Action Cam options

The Ouzo

I was going through a few Youtube vids of the 2023 CTCT to show the family what its like and the wife joked about getting an action cam for my bike.

This got me thinking, next year is #21 for my mate, so we will ride together, the year after is #21 for me, so we will ride together. It might be a nice little momento to have some footage of us.

But I know new GoPros, especially the latest versions, are rather pricey.

So, do I start looking at used GoPros, or look at other brands.

There is no budget for this, so the preliminary investigation would be into options and their pricing so that I can try and work towards getting something. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would HIGHLY recommend an Insta360 OneX or OneX 2 or OneX 3. It is so nice to be able to frame your shot afterward and with all the clamps and mounts that are available, you won't be limited with creativity. The Insta360 app is also a joy to use. You can do the editing in APP before exporting, they have plenty drafts or templates to use making it even easier. 

No doubt it is the way to go. 

Oh and if you swing fro gopro go for the 11 

the recent updates have all added a lot of value 

I'm still on a Gopro 8 and its still kicks ass but if paying for new it would be hard for me between the insta and hero 11 

Second hand action cams are hit and miss , i have scored big time but have many friends that got sold lemons 

I regret not upgrading to the insta, the footage it captures is effortlessly good.

if you must get a gopro, make sure you get from the 7 black and up, as from this model that had the really good “gimble “ effect which is a must for vibrations.

36 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

I would HIGHLY recommend an Insta360 OneX or OneX 2 or OneX 3. It is so nice to be able to frame your shot afterward and with all the clamps and mounts that are available, you won't be limited with creativity. The Insta360 app is also a joy to use. You can do the editing in APP before exporting, they have plenty drafts or templates to use making it even easier. 

No doubt it is the way to go. 

never heard of this brand. not cheep!

https://www.takealot.com/insta360-one-rs-twin-edition/PLID90447429

While looking at this from a cost perspective ....

video editing ....

software ....

hardware ....

harddrives ....

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

While looking at this from a cost perspective ....

video editing ....

software ....

hardware ....

harddrives ....

hardware and hardrives not a big issue. I'm pretty decently setup with apple stuff from doing photography. 

Software, I guess depending on what I want to do could be an issue.

16 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

hardware and hardrives not a big issue. I'm pretty decently setup with apple stuff from doing photography. 

Software, I guess depending on what I want to do could be an issue.

Devinci is free but takes some time to learn 

8 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Devinci is free but takes some time to learn 

imovie is also free, but Ive never really used it much, so not sure of its capabilities or restrictions.

I have been a GoPro fanbooi since the Hero 3 and have had it as the mainstay of most of my action cam arsenal...also tried the Garmin VIRB 30 ULTRA but Garmin got left behind in the tech race for stability, FPS and image quality but it is still a pretty decent piece of kit and the editing software is still ok and works well if you want GPS gauge overlays

Lately I have been using the Insta360 X3 and it is a fantastic camera and ALMOST (ALMOST) is the single action camera you need, light, good stability, constantly updated firmware, good easy to use App and no issues importing footage direct into Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro (comes with a plugin that is installed when you download their Studio version for editing). The Studio version is OK and you can do basic editing and re-framing of 360 footage but you cannot string a number of clips together into a video...so you need another full editor like PP or FCP.

So ALMOST, because the GP will always be more rugged and take a proper beating...the front lens is replaceable (unless you use the Max Mod but even then if you scratch that lens, you buy another.....any other 360 camera including the GP Max, if you scratch that lens its bricked!), the new stabilisation and horizon levelling on the 11 just makes the camera so easy to use. Oh and built in GPS...the Insta360 does not have this and you need to have it hooked to your phone to embed GPS data or use the expensive remote accessory...and it needs to always be connected so battery life suffers and you end up with long clips to be trimmed...every time you switch off the camera, the link to your phone has to be re-established for the next clip...PITA!

So GoPro FTW if its true action rugged video stuff, Insta360 if it's just run of the mill, low impact.

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

imovie is also free, but Ive never really used it much, so not sure of its capabilities or restrictions.

Ja, better check that, I don't think iMovie recognises GoPro codecs which is their own proprietary codec ...you may have to first convert GoPro footage to mp4...