Throw in a service kit too and you will have them faster than buying online in RSA and a lot cheaper than many other pedals too. IMO i would pay the additional amount over the R900 Giant ones and would 100%  pay R500 less than the more pricey Giant pedals on that list for these...

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

The shape of pedal and what you do on it will also dictate how ‘grippy’ they feel.

Generally speaking you probably want a 100% flat pedal like the Saints or something with a slight concave in them that allows the sole of your shoe to bend and sink into the platform a bit. that gives you a super grippy locked in feel.
Some pedals are convex…as in they either have the pedal spindle raised in the middle or achieved by pins. These will give you more freedom on the pedal to move your foot around and are usually preferred by guys who jump and do tricks etc. As in you beed to be able to move your feet around on the pedals with ease but still have enough grip.

if you want a flat pedal that will give you that ‘locked in feel’ of a clipped pedal while stood on them, you’ll want a flat with some ‘concave’ in them. 

48DB84BC-794E-4EA2-BA96-5F22D32849C6.jpeg
edit: the stamps are as you can see slightly convex. It’s a common ‘issue’ with composite pedals because the spindle housing needs to be chunkier. Here are some VERY popular composite pedals with some concave in them. Apparently they feel just like the alloy ones in that regard.

https://trailtechcycles.co.za/collections/pedals/products/burgtec-mk4-composite-flat-pedals

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/burgtec-mk4-composite-flat-pedals.html

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/pedals-products/burgtec-mk4-composite-pedals

Very informative thanks

9 hours ago, Thermophage said:

Currently R900 excl.VAT (so call it R950 when your cc is charged).

Add VAT to that +1% "pfaff factor" = R1100.

Add R300 for 4 day EXPRESS shipping and you're looking at R1400 landed cost for these.

Throw in a service kit too and you will have them faster than buying online in RSA and a lot cheaper than many other pedals too. IMO i would pay the additional amount over the R900 Giant ones and would 100%  pay R500 less than the more pricey Giant pedals on that list for these...

These have great reviewes and they're currently less 58% but metal damage is unforgiving 🤔

Edited by myhero

9 hours ago, GHOST FACE said:

These are all the Giant pedals available in SA right now. https://www.dragons.co.za/giant/gear/?per_page=30&sort_by=1&filter[custom1][0]=PEDALS

I have these on my commuter ...

Screenshot_20221215-202014_Chrome.jpg.a48e281bb1e1d57ff7ebf93279d793cd.jpg

Obviously a lower price point.  Far exceeding my expectations 

The mountain bike about 5000km on these

20221215_201842.jpg.e10d7c8305126bd2674c596e8cadd5ee.jpg

It is doing good.  Sorry, not sure of the model number .... 2020 it was at the high end of their range.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I have these on my commuter ...

Screenshot_20221215-202014_Chrome.jpg.a48e281bb1e1d57ff7ebf93279d793cd.jpg

Obviously a lower price point.  Far exceeding my expectations 

The mountain bike about 5000km on these

20221215_201842.jpg.e10d7c8305126bd2674c596e8cadd5ee.jpg

It is doing good.  Sorry, not sure of the model number .... 2020 it was at the high end of their range.

Nice, and these have 10 pins 👍

I've been riding with Nuke Proof Electrons for the last 12 years (14 different bikes). At one stage I had 5 sets of them on the 5 bikes in the stable at that time (from a trials bike to a downhill bike).

They're one of only 2 things I keep consistent on all my bikes (the other being Renthal Fat Bars), and it's no coincidence that these 2 areas of contact (hands and feet) are where one has the most control over your bike (unless you have crazy strong butt-clenching skills).

Nukeproof Electron Flat Pedal Review - MBR

They're not the flashest, or the biggest platform. But they're that sense of decent performance and consistency I rely on. I also like that they have no centre pins, allowing a bit of float when tring to readjust a foot (also helps one's shoes last a bit longer)

That said, no flat pedal discussion is complete without acknowledging the rubber side. I'm a big fan of FiveTens. I know they cost a pretty penny and some think they're just an overpriced skate shoe... until they try them.

In my opinion the right footwear is equally as important as the perfect pedal. In fact in my case I've always gone for a decent (but not top spec) pedal (like the Electron) and spent a little more on the shoes (as you can see below 😅)

image.png.7aa4c1b12a044b2b61e085953fc6188c.png

May the flat pedal gods please forgive me for my moment of weakness when I tried cleats (fourth pair from the left). I soon saw the error of my ways.

Edited by patches

On 12/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, lechatnoir said:

+1 for Nukeproofs. They grip onto everything... shoes, shins, knees, other peoples' knees, car bumpers... 

Well said, I have a pair of DMR Brendog pedals but have wimped out and fitted cheap knobbly resin pedals as I have had to visit Mr Plastic surgeon to have my shin fixed and then have a number of very painful wound clinic sessions when it was reluctant to heal. Maybe weigh up your riding necessity or shin guards (although back of calf is also a tasty morsel for these pedals).

Also got some Nukeproof Neutrons I've been running for years across multiple bikes, they grip like crazy and just don't die. Pity they don't make the aluminium Neurons any more, but if you can get your hands on a set, don't hesitate.

Not sure if it has been said, but I love my e thirteen base flatties... crazy grippy and come with the option of monster pins or some less scary ones haha

I have Spank Alu pedals and Spez 2FO flat shoes. They are both very grippy and work in all conditions from rocky descents to flow line jumping and bike parks to just spending a day out on the bike riding far. Not the cheapest I agree, but they work well. After this combo I will never return to cleats again, at least not until I retire from riding like a hooligan.

To the guys saying the Nukeproof Horizon pedals are so good, is that experience with the Enduro or DownHill flat pedals? Or does it not really make a difference?

The Spank Spoon 110, is a very good pedal. Incredibly grippy compared to the DMR v12. It's more concave, so the shoe just sticks. Best regards J.C.