MTB Helmets: MIPS or Wavecell

Boscher

Looking to hear from riders who have experienced MIPS and Wavecell MTB helmets.

Buying a new helmet and would like to hear from others on their experiences with those two types of safety features.

8 minutes ago, Boscher said:

Looking to hear from riders who have experienced MIPS and Wavecell MTB helmets.

Buying a new helmet and would like to hear from others on their experiences with those two types of safety features.

Having both. Both are great systems that have proven to be a better option in helmets that have the technology, than those that don’t. 

Each have pro’s and con’s. Some argue that MIPS might be the beter option as it has been around longer than wavecell. 

Wavecell also have a slight weight penalty compared to MIPS, 30 or so grams. I don’t notice the difference when wearing a wavecell helmets to be honest. 

Ons noticeable thing between MIPS and wavecell is ventilation. The ventilation on my MIPS helmet is better. 

Here are my helmets for reference: 

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-helmets/wavecel-helmets/bontrager-xxx-wavecel-road-bike-helmet/p/25367/?colorCode=black

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-helmets/road-bike-helmets/bontrager-velocis-mips-road-helmet/p/14896/?colorCode=black

I had a Wavecell helmet, sold it shortly after I got it, it just gets too hot, the ventilation is terrible.

A side note though, I cant remember which Bontraget helmet it was, but the MIPS version was extremely uncomfortable, it had 2 "pressure points" it pushed on my head, that actually hurt, even just for the 10 seconds I had it on in the shop, same happened with a Specialized helmet I tried, but the Fox helmets I have now didnt do that, so definitely make sure you test fit them before buying.

I've only ever used FOX MTB helmets - last one I bought was a MIPS - Wow what a difference its very comfortable and sits proper on my pip

never tried wave cell so cant comment on the difference