First Bike - Used Full Sus - R20-30k ish - Component cost advice?

RPearse17

Hey all, hoping for some advice on what is reasonable cost for componentry, and generally if my buying logic makes sense.

I have started cycling recently and the bug is biting. I am currently on my old childhood Mongoose (15 yr old hard tail, that I think is also too small. I have given it a service and cleats but I think its just getting a bit tired). 
The idea for now is to be riding at least once a week with family on the spruit, with the intention to ride 94.7s/Argus and ultimately things like Wines 2 Whales.

I think that previously loved always tends to give better bang for buck than new, just need to find a good deal.
So the first question would be: is second hand carbon as much of a problem as I think it is?
I seem to see mixed feelings when reading reviews, and am leaning on the side of carbon will be more likely to have damage. (Obviously need to have a look at bikes in person regardless, I'm just concerned that I wouldn't be able to see a problem even if it where there, as I don't really know what to look for.)

WRT components, I think XT or equivalent seems to be a reasonable point of solid components but not outrageously costed?

I think that I am looking for:

• 29 inch
  • Aluminium (Carbon?)
  • Full sus
  • XL (I am 187cm so a bit on the boundary between L/XL).
  • XT/equiv components all round
  • 1x / 2x (I know 1x is the more modern option, but suspect that I could find a good deal on 2x and nothing wrong here?)
  • Tubeless! :P

I have seen a couple bikes that fit my description, but I don't know if I'm looking at good deals or lemons, as I don't really know what this should cost?

Any advice on whether my thinking makes sense, and further whether something of this spec at around the R25k mark seems reasonable?

Also not sure if things like travel on shocks is something I should be worrying about for now?

Thanks in advance

Ross

the BIKE RADAR website has some good tips on achieving a good fit; at 187cm, you are mostly in XL territory, but let’s see what the hub says…

Bike size Frame size Rider height
Extra-small 13-14in 152-162cm (5ft – 5ft 4in)
Small 14-16in 162-170cm (5ft 4in – 5ft 7in)
Medium 16-18in 170-178cm (5ft 7in – 5ft 10in)
Large 18-20in 178-185cm (5ft 10in – 6ft 1in)
Extra-large 20-22in 185cm plus (6ft 1in plus)

…and nothing wrong - whatsoever - with looking at a 2x setup, either; actually allows a better chain-line run, in many cases, though 1x is very much in vogue presently, and has its own benefits, etc.

Paradoxically, the history of MTB was 1x (old school), then 2x, the the TRIPLE ring was invented, so…..much later……1x was, er, re-introduced! (the Cynic’s view to drive train development!)

15 hours ago, RPearse17 said:

Snip

Hey Ross

I am going to explain something but I am not comparing the one to another, I am merely trying to explain my point: 

When someone who knows nothing about the inner workings of a motor vehicle and walks into a mech shop whilst someone is busy stripping a gear box and asks: please quickly help me understand how the gearbox works :D

The point I am trying to make is that the answer is a bit more complicated and the cycling industry is also quite daunting when you just start out. 

To answer some of your questions:

XL

Carbon is fine and can easily be repaired if damaged, whereas alu will need to be welded etc. 

2nd hand will be a better option than new IMO 

The type of riding you mentioned is quite varied so you may be better off getting more than 1 bike. (gravel, hybrid, road for the black stuff) and a dual for the stage races. You can even go so far as to upgrade the current HT to become your bike on the road and the dual for the trails etc. 

But anyway, I am keen to assist you on your journey and if you need advice or guidance feel free to contact me 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Smorgasbord of spelling errors

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

the BIKE RADAR website has some good tips on achieving a good fit; at 187cm, you are mostly in XL territory, but let’s see what the hub says…

Bike size Frame size Rider height
Extra-small 13-14in 152-162cm (5ft – 5ft 4in)
Small 14-16in 162-170cm (5ft 4in – 5ft 7in)
Medium 16-18in 170-178cm (5ft 7in – 5ft 10in)
Large 18-20in 178-185cm (5ft 10in – 6ft 1in)
Extra-large 20-22in 185cm plus (6ft 1in plus)

Does this relate to dual sus because my HT is medium. A d I'm 1.63. But I habe normal upper body but short legs

5 hours ago, RPearse17 said:

Hey all, hoping for some advice on what is reasonable cost for componentry, and generally if my buying logic makes sense.

I have started cycling recently and the bug is biting. I am currently on my old childhood Mongoose (15 yr old hard tail, that I think is also too small. I have given it a service and cleats but I think its just getting a bit tired). 
The idea for now is to be riding at least once a week with family on the spruit, with the intention to ride 94.7s/Argus and ultimately things like Wines 2 Whales.

I think that previously loved always tends to give better bang for buck than new, just need to find a good deal.
So the first question would be: is second hand carbon as much of a problem as I think it is?
I seem to see mixed feelings when reading reviews, and am leaning on the side of carbon will be more likely to have damage. (Obviously need to have a look at bikes in person regardless, I'm just concerned that I wouldn't be able to see a problem even if it where there, as I don't really know what to look for.)

WRT components, I think XT or equivalent seems to be a reasonable point of solid components but not outrageously costed?

I think that I am looking for:

• 29 inch
  • Aluminium (Carbon?)
  • Full sus
  • XL (I am 187cm so a bit on the boundary between L/XL).
  • XT/equiv components all round
  • 1x / 2x (I know 1x is the more modern option, but suspect that I could find a good deal on 2x and nothing wrong here?)
  • Tubeless! :P

I have seen a couple bikes that fit my description, but I don't know if I'm looking at good deals or lemons, as I don't really know what this should cost?

Any advice on whether my thinking makes sense, and further whether something of this spec at around the R25k mark seems reasonable?

Also not sure if things like travel on shocks is something I should be worrying about for now?

Thanks in advance

Ross

Components I can't advise. But price. I always look what I think is reasonable and also compare to new price of item as well as what others ask for same item

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Hey Ross

I am going to explain something but I am not comparing the one to another, I am merely trying to explain my point: 

When someone who knows nothing about the inner workings of a motor vehicle and walks in to a mech shop whilst someone is busy stripping a gear box and then asks: please help me understand how the gear box works in less than 5 minutes. 

Now the point I am trying to make is that the answer is a bit more complicated than what can be divulged in one thread. 

But the answer to your questions

XL

Carbon is fine and can be more easily repaired than alu

2nd will be a better option than new

The type of riding you mentioned is quite varied so you may be better off getting more than bike (gravel, hybrid, road for the black stuff) and a dual for the stage races. You can even go so far as to upgrade the current HT to become your bike on the road and the dual for the trails etc. 

But anyway, I am keen to assist you on your journey and if you need advice or guidance feel free to contact me 

+1 on what Robert said. And I also think it would be a good idea to contact someone like him to ask a couple of questions. Threads can sometimes become cloudy with information overload. Being a keen follower of threads, I can vouch for his experience.

My two cents - you'd be able to buy a very very capable bike for R30k. Important to match your purchase to what you'll be riding. And you don't necessarily have to think 5-year plan. It can be a bike you'd want to ride for the next year. Currently the market is still quite fluid and you can easily sell and upgrade in a years' time or change from arguments' sake a decent HT to a full sus.

You're welcome to DM me some of the bikes you are looking at for comments & advice as well.

Just reading your post, one can tell that you have done some research and have already built up some good knowledge. 

XT is good, but not necessary. There are some very good lower tier components that will do the job just as well, but at a cheaper point. SLX and Deore are good examples. 

With your budget, check out Titan Racing. You'll get a new bike for budget, with an industry leading warranty. 

17 hours ago, burger 555 said:

There are a couple of good deals on here. Scrolling through I quickly found this one that might work for you. All depends on how much travel you want and what terrain you will be riding most. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/611127/merida-96600

Grab This Now

Priced to Sell (Fox Front and Back)

Edited by dasilvarsa

The Silverback Sido's are great value. Nothing on these bikes is cheap, they go for 17 to 20K. I have bought two the past year and a bit, my mate also bought two - three Sido 1's and one Sido 3. Most are medium or large, possibly wait for an XL, try find one in South Africa.

19 hours ago, burger 555 said:

There are a couple of good deals on here. Scrolling through I quickly found this one that might work for you. All depends on how much travel you want and what terrain you will be riding most. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/611127/merida-96600

This is a good deal - Spec wise.

Just make sure when you looking at used carbon frames you go over every inch to check for cracks and damage especially at the BB, pivots & corners.

If i find what i think is a crack i spray some penetrating oil and place some torsion or twist into the frame back and forth - if the oil bubbles out and sucks back in where the crack seems to be = don't touch it find another deal

7 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Free Advertising ! Me No Likee !

We all KNOW @Titan Racing Bikes have a WIDE range of bikes,  from entry level all the way up.

We KNOW they have one of thee best warranty policies.

Whats even better, they take the time to interact on the Hub 👍👍

By all means, give "free advertising" to the other bike brands that tick these three boxes - for bikes in this price range.