Garmin Edge 130 - will it help me follow Strava routes?

Randolph

Hi - I need something to help me follow a Strava route without having to dig out my phone the whole time. I dont want to put the phone on a handlebar mount. So was wondering if the Edge 130 can do this? Thanks!

You can send Strava gpx routes to the Edge 130 and then navigate that route but there is no base map on the Edge 130 so you just get a basic B&W  "line" drawing of your route and it will navigate you along those lines, no street names etc etc

Try to get the plus version tho....a few more features

Great resource for review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/06/garmin-edge-130-plus-in-depth-review.html

The 130 doesn't have base maps, as capediver says - but it still gives you a breadcrumb trail which will be fine if you're not going too fast or on technical terrain, since you have to keep your eye on it quite closely.

For something with maps installed and turn-by-turn nav, you'll need a 520 or higher.

4 hours ago, Randolph said:

Hi - I need something to help me follow a Strava route without having to dig out my phone the whole time. I dont want to put the phone on a handlebar mount. So was wondering if the Edge 130 can do this? Thanks!

You can download a route onto the 130 and then ride that route. It's not as nice as Strava on a mobile phone though.

4 hours ago, Randolph said:

I think it depends on how serious & how often you want to follow Strava routes (and I assume in places that are unfamiliar to you)

If only very occasionally, sure the breadcrumb thing on the 130 will do the basic job for navigation. But if regularly I think the limitations on the 130 will probably outweigh the usefulness and just frustrate you.

Even on devices like the 520/530 with better features the navigation can be temperamental at times. Just this weekend I got a bit lost in the Riviersonderend mountains trying to navigate a private mountain pass on the 530 😃

If you want to navigate regularly, I wouldn't go with anything below the 530. 

The 130+ is single handedly the best unit garmin makes for users who do not need maps functions.

having owned a 520, 530 1040 solar and now the 130 Plus.

i love my 130 plus the most - if i ever need maps for a ride i will obviously have to upgrade.

if i needed maps i'd wait for the replacement of the 830 - touch screen is a big benefit

12 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I think it depends on how serious & how often you want to follow Strava routes (and I assume in places that are unfamiliar to you)

If only very occasionally, sure the breadcrumb thing on the 130 will do the basic job for navigation. But if regularly I think the limitations on the 130 will probably outweigh the usefulness and just frustrate you.

Even on devices like the 520/530 with better features the navigation can be temperamental at times. Just this weekend I got a bit lost in the Riviersonderend mountains trying to navigate a private mountain pass on the 530 😃

If you want to navigate regularly, I wouldn't go with anything below the 530. 

having used the navigation on the 130,I would not use it for anything other than road cycling. I think once you hit offroad it will just frustrate the heck out of you. 

Even on the road its not brilliant. It works, but just.

2 hours ago, Randolph said:

Thanks everyone- very useful feedback. I think I will just poach my wife’s old iPhone and get a bicycle mount  

The 130 is mostly fine for mountain and good enough for roads. If you're on the mountain and there's a fork on the trails it won't really tell you which split to take. 

An older phone with Strava might work better for your use case. 

4 hours ago, Furbz said:

The 130+ is single handedly the best unit garmin makes for users who do not need maps functions.

having owned a 520, 530 1040 solar and now the 130 Plus.

i love my 130 plus the most - if i ever need maps for a ride i will obviously have to upgrade.

if i needed maps i'd wait for the replacement of the 830 - touch screen is a big benefit

How's the screen compared to edge 500. My 500 getting old now. So starting to look at replacement. I just use the basic stuff like hr, speed, cadence, elevation, grade etc

15 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

How's the screen compared to edge 500. My 500 getting old now. So starting to look at replacement. I just use the basic stuff like hr, speed, cadence, elevation, grade etc

500 and 705 are the original workhorse models.

They did everything required and a bit more.

Managed to get the battery on my 705 replaced which gave it a new lease on life ... so much so that the 130 is still sealed in its box. 🙈

7 hours ago, Theunissa said:

They are better. 
side by side there is a difference.

If your battery is still getting you through your rides then the screen is not a big issue.

For me the addition of crash detection, live tracking and radar compatibility are big bonuses