Some clarity on the MTB TV situation post Red Bull

Headshot

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/podcast-chris-ball-talks-discovery-eso-and-the-future-of-world-cup-racing.html#cid3480796

I have done a quick check on GCN+ which seems to be our option. According to the app its available to us in SA at around R720 p/a or R125 pm. Does anyone else here subscribe already? I seem to recall some issues around its availability? If it is available its not that expensive and maybe worth taking a month to see if coverage is any good, just not sure how it will integrate with my android box. 

Comments and advice plz. 

I’ve got it, signed up for the annual subscription as it seemed to be enough of a discount to easily justify it. Have had no issues so far except in the recent vuelta a San juan which wasn’t a GCN issue, was a general all round coverage issue.

Some of the races are geo-restricted though, so just check out beforehand that the ones you want to watch are being shown in SA, or you might also need to use a VPN 👍 the nice thing is that you don’t have to watch it live, if you’re at work etc you can come home and watch it at a later stage from the start, I wouldn’t always necessarily remember to record it on DSTV

Unfortunately not sure on the android box thing though, I just have the GCN+ app loaded on my Samsung smart TV and it plays from there, similar to Netflix etc

Been using it since it came out. As others have said, if you enable a UK VPN you can watch everything otherwise certain stuff is geo-restricted. 

The app has improved a lot since the beginning and there is now an Apple TV version which is a bit easier to live then Airplay. I really like that there are no ads and the long highlights are also great if you miss a stage but want a bit more than just a 5 minute highlights package. 

If it is available on Apple TV it’s most likely available on an Android box too. Generally I’ve been really happy with it. 

4 hours ago, Spookie said:

I’ve got it, signed up for the annual subscription as it seemed to be enough of a discount to easily justify it. Have had no issues so far except in the recent vuelta a San juan which wasn’t a GCN issue, was a general all round coverage issue.

Some of the races are geo-restricted though, so just check out beforehand that the ones you want to watch are being shown in SA, or you might also need to use a VPN 👍 the nice thing is that you don’t have to watch it live, if you’re at work etc you can come home and watch it at a later stage from the start, I wouldn’t always necessarily remember to record it on DSTV

Would you need a VPN if watching it later ?

On 2/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, ChrisF said:

Would you need a VPN if watching it later ?

Yeah so you only have access to the replays of races that you would have been able to watch live as far as I’m aware… was a bit bummed the cx world champs wasn’t streamed for SA, but luckily someone posted a link on another forum!

I guess that's the end of my watching WC MTB after all these years sadly 🤔

But it is what it is as the cool kids say