Best route to take in Jonkershoek for the DH line?

Troy Hussey

Taking my DH bike out to Jonkershoek soon and looking to do a few runs on the DH line… never been there before so does anyone know the best “route” or trails to follow to get to the top the quickest to be able to do the DH line a few times ? 

2 hours ago, Troy Hussey said:

Taking my DH bike out to Jonkershoek soon and looking to do a few runs on the DH line… never been there before so does anyone know the best “route” or trails to follow to get to the top the quickest to be able to do the DH line a few times ? 

E bike or just huge thighs?

2 minutes ago, capediver said:

E bike or just huge thighs?

But seriously,  there's only one real route to the top...the Irish climb....there are jeep tracks of course but you only got 1 day there right?

BTW you will impress us all if you manage more than 2 full DH runs on a conventional DH bike!!!

Ja, the climb to DH is substantial. Not too crazy, but enough to make you work for your lunch. The line though is worth every drop of sweat.

Quickest is probably Irish. The jeep tracks are also badly rutted after the recent rains. In some places its so bad you can't ride through the man sized dongas according to @MORNE

15 hours ago, capediver said:

But seriously,  there's only one real route to the top...the Irish climb....there are jeep tracks of course but you only got 1 day there right?

BTW you will impress us all if you manage more than 2 full DH runs on a conventional DH bike!!!

Does Irish start at the base of DH or would I follow a jeep track to get to it ? 

1 hour ago, Troy Hussey said:

Does Irish start at the base of DH or would I follow a jeep track to get to it ? 

There is a map and very adequate signage

Also, use trail forks if you are unsure.

But it is probably WAY less confusing if you just use the on site signage. It's point and shoot

3 hours ago, Troy Hussey said:

You can't miss the start to Irish as it's right after the gate as you enter and start going up the first jeep track. 

It's properly sign posted as well. You will do well to have trail forks on hand though to make sure you get on the right contour for the start of DH.

39 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

You can't miss the start to Irish as it's right after the gate as you enter and start going up the first jeep track. 

It's properly sign posted as well. You will do well to have trail forks on hand though to make sure you get on the right contour for the start of DH.

Yip, past the entrance boom, turn first left in about 50m, start climbing the jeep track, trail starts on left about 200m up the jeep track...all well sign posted...

• 1 month later...

I hope you have a proper casette and not a DH thing because you'll walk the whole way if that's the case. You can also head up as you go to Red Phoenix and you'll actually cross the DH between the Tom and middle sections. The climb up to that point is not to bad. Drop in from there and do the bottom two sections as the top is really just straight lining single-track and nothing to exciting. From the bottom you can go back to the gate and do it all over again, back to the top of DH2 you can either continue taking the next left and then another left( you'll be walking as they are steep) or walk up from the crossing. 

The Plumber might also be fun on a DH bike.