[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

On 5/16/2023 at 10:03 AM, KingZA said:

Anyone have a GPX file for the new route?

was this ever shared?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Kom said:

was this ever shared?

It was not (yet). If you do some Strava stalking you can find the rides done to make the video of the new route. Unlikely to be 100% accurate, but gives you an idea…

@The Gallows with the weather forecast looking “interesting” for next Saturday, is there any chance of a drop bag type situation, where we give you a small bag of stuff at registration to be taken up to the finish?

just thinking it might be nice/essential to change into something warm and dry as soon after the race as possible, especially if folks are going to be hanging around at the finish.

Would this be possible?

Just now, MongooseMan said:

@The Gallows with the weather forecast looking “interesting” for next Saturday, is there any chance of a drop bag type situation, where we give you a small bag of stuff at registration to be taken up to the finish?

just thinking it might be nice/essential to change into something warm and dry as soon after the race as possible, especially if folks are going to be hanging around at the finish.

Would this be possible?

Hey Mongoose. Yeah, we will have a vehicle at the registration that will take everyone’s warm stuff up to the finish 👌 It’s going to be chilly up there!

17 minutes ago, KieserJ said:

Hey Mongoose. Yeah, we will have a vehicle at the registration that will take everyone’s warm stuff up to the finish 👌 It’s going to be chilly up there!

Nice!

On 5/25/2023 at 10:08 PM, Kom said:

was this ever shared?

THE GALLOWS 2.gpx

Here's the new GPX.

* The route runs through 3 private farms from 44-50km. The farmers are chill with us racing through their property on Saturday but not sure they'll be pumped on guys riding there after the race.

See you all on Saturday 😘

25 minutes ago, KieserJ said:

😮‍💨 Ok ok looking a whole lot better than what last week was saying. 🙏 🤞 

head wind up the climb. Great. 😐

Yeah, rain forecast is improving, wind forecast not so much

2 hours ago, realjhk said:

Pretty sure the weather should be the least of our worries 😫

I can vouch for this comment.

In “champagne” conditions this weekend, i explored the course and found it quite tough. There will be few flowing/rolling hills to make up time, expect some decent technical sections and thats before the return through town to do the climb to lords, then up galge, and then that beast to the mast.

Expect wet shoes in the first 15km at the first river crossing, its got decent size boulders not for an easy ride through on “skinny” wheels, if you walk, your feet will not dry easily in the low temps that follow, so consider a strategy of even taken shoes and socks off (i know this sounds dramatic, but wet feet in freezing temps is terrible).

If its a challenge you were after, this is as good as it gets!

GOPR0295.jpeg

GOPR0310.jpeg

GOPR0303.jpeg

GOPR0312.jpeg

GOPR0290.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kom said:

I can vouch for this comment.

In “champagne” conditions this weekend, i explored the course and found it quite tough. There will be few flowing/rolling hills to make up time, expect some decent technical sections and thats before the return through town to do the climb to lords, then up galge, and then that beast to the mast.

Expect wet shoes in the first 15km at the first river crossing, its got decent size boulders not for an easy ride through on “skinny” wheels, if you walk, your feet will not dry easily in the low temps that follow, so consider a strategy of even taken shoes and socks off (i know this sounds dramatic, but wet feet in freezing temps is terrible).

If its a challenge you were after, this is as good as it gets!

GOPR0295.jpeg

GOPR0310.jpeg

GOPR0303.jpeg

GOPR0312.jpeg

GOPR0290.jpeg

Cool, have put a race on in the area and nice that people are doing more!

Wet feet? The horror!

Good luck to everyone doing this.I’m extremely satisfied with my decision to skip this after seeing that weather profile.

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Wednesday update.

for the sake of your mental health maybe don’t look at the Y-axis on the wind graph, or the wind arrows 🙈

IMG_2028.png

I found that this app is not very reliable....

Likely the weather will be even worse... 😄