Advise required re power meter

ycowley

Okay, so I am totally new to this power meter thing.

I have: -

1. Road bike (I use this mainly on the indoor trainer)

2. Mountain bike (mainly used for on road but sometimes off road)

3. Tribike (used for doing triathlons and sometimes in The Cradle, currently using it on road as I have a stress fracture so need minimum force, Voortrekker Monument uphill training, etc.)

4. Polar Pacer Pro

A lot of my tri training is power based so wondering if it is worth getting a power meter . If so, what do you suggest please and what will I require as additionals?

What crank do you have on your road and tri bike?

If the same then look at a Stages or 4iii which you can transfer as and when required.  Alternatively look at Assioma pedals

Pacing is now everything in triathlon and pacing to power is the way to go.  Hence training and racing to power on a road or tri bike.

MTB I would not bother considering.

Edited by shaper

A word of caution when transferring a crank based PM from one bike to another… make sure your threads are clean, greased and torqued to spec.

I did that for 4 years before investing in a second PM. Cross threading is a a reality.

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A word of caution when transferring a crank based PM from one bike to another… make sure your threads are clean, greased and torqued to spec.

I did that for 4 years before investing in a second PM. Cross threading is a a reality.

guess the same goes for swapping pedals - how many threads are there about cross-threaded pedals (pun intended)

You have all missed the point here.

You now have a good reason to upgrade all bikes 🙃

Gold standard would be crank based on all bikes.

but if pushed rather get power pedals. either Assioma or Garmin both are great.

i currently have Garmin pedals and swap them across bikes all the time - takes 2 min

as for the MTB, its less important there to be honest.

but again Garmin pedals have the option to change the spindle to different pedals bodies. so you can have both MTB and Road using a single PM by just swapping out the pedal body.

(i've never done this myself but it is possible)

the catch being Garmin Pedals are not cheap - feel free to PM me and i will workout a price for you on garmin options.

Edited by Furbz

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

You have all missed the point here.

You now have a good reason to upgrade all bikes 🙃

Gold standard would be crank based on all bikes.

but if pushed rather get power pedals. either Assioma or Garmin both are great.

i currently have Garmin pedals and swap them across bikes all the time - takes 2 min

as for the MTB, its less important there to be honest.

but again Garmin pedals have the option to change the spindle to different pedals bodies. so you can have both MTB and Road using a single PM by just swapping out the pedal body.

(i've never done this myself but it is possible)

the catch being Garmin Pedals are not cheap - feel free to PM me and i will workout a price for you on garmin options.

The process of swopping the pedal body is quite straightforward -> 

You'll do it for the first few times and then buy another garmin pedal set, believe me 🤣. Doesn't take away from the point that it isn't a complicated process. 

26 minutes ago, Dappere said:

You'll do it for the first few times and then buy another garmin pedal set, believe me 🤣. Doesn't take away from the point that it isn't a complicated process. 

to true - everyone is lazy. and easy as changing the pedal body out - i'd see it as to much of a hassle and end up riding without it on the MTB.

I have a MTB power crank and the only time i've ever really needed it was to keep myself within a limit i set for stage racing. and that on the flats and long uphills - just to make sure i do not overdo it and blow the following day.

for the most part on any other ride - steep hill = all the power my legs can generate, the alternative being grinding to a halt.

If crank based powereter be sure to check the clearance on the chainstay. Most bikes have enough clearance but my checkpoint for instance doesn't 

I have a 4iii on my MTB and I like it for 3 reasons. Helped me pace ultra long distance rides. Nice to see power surges and back to threshold on long switchback climbs ... Motivational cos it makes me feel.like I'm doing intervals. And third... I love geeking out on all the pretty numbers.

There are a few gamechangers in cycling kit imho. Dropper posts, powermeters, varia radar.