Forks consumables and tools - where to buy?

RiverInTheRoad

Hi All

Doing more DIY suspension servicing and tuning these days and I am struggling to find the following tools and spares. Can the bikehub expert point me in the right direction?

I need:

• 32 mm chamferless socket
  • Slickoleum grease or slick honey
  • Fox lower removal tools
  • Fox 20wt gold oil

Some moegoe also damaged the nuts that that screw onto the airshaft and dampershaft of my Fox 36, where can I can replacements of these without having to sell a kidney? I assume Fox would sell these as spares?

The chamferless socket is an easy DIY

Buy a 6 sided 32mm socket from a tool stoor

Attach to a battery drill and rotate slowly, while grinding the tip flat ....

Take it slow, and cool down n water regularly.

Mine works perfectly

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The chamferless socket is an easy DIY

Buy a 6 sided 32mm socket from a tool stoor

Attach to a battery drill and rotate slowly, while grinding the tip flat ....

Take it slow, and cool down n water regularly.

Mine works perfectly

Thanks, I will try that. On what did you grind the tip? Sanding paper?

Just now, RiverInTheRoad said:

Thanks, I will try that. On what did you grind the tip? Sanding paper?

I have a small bench grinder.

Cant recall if I used the grinding stone side, or the belt sander side.

Helps to have a 1/2" to 3/8" reuder, to fit the extender in the chuck

I got a 32mm spanner and just make sure its flat when loosening and tightening the nut but the socket and drill to sand it down is a good idea.

You can get Sram butter (alternative to slick honey) and Fox oil from Solomons Cycles and a number of others also sell it.

I've never needed the lower removal tool, socket on the nut and rubber mallet has worked for me.

What is very useful is a seal installing tool. 

Edited by Marcv

Also replacement crush washers, a syringe to inject the oil into the lowers and some foam washers. You will also need the Fox Teflon oil (or substitute) for the damper leg, unless you are running a Fit4 damper. The foam washers can be cleaned with brake cleaner, but I have never ever got them squeaky clean, so I tend to replace them. Any dealer should be able to get the Fox stuff through Omnico and the SRAM butter through Cape Cycles

The foot nuts on both sides will have to be replaced, not super expensive but tricky to do correctly

You need good shaft clamps , red locktite , good torque wrench and a good set of crowfoot sockets 

the damper will also have to be bled after and you will probably also need a heatgun 

Also if you're replacing the foot nuts anyway you want to replace the spring and detent ball on the damper side for rebound clicks.

ESPECIALLY if its a older fit or fit4 damper 

14 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Hi All

Doing more DIY suspension servicing and tuning these days and I am struggling to find the following tools and spares. Can the bikehub expert point me in the right direction?

I need:

• 32 mm chamferless socket
  • Slickoleum grease or slick honey
  • Fox lower removal tools
  • Fox 20wt gold oil

Some moegoe also damaged the nuts that that screw onto the airshaft and dampershaft of my Fox 36, where can I can replacements of these without having to sell a kidney? I assume Fox would sell these as spares?

You don't say where you are, but we can get all the things if you're in CT, and if you're not we can ship to you. None of these things are hard to find if you know where to look.

PM me an email address and we can chat there.

4 hours ago, thebob said:

Also replacement crush washers, a syringe to inject the oil into the lowers and some foam washers. You will also need the Fox Teflon oil (or substitute) for the damper leg, unless you are running a Fit4 damper. The foam washers can be cleaned with brake cleaner, but I have never ever got them squeaky clean, so I tend to replace them. Any dealer should be able to get the Fox stuff through Omnico and the SRAM butter through Cape Cycles

If your foam rings are dirty your seals are finished. Replace the lot. Cleaning them with brake cleaner will give you the warm and fuzzies while wearing your fork out.