Ironman 70.3 / Race nutrition and products (Strategy)

JC

Hi Everyone,

Browsed through the forum, didnt manage to get an answer. 

What combination of energy drink or whatever you put in your bottle PLUS gel or bar do you use?

The energy drinks that I have on my shortlist:

Bars and Gels.. not sure. A few people mentioned (older topics) that certain drinks + gels don't work well together. I guess the best way would then be to start with the drink and test from there as it would be easier and cheaper.

Any reccomendations would be welcomed. Thank you!

Howzit,

For the full IM last year I did my training using the supplements that would be available on race day - Maurten gels and drink mix in my bottles. It wasn't cheap but I wasn't taking chances. Best advice is to use what you have used during training and not to try something new on race day.

6 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Howzit,

For the full IM last year I did my training using the supplements that would be available on race day - Maurten gels and drink mix in my bottles. It wasn't cheap but I wasn't taking chances. Best advice is to use what you have used during training and not to try something new on race day.

Thanks! They are going to have Maurten again. Where did you buy yours?

3 minutes ago, JC said:

I'm from PE so I got mine from Wayne Pheiffer Cycles. 

For the love of your GI don't take anything with protein in it. The best endurance products are the simplest. Look at the ingredients of Maurten gel and drink mix, there are a few affordable local guys that do very similar mixes.

A lot of brands add things you don't need to try and justify a higher price.

Ingredients
By proportion
    Maltodextrin
    Fructose
    Pectin
    Sodium alginate
    Sodium chloride

28 minutes ago, JC said:

Only use what you will get on course unless you decide to carry all your own.  So try out now and make sure it works for you.

Maurten stockists https://maurtenfuel.co.za/cat/stockists/

If your read the athletes guide, it lists everything that will be at the aid stations

For Bike - Water/Gatorade/Maurten Gels/Biogen Bars

For Run - Water/Gatorade/Maurten Gels/Biogen Bars/Coke

Edited by shaper

31 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Howzit,

if I won the lottery I wouldn't tell anyone, but there would be signs....

7 minutes ago, dave303e said:

if I won the lottery I wouldn't tell anyone, but there would be signs....

🤣

45 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Best advice is to use what you have used during training and not to try something new on race day.

^^ THIS ^^

As a diabetic I was worried about what to use during an event and what would be safe.

FIRST thing the dietitian told me was to use the same "items" during exercise that I use will using during the event.

First couple of long exercise rides my tommy was "not happy" for a day or two.  Then got used to it.  Now I know what to do, and WHEN to do it.  Garmin is set to beep to remind me at set intervals.

Recovery meal after the event, and tomorrow I am ready .... well, my legs, not my "behind" ...

I’ve been using Enduren and very happy with it. Neutral taste, all natural ingredients and no problems so far. 

very reasonably priced as well. 

If you are asking this question for the 5 March race it is probably race nerves and tapering kicking in. My suggestion would be to stick with what you trained with as all your long sessions should be done by now. To lend out your ears at this time and get advice what works for other people would be a recipe for disaster as nutrition is highly individual. Just my 2 cents worth.