specialized ebike wheel circumference

soslow

Hello good people.

Noob question alert.

I have noticed that some 29er ebikes show 2300mm and others show 2000mm wheel circumference on the mission control app. Why would they be diffferent ?  

Without using the calculator, I'd guess 2000mm is for a 26inch wheel and 2300 for a 29inch wheel

3 minutes ago, 117 said:

Without using the calculator, I'd guess 2000mm is for a 26inch wheel and 2300 for a 29inch wheel

Agree, 2075mm and 2314mm, so rounded 2000 & 2300.

So would i be correct in saying that adjusting the wheel size on a 29er to 2000mm , it would overide the 32km per hour assistance limit on the specialized?  

3 minutes ago, soslow said:

So would i be correct in saying that adjusting the wheel size on a 29er to 2000mm , it would overide the 32km per hour assistance limit on the specialized?  

Yes, put the wheel circumference as the smallest you can find - you'll be getting some extra free speed. 

Would it not be opposite? The wheel's doing 32+ but you're actually going slower (ie: wheel turns more revolutions to get you the same distance /speed/time stuff) 

4 hours ago, soslow said:

Hello good people.

Noob question alert.

I have noticed that some 29er ebikes show 2300mm and others show 2000mm wheel circumference on the mission control app. Why would they be diffferent ?  

My buddies 29" Turbo Levo also has the wheel set at 2000mm, and his assist goes to well over 40km/h, but you cant actually change it, Specialized has locked that size, you cant change it on the app

Edited by Chadvdw67

22 hours ago, 117 said:

Would it not be opposite? The wheel's doing 32+ but you're actually going slower (ie: wheel turns more revolutions to get you the same distance /speed/time stuff) 

With a big wheel (example), 100 revolutions per minute = 32km/hour, with a smaller wheel it would be (example) 150 revolutions per minute. So when you input a smaller wheel size than your actual wheel it will now only cut out at 150 revolutions and not 100, so more speed (eg 48km/hr).

Numbers above not accurate, just an example.  

download an app called Blevo if you are running a Specialized Turbo Levo  - it lets you change a lot of these parameters.

https://powunity.com/en/blevo-app-how-good-is-the-alternative-to-mission-control

Just read the manuals as well. You need to restart the bike once you have done the changes. I once did it all on my wife's bike and we did a whole ride with her complaining about no assistance and me scoffing at her cause i had done all this trickery to gte it to go faster.

26" wheel at 32 km/h will spin at 257 RPM

29" wheel at 32 km/h will spin at 230 RPM

you will be doing 35.7 km/h on a 29" wheel at 257 RPM

26" wheel @257 RPM will travel 533m per minute

29" wheel  @257 RPM will travel 594m per minute

A 26" wheel will spin at 287RPM to travel a similar distance. That will equate to 35.7km/h.

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

26" wheel at 32 km/h will spin at 257 RPM

29" wheel at 32 km/h will spin at 230 RPM

you will be doing 35.7 km/h on a 29" wheel at 257 RPM

26" wheel @257 RPM will travel 533m per minute

29" wheel  @257 RPM will travel 594m per minute

A 26" wheel will spin at 287RPM to travel a similar distance. That will equate to 35.7km/h.

Must also remember to take into account the extra to the circumference that the tyre will add, a 29" x 2.2 tyre will read a different speed to a 29" x 2.4 or 2.6 tyre because of the extra size

Edited by Chadvdw67

11 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Must also remember to take into account the extra to the circumference that the tyre will add, a 29" x 2.2 tyre will read a different speed to a 29" x 2.4 or 2.6 tyre because of the extra size

True, it will make a small difference, since some of the width increase result in a "height" increase.

12 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

There are number of factors that will change the exact circumference of the setup, even things like amount and design of the tread, tyre pressure etc. But for ball park calcs to show the small difference in speed, using rim size will suffice.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:42 PM, soslow said:

Hi Man, you wont be able to change the wheel circumference on mission control, you'll have to pop into your local spec retailer and have them do it for you on turbo studio. However, don't make the values less than 2000 other wise it strains the motor too much and voids warranty on it. they come set from factory at 2300, we always set them down to 2000. If you are in jhb i am happy to help you with this, you can get in touch with me via watsapp 082 545 4749, names Junior. 

Cheers

Download the blevo app. Best thing I ever did for my wife's bike.... way more tuneable than mission control. Increased limit to 40kph for flatter roads we ride and set smart power control to her ftp... game changer

Edited by Toasted marshmallows
More info

Yup, many of these "low mileage" used Levos are not in fact as low mileage as they seem...

I pointed this out when the dealer offered to change the setting on mine. The answer was "everyone does it" 😐